In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Why are Sprinter vans so expensive? We will review the costs of Mercedes Sprinter vans and talk about their reliability and the reasons they are so demanded.
Why are Sprinter vans so expensive?
The main reason why Sprinter vans are so expensive is that they are demanded. The cheapest new Sprinter van you can buy costs between $35,000 and $45,000, which is quite costly for a van, you might say. Why is that?
- One of the critical features of this model is the movement of a large number of passengers or cargo. It is of particular interest to large families and companies, such as personal or corporate transportation. Thanks to this, Mercedes has assumed a leadership position in companies dedicated to the transport of people.
- The 2.2-litre engine and five-speed gearbox have proven to be reliable and viable options. It is worth noting that the equipment of the Mercedes, even in the basic version, often outperforms the luxury options of other manufacturers.
However, one should not think that the Mercedes Sprinter VAN is a passenger minibus and nothing more. For 18 years, the developers produced many cars that did not even have an all-metal wagon, but, nevertheless, they were also assigned to this class.
- Thanks to the 109 hp engine and a side door, the width of which is 1.2 m, the Sprinter has found application as a pure cargo van. A second large door, with hinged double doors behind, allows you to carry a variety of items.
If you agree to grant a cargo area, then an additional partition is installed in the cabin, and you have a Mercedes Classic Sprinter for passengers and cargo, where some people can sit in front (next to the driver’s sofa for 2 seats) and part of the cabin.
Besides, it fits long-wheelbase setups, has an infotainment system shared with premium cars and frugal engine options and combinations.
Features of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Passenger Van (is it worth it?)
The Mercedes Sprinter Passenger Van is offered in 2 trim levels: the Sprinter 1500, which can carry a 2,917-pound payload, and the Sprinter 2500, which can carry a 3,417-pound payload. Both are available with the standard roof and high roof for 12 passengers and high roof for 15 passengers.
There are three engine options: inline 4-cylinder gasoline and a V6 diesel engine, both paired with rear-wheel-drive configurations. Then there’s the third setup where the same V6 diesel gets an all-wheel-drive setup. Pricing starts at $ 41,095 for the Sprinter Passenger Van with the 1500 insignia and the 4-cylinder in-line engine. It goes up to $ 57,970 for the top Sprinter 2500.
Sprinter 1500 Trim Sprinter 2500
- MSRP (RWD) $ 41,095 $ 42,320
- Manufacturer’s Recommended Price (4WD) – $ 55,195
- Key Features Standard and High Roof Options Standard and High Roof Options
- Mercedes Pro Connect MBUX Multimedia
- Maximum traction Off-road capabilities
- The 7.0-inch infotainment 10.2-inch infotainment
- LED headlights Advanced safety features
- 360-degree camera Full-length window design
The Sprinter 1500 version is offered at a starting price of $ 41,095. In its standard 12-seater and high roof configurations, it only has the inline 4 gasoline engine.
The Sprinter 2500 version is offered at a starting price of 42,320. Most of the drool-worthy features and driver aids are limited to this badge. You also get the optional V6 and V6 with 4WD setup to choose from. The Insignia 2500 also has a long list of packages, such as Driver Convenience Package, Premium Package and Premium Plus Package, Rear Comfort Package, etc.
So if getting a very luxurious passenger van is your priority, look no further. the Mercedes Benz Sprinter passenger van. Also, this is a bit more expensive, so expect adequate European standards of luxurious accessories inside the cabin.
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van: Maintenance
Mercedes is a premium brand. We can expect amazing quality and comfort from the Sprinter. It has been around for 25 years and is considered one of the best options for a minivan. Mercedes vehicles are reliable and trustworthy in general and the Sprinter Passenger van offers the best levels of comfort in the range. In terms of performance, the vehicle can handle long journeys without any problems.
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van: Reliability and ownership costs
Mercedes Sprinter doesn’t just look amazing, it’s practical too. The price is still a bit competitive. The standard engine offers great performance and can have the 4 wheel drive system as an option. With its years of service, the Sprinter van is on the list of the ten most reliable vans in the US considering its experience and build quality. The Sprinter is a rugged, easy-to-maintain van, and the cost of service is exceptional, too.
On average, the 2020 Mercedes Sprinter Passenger van costs around $ 42,000. Prices vary in different states due to taxes, insurance, and selling costs.
The Sprinter is an incredible travel companion. With its incredible performance and enormous capacity, the van is suitable for long trips and routes. The vehicle may have had certain recalls under its name according to NHTSA, but fortunately nothing major. Service and maintenance are the best in the segment, it is still a Mercedes after all.
To own a new Mercedes Benz Sprinter Passenger van, on average, you have to pay at least $ 43,000 over 5 years. The price is higher than most rivals, yet it is competitive considering the value and brand equity.
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van: Warranty
Mercedes offers an astonishing 3-year / 36,000-mile warranty. With its world-class construction and performance, Mercedes is capable of competing with any rival in its path. Mercedes protects your Sprinter’s powertrain with a 5-year / 100,000-mile warranty. Additionally, the Sprinter comes with a 5-year / 100,000-mile exterior body warranty.
Mercedes offers a good enough warranty with the Sprinter. The warranty can also be extended at a nominal cost. But rivals also offer similar warranty coverage.
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van: mileage
With its standard 4-cylinder engine running on premium fuel, the Mercedes Sprinter delivers 22 combined miles per gallon. Current fuel prices are about $ 2.8 per gallon. If we calculate the MPD of the Sprinter, it turns out to be 7.8 miles per dollar. This score is incredible for a minivan where rivals get a much lower MPD.
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van Buying Tips
All versions of the Sprinter offer amazing features and capabilities. There are 2 engine options. The Trims model comes with two roof options: standard roof and high roof, you can have what suits you best. In addition, the Sprinter 2500 offers a 15-seat configuration with its long wheelbase. 2500 has a 4-wheel drive system for better off-road capabilities.
There is no data available for the Sprinter in the JD Power report. Still, the vehicle can perform really well on long roads without minimal maintenance and low cost.
Is it a good idea to buy a used Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van?
Since owning a new Sprinter is not to everyone’s liking, you can get a used Sprinter for a really cheap price. It is an amazing companion for your travels and long trips. You can modify the vehicle according to your needs to start your journey. Being a Mercedes, the Sprinter could lose between 15 and 20% of its value in the first years.
With its incredible build quality and performance, it has greater ease of use. The 2018 and 2019 models are available on the market at a good price.
How to take care of your Sprinter Van
Even if you are not a mechanic, there are a few things you can do on your own as a driver or van owner to maintain the engine.
- Periodic check of the oil level, engine and transmission in case of leaks, water level.
- Regular service: Change the oil filter at about 15,000 km, replace the fuel filter, the air filter and the pollen filter. Reset onboard service.
- Driving style – even if you maintain the van in an extraordinary way and make the necessary periodic checks, the way you drive can definitely influence the appearance of problems with the engine operation. I would like to list some unhealthy driving styles:
- Driving without waiting a few minutes for the engine to warm up
- Shifting gears at low or excessive speed
- Acceleration oscillation – you accelerate in a varied and discontinuous way
- Excessive load – exceeding the recommended capacity – frequently loads the van above the manufacturer’s recommended limit.
- Accidents – even if some drivers, mechanics, mechanical engineers, specialists believe that minor accidents do not affect the proper functioning of the engine, however, in the medium or long term, they can cause engine problems.
The involvement of the van in a major accident in which the engine is hit or shows some cracks or deformations is a completely different story. In such situations, it is recommended to check that engine very thoroughly.
The bottom line
Despite the fact that the first van left the factory more than 20 years ago, the Mercedes Sprinter Van is still very popular nowadays. Taxi, indoor van, car for a large family – you can use it for a long time. And this version of the van deserves long years of release and life (with appropriate modifications, of course); after all, it is a Mercedes Classic Sprinter.
What do you think of the Sprinter Van? Is it worth it in your opinion? Please let us know if you have any tips, comments or questions.
Other FAQs about Camper Vans that you may be interested in.
FAQ on Why are Sprinter vans so expensive?
Is a Sprinter van worth it?
Yes, the Sprinter van is totally worth it, and here we explain why! The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van has one of the best designs and is loaded with features that make it worthwhile. Nonetheless, it is true that it is a more expensive option than some of the other full-size work vans that hit the market for the same model year.
What are the most reliable vans?
The most reliable vans are the Mercedes Sprinter, the Ford Transit, Volkswagen Transporter, Citroën Berlingo and the Renault Trafic.
How much does it cost to homologate a van?
The costs for homologating a van will be between $500 and $800, depending on the company and the engineer who approves it and if you need an electrical or gas certificate.
What is the best camper van?
The best camper van is the Volkswagen Transporter. The Transporter is a true ‘icon’ of the camper. The Volkswagen Transporter is probably the most popular. But, being among the best vans for the camper, and having this enormous popularity, it is one of the most difficult to find at a good price in the second-hand market.
- How Much Does a Sprinter Van Conversion Cost? (Price Breakdown)
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Prices, Reviews, and Pictures
- Mercedes Sprinter van review | Auto Express