In this article, we will answer the following question: Why are mobile homes so cheap? We will review the cost of the purchase of a mobile home, but also other additional expenses that come with a mobile home.
Why are mobile homes so cheap?
Mobile homes are cheaper than other types of RVs mainly because they cost less to be manufactured. The price of a mobile home depends on the model chosen, in particular on the options chosen (dishwasher, television, pull-out bed, etc.). The more affordable new mobile homes models cost around $22,000.
Mobile homes exist in several models, ranging from the simplest to the most sophisticated, and are offered at various prices. For the purchase of an entry-level model to a mid-range, you should expect between $22,000 and $40,000 on average.
The cost of a high-end model is between $40,000 and $55,000. For small budgets, it is possible to choose a second-hand mobile home. Its price is between $6,000 and $10,000.
The price of a mobile home is then between $6,000 and $55,000.
Summary table of the price of a mobile home
|Type of mobile home||Price|
|New entry and mid-range mobile home||Between 22,000 and 40,000 $|
|New high-end mobile home||Between 40,000 and 55,000 $|
|Used mobile home||Between 6,000 and 10,000 $|
The cost of the equipment that you need for a mobile home
Following this purchase, you can also accompany your mobile home with various equipment, starting with a terrace (which we strongly recommend). Indeed, a terrace is a real added value for a mobile home.
This costs on average between $2,000 and $4,000 for surfaces ranging from 10 to 20 m² ( 107 to 215 sq ft.). Indispensable in everyday life, it allows continuity between the central room and the outside. The mobile home will then gain in surface area significantly, particularly on sunny days when meals are taken outside.
Other equipment can also come to furnish the plot such as a garden shed, a barbecue, garden furniture, etc.
Additional costs when buying a mobile home
Truth to be told, when you consider all the additional equipment and costs when buying a mobile home, it may not seem so cheap anymore. Let’s see what these expenses are.
- Transporting your mobile home: In addition to the purchase of the mobile home itself, transporting it from the factory to the destination campsite also has a cost.
The mobile home must imperatively be transported by exceptional convoy and its amount, therefore, varies according to the distance between the point of departure and arrival. It takes around 4 to 5 $ per mile to which must be added to the loading and unloading package.
- Installation on the plot and its rental: Once your mobile home has been delivered, installation, setting and connection to the chosen site location are essential. This cost differs depending on the accessibility and the configuration of the land but is generally observed at around $500 to $,000 including tax.
In addition, a mobile home must imperatively be installed on a plot within a campsite. It generally has a cost of around $2,000 to $5,000 including tax per year. This price obviously depends on its size, its location but also the level of equipment of the campsite.
- Insurance: One last expense is added to your project, that of insurance. A subscription with an insurer is mandatory, a “caravan” or “individual home” type contract must be established to cover daily risks such as fires, bad weather, etc.
Some companies offer “special” rates to facilitate all of the administrative and technical procedures mentioned above and to avoid any unpleasant surprises. You will need a budget of $25,000 to $60,000 to make your mobile home project feasible. Several financing solutions are possible, you just need to discuss it with the Rideau mobile home dealer of your choice.
How much a mobile home really costs
Besides the purchase price of the mobile home per se, as you’ve seen there are other expenses you must consider. For the additional costs relating to the installation of the mobile home and its transport, it is necessary to foresee between 7,000 and 10,000$. In all, the price of a turnkey mobile home can reach $ 29,000 to $ 65,000.
Table summarizing the costs for the installation of a mobile home
|Criteria||Average budget to plan|
|Mobile home transportation||Between 5 and 7 $ per mile|
|Renting a plot of land||From 2000 $ per year|
|Rental of a residential leisure park||From 1000 $ per year|
|Purchase of a plot of land||From 250 $ per sq ft|
|Camping entrance fee||From 1000 $|
|Installation of the mobile home||From 800 to 1500 $|
|Air conditioner||From 200 to 2000 $|
|Heating||From 150 to 2000 $|
|Adding a terrace||From 700 $|
|Installation of an awning||From 250 to 1500 $|
|More storage space||From 400 to 900 $|
|Additional costs||Up to 5000 $|
What does the price of a mobile home depend on?
Manufacturers offer a wide range of models with various dimensions, characteristics and options. In general, the cost of a mobile home varies depending on:
- The type of mobile home: equipped or not, traditional or more modern design, shape, etc .;
- The quality of the mobile home: quality of the structure, finishes, insulation and the elements that make up the home;
- The number of rooms: this house can have 2 to 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, toilets, etc .;
- Capacity: it can generally accommodate 2 to 8 people depending on its size;
- Dimensions: the larger the mobile home, the higher its price. A large mobile home can have a surface area of up to 540 sq ft;
- Integrated options: mobile home with many options obviously costs more than a simple mobile home. This accommodation can integrate a bed, an equipped kitchen, crockery, etc .;
- The range chosen: entry-level, mid-range or high-end;
- The brand: Fleetwood Homes, Clayton Homes, Deer Valley, etc.
To get a more precise idea of the price of a mobile home, you should ask for a quote!
Mobile homes have become more and more popular, becoming a tangible option when deciding the type of home to be purchased, since the advantages they offer are various, such as a reduction in costs and construction time.
But there are some things that we must consider prior to acquiring a home of this type. Like any important decision to make, you have to consider all the angles and possibilities, to obtain an optimal result.
Interested in investing in a mobile home? Here are some figures:
- Take a second-hand mobile home (5 years old) with 3 bedrooms, which you equip in “high-end” standing, installed in a 4-star campsite.
- You rent your plot for around $4,000 per year.
- This mobile home was bought for $25,000. You recover 20% VAT on this purchase, i.e. $5,000, so your mobile home costs $20,000.
- By starting from $2,500 in profits per year, you have reimbursed your mobile home in 8 years ($2,500 * 8 = $20,000).
To compensate for the inevitable hazards, and the few refreshments necessary, a few thousand dollars are subtracted, which gives between $10,000 and $15,000 in potential profits over the duration of the operation.
Please feel free to let us know what you think about investing in a mobile home, or if you have any questions about the content.
FAQ on Why are mobile homes so cheap?
Is it profitable to buy a mobile home?
If there is one virtue that shines in the eyes of those interested in mobile homes, it is profitability. A second-hand “mobile home” can be found from 12,000 $; if one relies on new, the check may oscillate between 30,000 and 50,000 $. Result: in 7 years, the property can be profitable.
What is the cost of a mobile home?
The cost of a high-end model is between 40,000 and 55,000 $. For small budgets, it is possible to choose a second-hand mobile home.
Where to live in a mobile home all year round?
For living in a mobile home all year round: certain campsites, residential leisure parks and certain holiday villages. If you want to set up your home to live in a mobile home all year round on land, this varies a bit.
What is considered a mobile home?
The legal term to designate the mobile home is “mobile leisure residence”, the leisure term emphasizing that it is designed for temporary and seasonal use but cannot legally serve as a main and permanent home.
Can I live in a mobile home on purchased land?
The law is strict and without appeal: living in a mobile home on private land is prohibited. The legislator in fact distinguishes 3 categories of “unusual” habitats: light leisure dwellings, mobile leisure residences and caravans.
How do you know the age of a mobile home?
To find the age of a mobile home make sure it has an identification plate on its chassis. It indicates the serial number, the year of manufacture of the model and determines its age.
Other FAQs about Motorhomes that you may be interested in.
- Why are mobile homes so cheap? Are they a good alternative to …
- 7 Reasons Why Mobile Homes Are so Cheap – Freedom Residence
- How Much Does a New Mobile Home Cost? | Moving.com