What states have no sales tax on RVs?
In this blog post, we will answer the following question: What states have no sales tax on RVs? We will also give you a few essential tips for acquiring an RV in the US.
What states have no sales tax on RVs?
The following five states have no sales tax* on RVs:
- New Hampshire
And the states with the lowest sales tax for an RV are:
*If you register your RV in a different state, you would still have to pay sales tax!
What is the sales tax on RVs in different states in the US?
Within the states that do have sales tax on RVs, the rules are different. Some allow local increases, and state sales tax and county and/or municipality tax must be added to the price on the label.
RV Sales Tax Rates in the USA
|State||Purchase Tax Rate|
|2% + county rate+ city rate = total|
|Alaska||0% + municipality|
|Arizona||5.6% + county + city|
|Arkansas||6.5% + county + city = rate on 1st $2,500— plus —6.5% on balance = total0% on vehicles priced at $4,000 or less|
|California||7.25% + local|
|Colorado||2.9% + county + city + district = total|
|Connecticut||6.35% for vehicle $50k or less7.75% for vehicle over $50,000|
|Delaware||4.25% “Motor Vehicle Document Fee”|
|District of Columbia||“Excise Tax” varies by weight & mpg0% for electric vehicles|
|Ohio||5.75% + local|
|Oklahoma||3.25% excise tax plus 1.25% sales tax = 4.5% total for new vehicles$20 on first $1,500 + 3.25% excise tax on balance + 1.25% sales tax on full price = total for used cars|
|Oregon||Used Vehicles: 0%New Vehicles: 0.5% (One-half of 1 per cent)|
|Pennsylvania||6%7% for Allegheny County8% for the City of Philadelphia|
|South Carolina||5% ($500 max)|
|South Dakota||4% “Motor Vehicle Excise”|
|Tennessee||7% + local rate on first $1600 + 2.75% single article tax on second $1600 (to $3200) = total|
|Utah||4.85% + local|
|Virginia||4.15% ($75 minimum)|
|Washington||6.5% + local + 0.3% “motor vehicle sales / lease tax” = total|
|Wisconsin||5% + county|
|Wyoming||4% + county|
Tips to buy an RV in the United States
To guide you through the process, here are tips for buying an RV in the United States:
- Used RVs are generally cheaper than dealer motorhomes and maybe a good place to start.
- Look for deals on websites dedicated to the sale of RVs in the United States. You can use the different selection filters and thus search specifically in the State where you are going to reside, the make, the model, mileage travelled, etc.
- Remember that prices may vary depending on the city where the RV will be purchased, the year of the vehicle and the miles travelled. You can generally get better prices by buying RVs in big cities than in small towns; so you might consider buying in a nearby state or city if the price is much lower.
- Look in addition to the internet, in used RVs dealerships. It is very likely that some used car publications on the web pages will lead you to visit a dealer, so you should take into account that many times the prices advertised online may be cheaper.
- Check if the RV has been involved in an accident and the severity of it. For this, ask for the “carfax”, which is a document where you can have all the necessary information about accidents, hail damage, number of owners that the car has had, how many miles each owner travelled, etc.
If by chance, the vehicle owner does not provide you with this information, you can search the “Carfax” website for approximately $35 and print the information.
- If it is within your financial means, try to buy an RV that is not more than five years old and has less than 50 thousand miles, so that you can have some of the manufacturer’s warranties still in effect. If you are going to buy from a dealer, ask for some additional warranty package, you could get good deals.
- Try to evaluate the mechanical condition of the RV; look for a mechanic referred by an acquaintance or relative located in the United States who can provide this service.
- Before driving with the newly purchased vehicle, make sure you have the minimum insurance required by the state regarding civil liability against third parties (persons) and against the property. In the United States, the law is severe, and if you were to have an accident without the minimum insurance required by law, you could be sued.
The best places to buy a used RV in the US
Below you will find a list of the best 20 places to buy a used RV. We advise you, first of all, to weigh the pros and cons of acquiring a used RV and if not, it would be better to rent one. Here’s our list:
- Camping World – also great for RV supplies, accessories and camping gear;
- RV Trader – it is widely recognized in the recreational vehicle industry as a popular means of finding the best deals on new and used RVs for sale;
- PPL Motor Homes – this Texas-based dealership offers diesel motorhomes, mini or Class A motorhomes, 5th wheel trailers and travel trailers;
- General RV Center – this is the largest RV centre in the country that offer you personalized RV orientation and full support with the buying process;
- MHSRV – Motor Home Specialists that have offered even for low budgets (check the under 25k category);
- Classy RV – Rated top eBay seller and with offers all over the country, this is one of our favourite places to recommend. Not to mention that their website is user-friendly and really easy to navigate;
- RVT.com – We recommend them mostly for their great deals;
- Pop RVs – Check this one if you are looking for funding, as they offer competitive rates and flexible options;
- Cranky Ape – It offers you the opportunity to place a bid and it has great reviews from most users;
- Indy RV Expo – This is Indiana’s largest RV Expo. The downside is that it is only once a year. The good news: You can buy a used or new RV at unbelievable prices;
- Conversion Trader – It has a large database of camper vans, Class B or C RVs, sprinters, buses, skoolies & more;
- RVUSA – This is the place to search for the ideal RV that will meet your family’s needs. Just fill in the form and check the results!
- America’s Largest RV Show – This year you can attend the 52nd Annual largest RV show at the Giant Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania. It is worth checking it out if you are seriously thinking of buying an RV.
- Chicago RV & Camping Show – Another annual show, taking place in Chicago this time.
- Florida RV SuperShow – The RV show is a great place for getting a good deal and seeing a variety of RVs in the same place.
- Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show – One of the biggest (and sponsored) RV Shows in the country. Overall a great place for variety.
- California RV Show – This is the annual manufacturers’ RV sale in Northern California. Don’t miss it if you are looking for great deals even on new RV’s.
- Visit a dealer near you – Try searching on google maps: RV dealership near me. If you befriend the deal in your area, that’s even better for a good deal.
- Facebook Groups – This is also a great place for tips and advice from experienced RV owners.
- eBay – try eBay auctions for better deals.
- Craigslist – The reason why Craigslist is last on our list is that although you can get great deals on this website, many of the ads prove to be scams. So be careful with this one, especially when someone wants to offer you a free RV!
The bottom line
In the US, there is no federal road tax, but you will have to pay sales tax and city tax when purchasing an RV. Make sure you know the rules of your state and that you comply with them.
If you have any comments or questions on the content, please let us know.
FAQ on What states have no sales tax on RVs?
What do you have to take into account when buying a motorhome?
When buying a motorhome, you have to take into account so many things that it is best to involve each member of the family in the process. Give each person precise instructions. Do an eye check of the tires, electrical system, the condition of the furniture, etc.
How much does an RV cost?
RV costs depend on whether they are pre-owned, new, large, luxurious, simple, etc. However, an estimate (from a used one to a new luxury one) is between $ 15,000 USD to $ 100,000 USD.
Do you have to tax a caravan?
No, you do not have to tax a caravan. Caravans, being trailers, and not having an engine, are included among low-emission vehicles and are exempt from road tax.
- What is the Cheapest State to Buy an RV? – Getaway Couple
- You can’t outrun sales tax – Wacky Tax Wednesday – Avalara
- Car Tax by State | USA | Manual Car Sales Tax Calculator