What motorhome brands to avoid in the UK?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “What motorhome brands to avoid in the UK?” We will talk about the various motorhome brands to avoid along with a few reasons. We will also discuss a few tips to choose a good motorhome. At the end of this post, you will get to know more about some motorhome brands and their disadvantages.
What motorhome brands to avoid in the UK?
The motorhome brands to avoid in the UK are.
- Thor Hurricane
- Forest River
- Jayco travel trailers
- Chinook RVs or motorhomes are one of those brands that should be avoided due to various reasons. Chinook motorhomes are known for their lightweight but they do have a good reputation and not many people know about these motorhomes.
- One of the main reasons to avoid Chinook is due to their poor quality. Chinook motorhomes have had poor quality since the company turned to cut costs. This was a huge drawback since they started using substandard materials.
- Chinook motorhomes received bad reviews due to their low-quality products. There have been leaks in the shower, sink, venting systems, etc. Some of the parts and appliances are not up to the mark as they have poorly exposed wiring and they receive damage soon.
- Hence, Chinook turned out to be a disaster after the company compromised on quality. Chinook is rated as one of the worst motorhome brands. The good news is that not many Chinooks have been found in the UK.
- Skyline motorhomes turned out to be another disaster as they were rated one of the worst brands on the market. Initially, Skyline had a great reputation when it started, but it failed to maintain its reputation over the years.
- Due to the low production rate, customers experienced issues with parts and labor costs. Skyline’s quality had also dipped drastically and their motorhomes are not as good as they used to be.
- Although many motorhomes are manufactured by Thor, this particular model turned out to be a huge disaster. The Thor Hurricane is one of those hated RVs that has ever been manufactured.
- Thor Hurricane was reported to have several issues from leaks to multiple safety recalls. For some reason, the Thor Hurricane did not be a success like the other models.
- Customers have reported issues with the seats, battery, and exhaust. There were also complaints about the parking brake and there are been various issues of the vehicle heating up when moving.
- The Thor Hurricane does have a couple of good features, but the overall quality and further issues make it one of the worst motorhomes to purchase.
- Fleetwood had a decent reputation or at least they are known to many. The biggest issue with Fleetwood motorhomes is that they are prone to breaking down. While this might not be in all situations, they are still not one of those “go-to” motorhomes.
- Fleetwood owners have reported several water leaks, especially in the kitchen area. There have also been issues like rust on the chassis and various other problems.
- Fleetwood was once a reliable and luxurious motorhome but not all models turned out to be the same. It is safe to stay away from Fleetwood at least for a while until they get back on track.
- Forest River motorhomes are no doubt one of those big brands, especially for its catchy name. Yet, many people are not big fans of Forest River.
- To begin with, Forest River compromised the quality of its motorhomes by using substandard materials. There are been leaks and rust issues even after repeated warranty claims. There have also been issues of mold and rotting wood.
- No doubt these motorhomes are luxurious and they are one of those well-noted motorhomes in the market. The older Forest River models have been said to be better than the latest ones and many people have been skeptical about purchasing Forest River motorhomes.
- Gulfstream was once noted for its high manufacturing standards. However, their design and quality had compromised over time. Due to the company’s poor manufacturing standards, it lost its reputation.
- There have been several complaints with Gulfstream motorhomes off late. Some of their major issues were with their heating equipment. There have been complaints about the heating system failing to produce adequate heat.
- Gulfstream was once known for its luxury and top-class materials but they were unable to keep up with its materials.
- Coachmen motorhomes are a subsidiary brand of Forest River motorhomes and they have been in this business for decades together.
- Coachmen are one of those top motorhome brands that come to your mind. However, the craftsmanship and quality of their newer models have been compromised.
- Some of the new Coachmen motorhome models arrive with a poor and flimsy slide. It turns out that the drawers and interiors are not too strong to hold heavy gear.
- Coachmen RV roofs have also been reported to leak over the years and the body panels are not too strong. There are also been multiple complaints about the shower and sinks leaking.
Jayco travel trailers
- Jayco travel trailers have always been connected with quality issues. Although there are a huge number of Jayco motorhome owners, not everyone has a good word to say.
- Jayco travel trailers are rated as one of the worst when it comes to dependability. Maintaining these travel trailers is a major issue and there have been several situations of customers being stranded.
- Some of the major issues are recurring leaks in pipes and bad ventilation systems. The exteriors have been said to be good but the interiors are not too great and many crucial parts have said to deteriorate rapidly.
- The durability and dependability of these travel trailers are not too great and the overall build quality is not strong enough to last long.
- Keystone motorhomes are also said to be one of those brands to avoid. Keystone has manufactured and produced some of the best motorhomes over the years but they are drastically compromised in their quality over the past few years.
- There have been issues with the interior cabinetry, pressboard, joints, and screw attachments due to travel vibrations.
- Some owners have also complained about the doors falling due to terrible electronic components. The control panel configuration has also been a major concern and they have been inaccurate readings of the propane tank.
- Hence, it is advised to purchase a road-tested vintage model of Keystone than opting for the latest ones.
Tips to choose a good motorhome
Purchasing a motorhome is no easy task and with several brands out in the market, you are bound to get confused. Here are a few tips that will help you to choose a good motorhome.
Do enough research
- The first and most important part is to do enough research. Take plenty of time and do enough research and find out if a particular brand is worth it. Be sure that the motorhome your purchase is built to last long.
Check for reviews
- This is the best way to figure out if the motorhome is good or not. Check for reviews from people who have used the motorhome for years together.
Check on forums
- It is also important to check online forums. Every motorhome has a forum of its own and this will give you a proper insight. You can also get in touch with real owners and ask them if they have faced any issues with their motorhomes.
Stick to your requirement
- Be sure to stick to your requirements when it comes to choosing a motorhome. Consider your budget, your travel frequency, the number of members in your family, and the features that you will require the most.
- Once you have an idea of what you want, narrow down your search and do enough research to get the best motorhome that you need.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “What motorhome brands to avoid in the UK?” We have talked about the various motorhome brands to avoid along with a few reasons. We have also discussed a few tips to choose a good motorhome. Drop us a comment and let us know what to look for when purchasing a motorhome.