What is the best truck cap brand? (our top 9)
In today’s blog post, we will answer the following question: What is the best truck cap brand? We will review nine of the best truck cap brands currently on the market. We will present their hallmarks, most popular models and their price (where available).
What is the best truck cap brand?
The best truck cap brands in 2021 are from A.R.E, Snugtop, Leer, Jason, ATC, Ranch, Raider, Unicover and Century. In the table below we present each truck cap brand and discuss its main advantages.
|Truck Cap Brand||Hallmarks||Models & Price|
|A.R.E||Fit and stylingLimited lifetime warranty on certain modelsSpray-on protective coatingSide toolbox optionWalk-in door option on the MX seriesAerodynamic stylingBack-up camera option offers fibreglass caps.||CX Classic – $2,399Z – $3,350Z2 – $3,350Overland – $2,599V – $1,999MX – $2,599TW – $2,699Walk-In-Door – $1,950ToolMaster – $3,799 HD series – $2,750Classic Aluminium – $1,250CX Revo – $2,950CX Evolve – $2,750|
|Leer||Options: Cab-high; Mid/High-rise; Commercial.Tinted side windows insulated roof Fibreglass base railsLimited lifetime warrantyGas door propsLEER® Twist Handle Lock with Flip-up Weather Cove J-Bolt Installation Clamps||100R100XR100XL100QX100XQ SPORT180180XL122100RCC180CCDCCDCC-MT3|
Note: The price for Leer truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the Leer website.
|Snugtop||SNUGRUG Interior Shell HeadlinerFibreglass Cloth Overlay in High-Stress AreasBuilt-In LED Brake LightKey Operated Lock With Remote ControlLifetime Warranty on Paint and StructureHidden Mounting System – (“J” Hooks) Heavy Duty Hinges and Hardware||Sport Hi-LinerSuperSportExpoCab-HiXtra VisionRebelHi-LinerGB Sport|
Note: The price for Snugtop truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the Snugtop website.
|ATC/Astro||Sliding side windows Double lock rear doorOptional roof rack systemsStrong honeycomb structureThird brake lightRubber bottom sealExterior hinged door on the LER seriesRemote keyless entry (optional)||ExpressLEDLTDLERLEXLHRLHR XD|
Note: The price for ATC truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the ATC website.
|Ranch||Fibreglass truck capsTinted GlassCustom Fit Rear Door SkirtTrim Finish OptionsFront Window OptionsRemote Keyless Entry (optional)Tip Out Side Windows (only on certain models)||EchoSierraSierra XtraFusionIconSkylineXD|
Note: The price for Ranch truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the Ranch website.
|Jason||Yakima® and Rhino Rack® Roof rack systemsOversized Side WindowsCustom Fit Rear Door SkirtLimited lifetime warrantyCarpeted Headliner12V or battery dome light interior lightingPainted trim or trimless edge options||ElementPacePace PlusZoneCyberTrekTrek HD|
Note: The price for Jason truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the Jason website.
|Raider||Fibreglass toppersCustom-fit capsRotary Latch System (Rear Door)Limited Lifetime Paint & Structure WarrantySkirted Sides (Most models)J-Clamp InstallationInstallation Bulb Seal||PhantomVagabond Vagabond EliteVagabond Commercial SierraJourneyman PackageCobra Cobra CommercialCobra Elite|
Note: The price for Raider truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the Raider website.
|Unicover||Aluminium and fibreglass truck capsLimited Lifetime Structural WarrantyLimited Lifetime Paint Warranty50-50 Sliding WindowsDark Privacy GlassRecessed LED Brake LightSlam Latch Rear Door||Safari ISafari IISafari VLSLegendPro SportLT|
Note: The price for Unicover truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the Unicover website.
|Century||Options: Cab-high; Mid/High-rise; Lifetime Limited WarrantyIntegrated Fuse Box; J-Bolt Installation ClampsGas Door Props;Tinted Side WindowsCustom-fit truck caps||RoyalUltraUltra SportHigh-CHigh-C SportT-ClassUltra CFHIGH-C CFDCUDCU-MT3|
Note: The price for Century truck caps will differ depending on the size of your pick-up truck. Please request a quote on the Century website.
6 tips for buying the best truck cap
Buying the right truck cap for your pick-up is not difficult, however, depending on whether you have a short bed truck or long bed truck you may or may not want a certain type of truck cap.
Here are our top six tips for buying the best truck cap for your pick-up:
- Define its purpose. If you use the pick-up for moving things around, a truck cap with windows can be an idea. This makes it easier to monitor the items. On the other hand, if you transport heavier and thicker materials, a truck cap without windows is a better alternative, it offers greater safety and resistance by not having glass that can break.
- Check the make and model of the pick-up truck. Today, there are truck caps that adapt to different vehicles, however, it is important that when looking at the options you consider the make and model, and test the options until you find the one that fits perfectly. The level of security offered by the truck cap will also depend to a large extent on its proper fit.
- Consider buying a waterproof truck cap. A waterproof truck cap protects the truck bed and its contents from dust or water. If you use the truck in extreme climates, it is necessary that the truck cap has this add-on. The quality must be verified since we require that it be flexible, resistant to wear and temperature changes and that it be completely waterproof.
- The truck cap must be sturdy and secure. It is important to verify the material with which they are made so that they can offer adequate security and protection to your cargo. It must not be easily opened or removed, and it must withstand geological and climatic changes.
- Made from light materials. This will depend on the size and functions of the truck, however, it is best that it be made with lightweight materials so that it does not bounce off unstable surfaces or impede the correct handling of the driver.
- The truck cap height is important. The higher the truck cap is, the more space you will have in your cabin, so it is necessary to consider how wide you want it to be, depending on the activities to be carried out, to determine the height.
Choosing the right truck cap is not a difficult task, but necessary if we want it to give us the protection we are looking for for our cargo. That is why it is important to consider aspects such as materials, vehicle brand, height and more so that it meets the expected quality standards.
Please let us know if you have additional questions or any comments regarding the use of a truck cap.
FAQ on What is the best truck cap brand?
Do truck caps improve gas mileage?
No, truck caps do not improve gas mileage. In fact, for what it’s worth, truck caps lower your mph due to the extra weight. Another fact that we must address here is that truck caps do not improve your truck’s aerodynamics.
Are truck caps useful?
Yes, truck caps can be useful. They offer extra space to store your equipment and also protect the truck bed when driving. There are different types and sizes of truck caps, so make sure you choose the one that fits your needs best.
How much do Leer camper shells cost?
Leer camper shells can cost between $1200 and $1800, including the costs of installation. Leer camper sheets are made from aluminium and are very popular caps for pickups.
On average, a short bed truck cap weighs 170 lbs, while a long bed truck cap weighs 200 lbs. As for other measures, truck caps have height and length variations depending on the type of pick up where they will be installed.
What is a tonneau cover?
A tonneau cover is a soft or hardcover placed over the bed of a truck to improve aerodynamics and protect cargo. It comes in different styles: some can be retracted or raised, while some can be folded back. There are also different materials used to make tonneau covers, such as vinyl, leather, canvas and polyester for soft covers, and fibreglass and aluminum for hardcovers.
- Top 7 Best Truck Toppers (Camper Shell, Bed Cap, etc)
- Best Truck Caps: Make the Most of Your Truck – The Drive
- What Type of Truck Cap is Best For Me?