In this blog post, we will answer the following question: What is good mileage for a used box truck? We will discuss what are the criteria for buying a used box truck and what are the key points you should check. We will also discuss the pros and cons of buying a new or old box truck.
What is good mileage for a used box truck?
A good mileage for a used box truck would be under 100,000 miles for gas engines, and under 200,000 miles for diesel engines. There is no need to retire the box truck after you hit this mark, but you will, however, need to pay more attention to its maintenance and you’ll definitely take it to service more often.
Is buying a used box truck with high mileage a good idea?
Investing in the purchase of a used box truck can be a very profitable option in the long run. To this end, it is essential to take into account certain details to be free from unpleasant surprises.
- Set a budget according to your needs. The first thing to consider before buying a used box truck is the model of the truck. So, you need to look for a truck that will match your needs. If you want, for example, a truck capable of making long distances, or one that could transport several goods, you will have to search among the models that exist, the one that suits you.
It will also be necessary to define a budget that you do not wish to exceed. You can then search for offers that match your needs.
- Carry out all the necessary checks on the vehicle. If after your search for offers you manage to find a used truck that meets your needs and respects your budget, you still need to do a few checks. These checks will let you know if this used truck is worth buying.
So ask the owner a few questions to find out what the box truck has been used for in the past. This information will show you if the truck will still be in better condition when you buy it.
- Next, examine the box truck from start to finish. Take the trouble to check the condition of the interior and exterior bodywork and the condition of the door hinges. Also, make sure that the tires are in good condition and that there is no rust on the frames and suspensions.
- Insist on a test drive to judge whether the vehicle is indeed in good condition. Inspect everything related to the clutch, braking and steering without neglecting the sound of the engine.
- Before you buy your used truck, the seller will finally have to provide you with certain documents, including the vehicle registration document, the sales certificate, the certificate of non-pledge, the maintenance booklet and the technical control report.
- Engine power and equipment. Here, the choice of utility vehicle depends on your trade. If you have to transport heavy loads over many miles of the countryside, then it is better to favour a strong and powerful engine.
On the other hand, a standard motor is sufficient if you move mainly to the city. In addition, the equipment that ensures your safety, such as ABS, AFU or airbags, are essential.
If you often make long journeys, also opt for options that improve vehicle comfort: electric windows, air conditioning, etc. In addition, also take into account the number of passenger seats you need.
If you travel frequently with your team and/or workers, you should take this into account. Your vehicle must guarantee their safety as well as that of your load, in particular with a cabin separation.
- Type of fuel. It is also important to take into account the type of fuel consumed by the commercial vehicle. Since 2017, building professionals cannot recover VAT on fuel costs, except for diesel.
- Amenities. The last point to consider when choosing your box truck is the exterior fittings and equipment. Do you often go on unpaved roads? Think about off-road tires. Do you often work at night? Your van must offer a suitable lighting system, which guarantees your safety. The vehicle must also be ergonomic for the construction industry: ramps, sliding doors, etc.
In the case of transporting dangerous products (combustible or corrosive products), your vehicle must comply with regulations and be approved, especially with regard to ventilation and air circulation. If you are transporting valuable goods (for example, power tools), your vehicle should also be very secure.
- The cost of a new or used box truck. On average, the price of a new commercial vehicle ranges from $ 12,000 to $ 25,000.
The main price difference factors are the size and engine size of the utility truck. Some equipment such as power windows and radio usually already pair the vehicle, but the base price does not take into account additional fittings.
If you want to buy a used utility, you can contact individuals or participate in an auction. As we said before, a craftsman who bought his vehicle new will have to resell it before getting a new one. This is the opportunity for you to get your work tool at a reduced price.
What is the service life of your truck’s engine?
This is not an exact rule and not all cars last the same. The useful life of an engine will depend on the mileage travelled, the type of engine, the driving style, but above all, the maintenance that has been carried out by the owner.
In general, the manufacturer of your vehicle usually indicates an approximate number of miles in which the quality standards offered by the brand would be established. In general, this threshold is usually placed between 250,000 and 300,000 miles. As we have pointed out, this is a variable figure since it depends on the driving mode and the maintenance of your car’s engine.
On the other hand, other factors to take into account will be the weather conditions to which the car is exposed since a car in a garage is not as protected as it is in the middle of the street.
Truck diesel engines usually have a useful life of about 250,000 miles if the maintenance and driving conditions have been adequate. Despite this, if the vehicle has been treated badly, it is very likely that the engine will not exceed 155,000 miles.
Although the number recommended by the manufacturer has been exceeded, the truth is that diesel cars can have a useful life that can exceed one million miles if properly cared for.
Truck gasoline engines, due to the need for compression, cause them to wear out more quickly and, therefore, reduce their useful life. As a general rule, this type of engine can be kept in top condition for 155,000 miles without losing any of its performance. In the event that driving and maintenance are not adequate, its useful life can be reduced to 12,000 miles.
After exceeding these limits, it is possible to increase its useful life to a maximum of 300,000 miles if during the previous years special care has been taken with the car. Despite this, after exceeding this mileage the compression will be affected and there will be a much higher oil consumption.
How to increase engine life of your truck
As we have already outlined throughout the article, getting an engine to extend its useful life will depend on how you drive and that you carry out proper maintenance. Some practices that you do on a daily basis may be reducing your life expectancy considerably. Did you know that starting your car cold or starting it and stopping it abruptly can cut engine life in half?
Derived from the above, driving on the road makes your car’s engine suffer less than when it does on urban roads, so the number of miles will also vary taking this factor into account.
Therefore, a truck that is properly warmed up before setting off and that circulates more on the road than on the urban road will have a longer useful life than others.
When considering used truck mileage, don’t take it at face value. Review the history of the vehicle, whose it is, where it has been driven, how it has been driven and how well it has been maintained over the years.
Do you have any questions or comments on the content? Feel free to share them!
FAQ on What is good mileage for a used box truck?
What is considered high mileage for a truck?
Any number over 300,000 miles is considered high mileage for a truck. Still, depending on the model and manufacturer, your truck can last way longer than that.
Why buy a truck?
You should buy a truck because they have all the amenities for passengers to travel comfortably. In addition, the rear box allows a greater load capacity than any trunk. On the other hand, the trucks are equipped to provide superior driving experiences. Upholstery, air conditioning, connectivity and much more.
What is better to buy a car or a truck?
If it is better to buy a car or a truck will depend on your needs and lifestyle. A car being smaller is less heavy and having a body closer to the ground offers greater stability. On the other hand, a truck is larger, it is heavier and the height of the chassis to the ground is greater which translates into less stability.
What do you have to know to buy a used truck?
If you want to buy a used truck, here are five basic points to check:
– Check the service history of the truck in question.
– Check the mileage per year.
– Take the truck for a test drive.
– Thoroughly check the condition of the body and interior of the truck.
– Make sure that all the papers are in order.
What is the maximum mileage for a used car?
Beyond 60,000 miles, a gasoline vehicle begins to seriously lose its value. This level is around 90,000 for a diesel, considered more robust. A vehicle with high mileage is rather a gasoline car over 125,000 miles or a diesel over 155,000 miles.