What is an RV awning?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “What is an RV awning?” We will discuss the types of RV awnings along with their advantages and disadvantages. We will also talk about the five-best RV awnings that are available in the market along with their key features and specifications.
What is an RV awning?
An RV awning is a roof extension that can be attached to any motorhome. Awnings are used at home, stores, and motorhomes for extra protection. Awnings act as secondary coverage and are widely used in RVs, campervans, travel trailers, etc. An awning provides extra shelter and covers from rain or sun. It also provides more space outside while camping.
Types of RV awnings
There are various shapes and sizes of awnings and these are made up of different materials. Some awnings are made up of canvas woven while some have a combination of polyester, vinyl, and transparent material. Awnings can be purchased separately for RVs. Here are the types of RV awnings and their advantages.
- Acrylic awnings are pretty common and many RVs have prebuilt acrylic awnings. These awnings are a combination of acrylic and vinyl.
- The major advantage of these awnings is that they have proper air circulation and they can dry quickly even after continuous rain.
- These awnings are built to handle sun, ice, snow, rain, and dust. It protects you and your RV from such elements and is one of the most common types of RV awnings.
- The only disadvantage is that these can get stretched over time and they might not be a great fit for extremely harsh conditions.
Slide out awnings
- Slide-out awnings are pretty common, especially in RVs and travel trailers. These awnings can be rolled out only when required and they provide perfect shade and protection while camping outdoors.
- There are manual slide-out awnings and automatic slide-out awnings that work with the help of a motor. These awnings are easy to maintain and you don’t need to worry about installation since most RVs arrive with a slide-out awning.
- Patio awnings are known as sheltered awnings. These awnings can be turned into a room on the outside of your motorhome. They arrive with walls, windows, and doors.
- Patio awnings provide ultimate space and they can also be used to sleep while camping. It provides privacy and extra protection during rain and wind.
- The only disadvantage of patio awnings is poor ventilation. Hence, patio awnings need to have windows. It can also take a little extra time to set up.
- Vinyl awnings are another common type of awning that is found in RVs. These awnings are fade-resistant and they do not develop too many scratches.
- They are also perfect for rainy climatic conditions since they are waterproof. The UV rays do not penetrate the material as well. However, they can be prone to mold and mildew due to the fabric.
- Automatic awnings make the job easier with just a touch of a button. These awnings are easy to retract and there is nothing that you need to do. It makes life a whole lot easier on the road, but they are also pretty expensive.
- Maintenance can also be expensive with automatic awnings and you will need an expert to fix or repair them. Several RVs come with pre-built automatic awnings.
- Fixed RV awnings are not as common as they used to be since they are permanent solutions. The good news is that they provide constant protection from the sun and rain. Some RVs have fixed awnings on their windows and doors.
- Another disadvantage is that people have reported that fixed awnings get damaged easily and fall off while driving. It is also hard to change the position of these awnings since they are stationary.
Those were some of the most common types of RV awnings that are available. Awnings are an addition to motorhomes and it is sure to make life easier, especially if you love to camp outdoors. They provide enough shade to set up a table and have your meals. You can easily install an awning on your motorhome as per your requirements.
Five best RV awnings
While there are various types and sizes of RV awnings, these are some of the best ones that have a high rating.
Aleko 8-feet manual awning
The Aleko 8-feet manual awning is one of the best RV awnings that is available at a reasonable price. This awning can be attached to your camper with ease in less than 10 minutes. It has a crank for easy unwinding and it is a tough camper awning. This awning is sure to last for years together. Here are some of the key features listed below.
- Easy to unwind
- Available in various sizes
- Easy to store
- Can also be used for patios
- 100 percent PVC awning fabric
- Can also be used as a porch awning
ARB 4×4 retractable awning
This retractable awning arrives with a LED strip to keep your camp lit up during the night. It arrives in various sizes and it can be fitted to the roof rack of your vehicle. It can also be used on SUVs if required. It is easy to install and is built out of tough roofing material. The good news is that it can be expanded with a windbreaker.
- Polyvinyl Chloride fabric
- Stainless steel and aluminum construction
- Compatible with SUVs and more
- Complete LED light strip.
Tentproinc RV awning sunshade
The Tentproinc RV awning sun shade is one of the best awnings that is designed to block 86 percent of UV rays. This is perfect for camping on the beach or used during summer. The Tentpronic RV awning is also designed to keep cool on the inside. The fabric is also perfect to block wind and other elements.
- Decreases the interior temperature
- Blocks most of the UV rays
- Acts as a windbreaker
- Black mesh fabric
- Easy to install
Shade pro vinyl awning
- The shade pro vinyl awning arrives in multiple sizes from 10 to 21 feet. It also has attractive colors and patterns. Compatible with awnings parts like Lippert, Carter, Dometic, Carefree, and Faulkner.
- This awning does not require special tools for installation. It also arrives with a solid five-year limited warranty.
- This awning is made up of premium vinyl and it is strong against hard climatic conditions. Both the polyrods are sewn into the awning itself.
- This is no doubt one of the best awnings for RVs and motorhomes. It is versatile, easy to install, and also has a decent price range for all its unique features.
Sun wave awning
- Sun wave awnings are another reputed RV awning brand. Over the year, Sun wave has manufactured some of the best awnings for motorhomes.
- These RV awnings are versatile and they arrive with some of the best features. They are built from 15-ounce vinyl that is heat-welded with a 16-ounce vinyl weather guard.
- There are various sizes from eight to 22 feet and they also arrive with attractive patterns. It has a quarter-inch poly cord for the rail and a 3/16-inch poly cord for the roller tube.
Those were some of the best RV awnings that are available on the market. These awnings are built to last long and they arrive with a warranty. They are compatible and also built to fit your needs. These awnings can be used for most motorhomes and RVs. Some are even compatible with SUVs and smaller campers. However, they cannot be used for cars.
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “What is an RV awning?” We will discuss the types of RV awnings along with their advantages and disadvantages. We will also talk about the five-best RV awnings that are available in the market along with their key features and specifications. Drop us a comment below and let us know your favorite awning.