What is a Kei van camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “What is a Kei van camper?” We will discuss the Kei van camper’s features and specifications. We will also talk about the various Kei van camper models that are available in the market. We will touch upon the key features, layout plans, and advantages of these models.
What is a Kei van camper?
A Kei van camper is a micro camper or mini camper. A Kei van camper is a compact camper that is smaller than campervans and RVs. Kei van campers originated in Japan but are found in several places around the world. The work “Kei” refers to the Japanese category of small vehicles. These vehicles have their specifications in terms of regulations, engine capacity, and size.
Kei van campers are more popular in Japan since they originated there. These campers are used for camping and outdoor activities and are slowly increasing their popularity in other countries. Most people who love minimalistic camping prefer to own a Kei van camper since they are compact and perfect for a weekend getaway.
Kei van camper features and specifications
Despite the size, the Kei van campers arrive with some of the best features for camping. These are specific campers that are designed for minimal camping purposes. Hence, they have all the essentials for a comfortable camping trip. Here are some of the features and the specifications of the Kei van camper.
Pop-up roof tent
- One of the primary features of the Kei van camper is the primary roof tent. This camper has enough sleeping space to accommodate up to two people on top. The pop-up tent is compact, but it is also sturdy and waterproof.
- There is no need to worry about rain and windy climatic conditions. The pop-up tent is easy to install and it is also pretty lightweight.
- In some floorplans, the popup tent arrives with a heater to keep you warm during winter. You can also easily access the van through the tent or choose to have another entrance with a ladder outside.
Interior modular bed
- Once again, the Kei van camper took everyone by surprise with its excellent interior modular bed. There are modular bed mat pieces that can be placed on the floor of the camper and be converted into a bed. All you need to do is flip the driver’s seat around and lay down the pieces. This place can be used for an adult and a child.
- The modular bed is easy to install and it hardly takes around five minutes to arrange the sleeping space. This is one of the best features of the Kei van camper. It not only provides sleeping space on top, but it also provides space inside.
Various layout options
- The good news is that the Kei van camper has various layout plans to choose from. Customers get to choose or customize their plans according to their preferences. There are three interior layouts and all these layouts arrive with the basic amenities for camping. However, there are a few optional items that you can choose from.
- Some of the layout plans include overhead storage, a freshwater tank, two sinks, solar panels, tables, a refrigerator, a microwave, screen doors, etc. You can also access the pop-up roof tent from inside the van. This is a major advantage when it comes to the Kei van camper.
- Some of the other floor plans and additional options are the awnings and extra room to the side of the van. This side room is just an extension and it is easily detachable.
- Some of the floorplan combinations include a roof rack while some features are excluded. You get to choose what is required including the refrigerator and microwave. These are the basic features that arrive with the Kei van campers.
Kei van camper models
Many Kei van campers are built on various vehicle models. These campers are developed and constructed on the base of other vehicles and their components. Here are some of the Kei van camper models.
N-box camper Neo Pop Hot
- The N-box camper New Pop Hot is manufactured by a well-known company named White House. The basic car model on based on the Honda N-Box. This Kei van camper is compared to the Volkswagen Westfalia and it has some of the best features and amenities. There is easy access from the inside of the vehicle.
- This camper van can accommodate up to four people to sleep comfortably. It also has a living room with air-heating systems. The optional battery charging, awning, and bicycle rack are some of the other benefits.
Mini Pop Bee
- This particular model is built by MYS Mystic on the base car model of the Toyota Pixis Truck. The pop-up roof is large with enough head and leg room. The interior height of this vehicle is 1,830 mm.
- It has flip-up open widows that come fixed with mosquito screens. One of the other key features is the fold-out table at the side of the camper.
- The Indy 108 is the smallest Kei van camper that is manufactured by Towa Motors on the base car model of the Daihatsu Hijet Truck. This model has a tilted popup tent that is built with high quality.
- It has a sink, table, small dinette, and enough space for four people to sleep comfortably. It also has a 30-liter fresh and grey water tank with a luggage compartment.
Spinach Popup Roof
- The Spinach Popup Roof is manufactured by Nuts RV on the base car model of the Nissan NV100 Clipper. This model has blackout blinds, sleep space for four people, and an insulated popup roof.
- You can access the popup tent from the inside and there is plenty of well-designed cabinets. This vehicle has a flexible interior configuration with a face-to-face layout.
- It also has outdoor showers and is built with high-level technology for safety and comfort purposes. There is an opening at the rear and a shelf to store all your luggage.
- The Rakuneru N-Van is manufactured by Rocky 2 and it is built on the base car model of the Honda N-Van. This model has a sleeping capacity of two people. It has heating options, blackout blinds, solar panels, and perfect storage options.
- This model does not have a popup tent. The accessories and appliances are excellent and it is an entry-level Kei van camper.
Klein 108 Alle
- This model is manufactured by Towa motors and based on the Suzuki Every Join car model. This vehicle is designed to carry four and it has a sleeping capacity of up to two people.
- There are lockable overhead cabinets and a neatly fitted microwave. You can also opt for a television if necessary. It has an inverter and a fan built into the cabinet.
Kyu-den Kun Popup
- This model is manufactured by Auto One on the Suzuki Every Join base car model. This is a spacious camper that has sleeping space for four people. There are adaptable cabinets and a handy table mounted at the rear of the camper. The side can be used as an awning and there is an external portable table.
- One of the best parts about this camper is to additional tent option on the raised tailgate. This makes it perfect for another roof, outdoor shower, or outdoor kitchen. This is one of the high-end Kei camper models that have a coffee machine and luxury features.
N-Van Compo Pop Cabin
- This is yet another model that has been built on the Honda N-Van by White House manufacturers. It has a sleeping capacity of four people with the most efficient interior layout. The retractable large opening at the rear acts as an awning by itself. The roof is thermally insulated and it has independent forced-air heating systems.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “What is a Kei van camper?” We have discussed the Kei van camper’s features and specifications. We have also talked about the various Kei van camper models that are available in the market. We have touched upon the key features, layout plans, and advantages of these models.