What class is a motorhome for MOT? (7 Q&A)

In today’s blog post, we will discuss: What class is a motorhome for MOT? We will tell you everything there is to know about the MOT of a motorhome and answer a few common questions regarding this subjects. 

What class is a motorhome for MOT?

A motorhome is class 4 MOT, which also includes the following vehicle types:

  • Campervans
  • Caravans
  • Vans
  • Commercial vehicles that weigh up to 6600 lbs;
  • Taxis and other private hire vehicles. 

Motorhomes are land vehicles that differ from others in that they are habitable. Thus, they are specified to be usually occupied on a temporary or seasonal basis and can move around. Regarding motorhomes considered as heavy goods vehicles, they must also pass a technical but different control. Please note, failure to carry out this technical control is an offence punishable by a 4th class fine.

Everything you need to know about motorhomes MOT

Motorhomes are subject to technical inspection, regardless of their Total Authorized Loaded Weight, but the regulations are still different depending on the weight of the leisure vehicle. 

This should be done at an approved centre at the expense of the vehicle owner. If the motorhome is part of the category of light vehicles with a Total Authorized Loaded Weight (GVWR) less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes, the latter is then obliged to follow the same regulations as the cars. 

The first technical inspection is to be carried out during the 6 months preceding the 4th anniversary of its first registration date, or more commonly its first entry into service. The verifications of this new technical control dropped from 133 points against 124 previously, making it possible to determine the general condition of the motorhome and its mechanics. 

There are nine functions checked in approved centres such as for example, braking devices, steering, visibility and safety components, lights and electrical equipment. These include in particular the specific equipment for electric and hybrid engines.

No notice is sent since the technical control is at the initiative of the owner, so check the maintenance booklet of your motorhome for follow-up. Once the technical inspection has been carried out, a report is given to the owner in which he mentions the results obtained, the validity limit of the technical inspection and the date of the next inspection. 

The inspector then affixes a stamp on the registration card indicating the result of the technical control as well as its deadline. The “letter A” indicates a favourable result while the letters “S” and “R” respectively indicate an unfavourable result for major failures and critical failures.

The points of failure are now divided into 3 levels:

  • Minor failures: they do not require a follow-up.
  • Major failures: repairs are necessary with a check-up within 2 months.
  • Critical failures: the motorhome is prohibited from driving except on the day of the technical control and it is also subject to a second inspection within 2 months.

For the technical inspection of motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes, the recreational vehicle is 

considered to be a heavy vehicle. As a result, the technical control will not be the same as that for motorhomes weighing less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes. 

In this specific case, the technical inspection of so-called “heavy” vehicles must be carried out between 6 months and one year after the date of first entry into service for the 1st technical inspection and then every year.

When to carry out the MOT of your motorhome?

The frequency of technical inspections for motorhomes is established according to their Total Authorized Loaded Weight. For light leisure vehicles, the first technical inspection is carried out within 6 months before the 4th anniversary of the date of the first entry into service, then, the frequency is then every 2 years. 

As for motorhomes that fall into the heavy vehicle category, the first technical inspection must be carried out between 6 months and 1 year before the 1st anniversary of the first date of registration, then each year thereafter.

Before making an appointment with an approved technical control centre, it is recommended that you find out about the type of installation offered by the technical centre. The most important thing is whether it is equipped to accommodate and control your motorhome. For all intents and purposes, do not hesitate to make a request to several centres to compare the rates because they can vary from one to two.

Q&A about What class is a motorhome for MOT?

When should I carry out the technical inspection of my motorhome?

This is the first question you ask yourself when you own a motorhome. The answer is quite simple and does not depend on the total authorized weight of your vehicle.  Indeed, any motorhome must undergo a technical inspection within 6 months preceding the 4th anniversary of its first registration. The control then remains valid for two years.

Will I receive a notice for the MOT of my motorhome?

No. No summons is sent for the MOT of your motorhome. You must take the initiative for the technical inspection of your motorhome. A little tip: its expiry date is mentioned on the registration certificate, like on a “classic” car.

Where can I have my motorhome inspected?

You can have your motorhome inspected in any part of the country. There are several hundred approved centres nationwide. Just make an appointment, sometimes online, and show up with the original registration certificate – a copy would not be accepted.

How much will the technical inspection of my vehicle cost me?

The price of the technical control varies according to the centres and regions. However, it will rarely cost less than 50 dollars, and just as rarely more than 100 dollars.  The control includes vehicle identification elements (license plates, documents, etc.), braking equipment, steering and visibility equipment, various lights and reflective devices, and the condition of the tires.

On each of the control points, the controller can assign one of the following three failure levels, if applicable:

  • minor fault: a fault has been observed, but it cannot compromise the safety of the vehicle or the environment,
  • major failure: a defect has been observed, and it may have an impact on the safety of the driver or other road users, or be harmful to the environment,
  • critical failure: a defect has been observed, and it constitutes an immediate and direct danger.

What happens in the event of an MOT failure?

If the controller detects the slightest “major” or “critical” failure, the technical inspection is not validated. The consequences are different between major failures and critical failures.

What document will I get at the end of my MOT?

At the end of the technical inspection of your motorhome, whatever the conclusion, you will obtain a report, mentioning, in particular, the result of the periodic check: “favourable”, “unfavourable for major failure”, “unfavourable for failure critical ”. 

Likewise, a stamp will be affixed to the registration certificate, as well as a sticker on the vehicle bearing the letters “CT” accompanied by the date before which your motorhome must be re-examined.

What do I risk if I forget the technical control of my motorhome?

Better to write the date of your next technical inspection in your diary. Indeed, the law punishes with a fine of up to 750 dollars any motorhome owner who is unable to prove that he has had the condition of his vehicle checked. 

The sanction can even go further if the police or gendarmes believe that the motorhome clearly shows signs of poor condition: the immobilization of the vehicle can be decided, with the withholding of the registration certificate. A circulation card, valid for seven days, is then issued. Only one possible destination: the nearest technical control centre.


Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!