What can I use to clean the RV carpet? (9 great options)
In this blog post, we will answer the following question: What can I use to clean the RV carpet? We will discuss how to thoroughly clean an RV carpet, how to make your own carpet detergent and how to keep the inside of your RV always clean and fresh.
What can I use to clean the RV carpet?
To clean the RV carper, you can use either a special carpet solution or a DIY mix. Here are just a few common options:
- Hoover Oxy carpet cleaner
- Carpet Miracle carpet cleaner
- Hoover Free & Clean Carpet
- Hoover Revive & Renew carpet
- Rug doctor oxy steam carpet cleaner
- Zep Carpet Shampoo.
Or you could use your own homemade mixture:
- Mix ¼ cup of white vinegar with ¼ cup of lukewarm water
- Mix any dishwashing gel with 1 cup of lukewarm water
- Mix one tablespoon of household ammonia with ½ cup of lukewarm water.
Note: To properly clean an RV rug, it is important to wet it before using a powder cleaner. This can be done with a good old mop or a large sponge. It is then necessary to scrub, for example with a cleaning brush.
Dusting the RV carpet: Oftentimes, these are the carpets, it is a good dusting more than a cleaning. So the first step should be to vacuum it up, then turn the rug over and do the same with the back. Sometimes it is necessary to repeat this step 2 or 3 times until no more dust falls on the floor. Also take the opportunity to sprinkle some baking soda before vacuuming, which also eliminates odours!
Homemade detergent to clean the RV carpet
As we have mentioned above, you can also make your own liquid cleaner. Just pour 4 litres of very hot water into a boiler, then add 2 tbsp. liquid laundry detergent, ¼ cup orange oil all-purpose cleaner and 2 Tbsp. oxygen stain remover powder (Oxy type).
Mix everything well and apply to the carpet by rubbing, for example with a long stiff bristle broom for the exterior. Then rinse with a sponge and let dry completely. If possible, this step would take place outside on a clean surface!
For antique or fine rugs: Aside from gentle hand cleaning to remove a light stain, this type of luxury rug should be treated by a professional! They have both the equipment and the expertise to make a carpet come back like new, but very smoothly.
PS: Some people will clean their carpets in a car wash! Not the automated ones, it goes without saying, but rather the old-fashioned ones, where you bring the car and do it yourself.
It’s really not that absurd: this place allows you to run the industrial garden hose directly over the carpet (with cleaner), thus washing and removing dust, small stones and other debris, then rinsing abundantly in a place that allows water to drain easily.
It is also possible to reproduce this method at home with a pressure machine and a large garden or balcony!
Don’t worry if you have fixed carpets that can be cleaned completely or in part. For a complete cleaning, you must rent a professional machine, which is still possible in some grocery stores (you must inquire at customer service).
To treat a stain only, try the stain remover or oxygen detergent method mentioned above for sofas, starting with a less visible place, such as under a piece of furniture for example.
More tips for cleaning your RV carpet
While many models have laminate flooring in the kitchens and bathrooms, most RVs have carpets in the living rooms and bedrooms. With proper care, your RV mat can provide comfort and style for many years to come.
- Vacuum regularly. Caring for your RV carpet using methods similar to those used for carpet care at home. Vacuuming will remove dust, dirt, and food particles that can damage the fibres over time.
As soil accumulates within carpet fibres, it can have a glowing effect, creating matted carpets that will further retain dry particles and soil. Vacuuming also helps lift the nap and provide a fresh look.
If your RV is used daily, vacuum twice a week with three passes of the vacuum for lightly soiled areas and up to seven passes in heavily soiled areas. If you only use your RV periodically, vacuuming when you’re done with the trip will suffice.
- Spot clean and spills. Some stain removal methods include using cold water; ammonia (1 tablespoon mixed with half a cup of water); detergent (1 teaspoon mixed with 1 cup of warm water); vinegar (one-third cup mixed with two-thirds water) or a specialized carpet cleaner.
No matter which method you prefer, be sure to remove all solid material as soon as possible. Use a paper towel or cloth towel to absorb the liquid in a blotting motion rather than scrubbing. Scrubbing will create a fuzzy carpet surface.
- Use the power of steam. There are many steam cleaners available on the market and the hot water extraction method will clean your carpet, leaving very little residue behind. Most residential carpet manufacturers recommend professional cleaning every year and a half for optimal longevity. RV rugs, however, are generally used less frequently and should do well with regular personal care.
- Use an entrance mat. Placing a welcome mat on the door of your motorhome will encourage guests and family members to clean dirty shoes before tracking down the dirt on your RV mat.
Recreational vehicles come in a variety of shapes and sizes. RVs are designed to provide campers and travellers with comfortable accommodation while on the road or in a park. RVs offer a stove, oven, and refrigerator in the kitchen, cabinets for storage, seating for dining and lounging, beds for sleeping, and a full bathroom for your convenience.
While many models have laminate flooring in the kitchens and bathrooms, most RVs also include rugs in the living rooms and bedrooms. With proper care, your RV mat can provide comfort and style for many years to come.
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments about the content.
FAQ on What can I use to clean the RV carpet?
How to wash an RV rug?
To wash an RV rug you can use black soap or dish soap. To clean a carpet with soapy water, use a soft sponge dampened with water and soap. Rub gently. The carpet should not be excessively wet, otherwise, it will have a hard time drying.
How to deep clean a carpet?
To deep clean your carpet the first solution is to wash it with a sponge impregnated with soapy water (or a mixture of water and household alcohol). If your carpet is clear, dilute a few drops of ammonia in soapy water and scrub the carpet with a rag soaked in this mixture.
How to wash a carpet in the washing machine?
Before putting a carpet in the washing machine, first think about vacuuming it, just to remove the bulk of the dirt, as well as the dust. Then spray the most stubborn stains with a suitable cleaning product. If your rug has a long pile, place it in a laundry bag.
- 12 Important Aspects About How To Clean RV Carpet?
- THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN CARPET IN AN RV – YouTube
- 7 Simple Cleaning Tips For Your RV’s Interior – Do It Yourself RV