In this blog post, we will answer the following question: What can I clean my RV shower with? This is a short guide that you should keep reading to find out how to clean an RV shower door, shower curtain, shower head, and more…
What can I clean my RV shower with?
You can clean your RV shower with homemade solutions (soap, vinegar and baking soda will be your forever allies) or special RV cleaning products such as Ultrafoam Aqua-Clean bath cleaner from Thetford.
To clean an RV shower is not so different from the one from your home. Still, we tell you how to do it:
- Start by emptying the shower. Remove any loofahs, bottles, razors and soaps that may interfere with cleaning. Wipe plastic items with a dry cloth to remove water and mould. Sort and dispose of unused products and accessories. Keep the essentials.
- Using a bucket or bowl, spray the walls and tub with hot water. It is possible to serve as a removable shower head. The objective is to drain the dirt into the exhaust duct. In addition, regularly rinse these surfaces between each cleaning to keep the shower clean. Do not hesitate to use a mould cleaner.
- Clean the air in the room by opening the windows. Indeed, cleaning products can present a risk to health, especially if inhaled. If there is an exhaust fan, turn it on for better ventilation.
- Imagine four sections for the wall. Spray cleaning product first then leave to stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Avoid acidic solutions such as ammonia, vinegar or those used for marble. Favour products adapted to the material.
Otherwise, make your own solution based on 250 ml of vinegar, 25 ml of ammonia, 100 ml of baking soda and 5 litres of hot water.
- Soak it in a soft bristle brush or sponge, then apply it to the surfaces to be cleaned through tight circles. Do not hesitate to rinse between each wipe if the area is very dirty. Avoid brushes with harsh bristles as well as wire brushes that can scratch the walls and the shower pan.
- Remove the rest of the product by rinsing with clean water. Repeat the operation until a satisfactory result is obtained.
- Continue with the remaining sections.
- If there are black marks on the gaskets, loosen them with an old toothbrush and a mixture of diluted bleach. Thoroughly rub the targeted areas, then rinse.
What to clean an RV shower tray with?
To clean an RV shower tray, first, rid the siphon of hair and dirt. To do this, pull the flat plug with a screwdriver, then unscrew the siphon inside. Remove it, empty the dirt from it and wash it with soapy water.
Then clean the shower cabin. Mix a litre of hot water with a glass of white vinegar and a glass of soda crystals and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray this natural product on the enamel and let it sit. You can use the same mixture on tiles and walls, like on your shower door. The lime in the shower will gradually dissolve. After half an hour, rinse with clean water and a soft sponge.
To clean the shower joints, take an old toothbrush and use a mixture of baking soda moistened with lemon juice. Spread this paste on the joints and rub.
Finally, line your taps with paper towels and spray the mixture on them. Let the product “attack” the limestone. Remove the papers and rinse with clean water. Finally, wipe with a clean cloth to make the stainless steel shine.
What to clean a yellowed RV shower with?
Lime and dirt combine to turn your shower tray yellow. Raspy, brown-yellow streaks appeared. To overcome it, heat a litre of white vinegar, pour it into a spray bottle and add a tablespoon of baking soda. Shake and spray over the entire yellow area. Leave on overnight, then rub with the abrasive side of the sponge. Repeat if necessary.
How to clean an RV faucet?
The faucet of the RV deserves special attention as it is used frequently.
- Start by moistening the surface to remove dirt. This operation must be repeated every week to remove stains and traces. Indeed, toothpaste and soap are quite messy.
- Make a cleaning solution of vinegar and hot water.
- Let cool before soaking a cloth.
- Rub the marks and other marks with the cloth in circular motions.
- Dry with a clean, dry cloth.
How to clean an RV shower head?
The showerhead can become a breeding ground for bacteria without maintenance.
- Add white vinegar to a 4-litre plastic bag. The amount of liquid varies depending on the size of the showerhead. Use a trash bag, more solid and sturdy.
- Immerse the pommel in the bag, making sure it is completely submerged.
- With an elastic or another suitable accessory, tie the pocket.
- Let stand overnight. The next day, remove the pommel, then rinse it with clean water.
How to clean the RV shower door?
The shower door generally reflects the cleanliness of that room.
- With a bowl or bucket, spray this surface to drain any dirt present. Repeat the process once a week, especially between each deep cleansing.
- Prepare a cleaning solution with 15 ml of white vinegar and 25 ml of baking soda. Transfer it to a spray bottle, then spray the door.
- Leave on for a few minutes before wiping with a soft microfiber cloth.
- Rinse the door until all the cleaning product is gone.
- Dry the surface with a dry cloth.
How to clean an RV shower curtain?
The shower curtain also deserves special care.
- Remove the shower curtain. Place it in the machine, taking care to spread it out as much as possible.
- Introduce two or three towels to better remove stains on the curtain. Choose large, medium-sized bath towels.
- Pour in the usual detergent while avoiding fabric softener.
- Inspect the label to determine the washing method. Otherwise, clean it with the usual settings.
- Air dry or tumble dry.
How to clean an RV toilet?
The toilets must be maintained in the same row as the furniture in the bathroom.
- Spray the bowl with a cup of baking soda.
- Let sit for a few minutes before rubbing gently with a brush.
- Flush to rinse. Do not hesitate to use a pumice stone to remove encrusted limestone stains. Use a special toilet brush.
The bottom line
To keep the RV bathroom always clean, some good habits should be adopted:
- Prevent the appearance of new stains with a window protection product.
- Clean the walls and the glass door with a shower squeegee after each toilet.
- Let the water run before getting out of the shower to drain any dirt.
- Clean the air in the bathroom after each use by leaving the door ajar.
What tips and tricks do you use to clean your RV shower? Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts and ideas!
FAQ on What can I clean my RV shower with?
How to clean the interior of the RV?
To clean the interior of the RV, dip a sponge in soap and water and gently scrub the windows of your van, emphasizing the areas with the most accumulated dirt. Then wipe with a damp cloth to rinse. Finally, dry the crystals with a little newspaper, they will stay shiny!
How do you clean the exterior of a motorhome?
To clean the exterior of the motorhome, use water with neutral soap or a dishwasher. Moisten it with the hose, and scrub with a brush. When it is well soaked, rinse it and if you want to dry it with a cloth, and as new.
Why use vinegar for the toilet tank?
White vinegar and water are great to disinfect the toilet. A simple solution to whiten it and, above all, reduce the presence of pathogens is to use a good amount of white vinegar. To disinfect your toilet, spray the cup of vinegar on all surfaces of the toilet and let it act for 15 to 20 minutes.