What are the best rooftop tents with a roof rack?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “What are the best rooftop tents with a roof rack?” We will describe the best rooftop tents with roof racks along with their specs and features. We will also describe why you need a roof rack for a rooftop tent. Furthermore, we will discuss the types of roof rack mounts.
What are the best rooftop tents with a roof rack?
The best rooftop tents with a roof rack are listed below
- Front runner rooftop tent
- Campoint hard shell rooftop tent
- Rough Country rack mount roof top tent
- Smittybilt 2883 overlander
Front Runner rooftop tent
When it comes to rooftop tents with a roof rack, the Front Runner rooftop tent is the first that comes to mind. This particular rooftop tent is a soft shell tent and the biggest advantage is the lightweight. This tent is easy to transport, install, and remove. It is also perfect for off-road adventures. Here are some of the features and specs listed below.
- 34 sq. ft. floor area
- Maximum height of 46 inches
- Sleeping capacity for two adults
- Overall weight of 93 pounds
- Perfect for small cars and solo travelers
- Easy installation
- Made from 600 D poly and cotton ripstop
- Comfortable mattress
The Front Runner rooftop tent has a durable body and the fabric is made up of high quality. There is also an optional quick-release tent mount kit to speed up the removal duration. The biggest advantage is that it arrives with a strong and reliable base and frame. This rooftop tent is perfect for a couple or solo travelers and is sure to last for a long time. The price for the front runner is $1,169.
Campoint hard shell rooftop tent
The Campoint hard shell rooftop tent is a perfect option for camping in extreme rain and rough climatic conditions. This rooftop tent can accommodate up to three people. There is an all-season option which includes the ladder, shoe bag, and crossbar. However, the price is a little more expensive at $1,849.
- Size when open 80 x 50 x 43 inches
- Size when close 85 x 50 x 10 inches
- Three adjustable crossbars
- 49-inch wide roof rack
- Constructed with ABS hard shell
- Stainless steel frame base
- Waterproof oxford fabric with PU coating
- 2-inch mattress
- 7.2 feet aluminum telescopic ladder
- Breathable mosquito net
- Built-in zippered mosquito screens.
The Campoint hard shell rooftop is sturdy and it is well matched for off-road camping. This tent can be assembled with ease once you have it fitted to your vehicle. The mattress is comfortable and it has enough space on the inside. The shoe bag is another added advantage of the rooftop tent.
Rough Country rack mount roof top tent
The Rough Country rack mount rooftop tent has been one of the best sellers for a long time. This tent has a unique appearance and it arrives with some additional and unique features. Some add-ons can be used with this tent. Below are some of the key features and specs of the Rough Country rank mount rooftop tent.
- Sleeping capacity up to three people
- Bed size of 92” x 62”
- Arrives with a rainfly
- Overall weight of 120 pounds
- Dimensions 65 x 50 x 14 inches
- 12V accessory and LED light kit
- Mosquito screens
- Led strip
- Ladder extension
This rooftop tent has a 420 D oxford rip-stop fabric and it comes with a durable aluminum frame. The mounting hardware is also provided and it has a durable cover with the RV logo. It has a fast-fold design and a load capacity of 660 pounds. The ladder extension will be required for vehicles with a cab height of 83 inches.
Smittybilt 2883 overlander
Smittybilt is a reputed name when it comes to rooftop tents and they have manufactured some of the best tents to match all needs. This tent can be installed in just a few minutes and it has some impressive features. For the price range and durability, Smittybilt is considered one of the top-selling rooftop tents.
- Overall weight of 139 pounds
- Fully waterproof tent
- 600 D heavy duty rip top polyester
- Coyote tan
- Mosquito screens
- Interior LED strip light
This rooftop tent is easy to set up and take down. It is comfortable on the inside and it is also built to withstand harsh conditions. It is sturdy for all weather conditions, especially during high winds, rain, and snow. The biggest advantage is that this tent can fit up to four people comfortably with its spacious interiors.
Those were some of the best rooftop tents with a roof rack and roof mounts. These tents are built to last long and they have some of the best features. They are easy to install and they can be well matched for cars and jeeps. If you are planning on camping often or making quick trips, these are some of the best tents to consider.
Why do you need a roof rack for a rooftop tent?
You are required to have a roof rack for a rooftop tent unless your rooftop tent arrives with a roof rack. Before purchasing a rooftop tent it is essential to look for a durable roof rack that will match your vehicle and the tent. Installing a heavy-duty roof rack on your vehicle is an important factor.
When purchasing a roof rack, be sure that the weight limit is more than the actual weight of the tent. It is also important to consider the weight of the people who sleep in it. In some cases, you might just need an aftermarket crossbar that can be fixed to the factory roof rails. Be sure to get this checked before you make a purchase.
Types of roof rack mounts
Several types of roof rack mounts are used. These mounts play a crucial role when it comes to fixing your rooftop tent. These are types of roof rack mounts that are commonly used.
- Clamp mounts are pretty common and are used for vehicles that have no factor concessions including for fitting roof racks. These mounts are versatile and can be adjusted accordingly.
Raised rail mounts
- Raised rail mounts are another common type. These are also called open rails and they have a clear space between the roof and the rail. This can be used with various mounting methods and they have more options with bar spread.
Flush rail mounts
- Flush rail mounts are when a vehicle has mounting rails that are situated along the length of the roof. There is no gap between the roof and the flush rail.
Fixed point mounts
- Fixed point mounts are pretty noticeable on vehicles that do not have any type of rails.
- Gutter mounts are pretty vintage and they are not common in new-age vehicles. These mounts have a solid gap between the roofs of the vehicle.
- Track mounts are metal tracks that run the length of the roof. These are considered a permanent installation and the biggest advantage is that you can add several bars to these mounts.
- A cross between fixed tracks and points is what a permanent mount means. You will be required to drill and rivet the mount onto your vehicle roof. These are versatile mounts and it is one of the best solutions.
Those are the most commonly used roof mount racks for installing a rooftop tent. While some of the rooftop tents arrive with these racks, some will need to be purchased separately. Ensure to understand your vehicle and the type of mount that is required. You can also ask the experts where you plan on purchasing your rooftop tent.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “What are the best rooftop tents with a roof rack?” We have described the best rooftop tents with roof racks along with their specs and features. We have also described why you need a roof rack for a rooftop tent. Furthermore, we have discussed the types of roof rack mounts.