What are some Honda Fit camper conversion ideas?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “What are some Honda Fit camper conversion ideas?” We will discuss some of the easiest Honda Fit camper conversion ideas and touch upon a few conversion tips. Additionally, we will talk about the essential items for a Honda Fit camper conversion.
What are some Honda Fit camper conversion ideas?
Some Honda Fit camper conversion ideas are.
- Building a sleeping platform
- Fixing a rooftop tent
- Adding an external tent
- Installing an awning.
Building a sleeping platform
- The Honda Fit is a compact, comfortable car with decent features and specifications. Regarding conversion, only limited ideas can be used due to the space. Converting a Honda Fit into a fully-functioning camper is possible, but certain restrictions exist.
- Building a sleeping platform is one of the easiest and best Honda Fit camper conversion ideas. This is an easy way to convert the Honda Fit into a camper. To build a sleeping platform, the rear seats in the Honda Fit need to be removed.
- The best way is to create a platform that sits perfectly in the rear area. This platform can be used for sleeping. The Honda Fit can easily accommodate up to two people with a comfortable sleeping space. The best way to build a sleeping platform is by using plywood sheets and 2 by 4 wooden beams.
- Start by measuring the space at the rear and build a wooden frame according to the dimensions. With the help of plywood, you can add a base to the wooden frame. Use hinges on one end of the plywood and the frame to access the space for storage.
- You can also build storage compartments or drawers with the help of plywood under the sleeping area. Modular storage containers can be another option to store your camping gear. Use foam or inflatable mattresses over the plywood as a bed. Add a couple of pillows or cushions over the bed for a comfortable experience.
- A sleeping platform is one of the best Honda Fit camper conversion ideas. This is an easy task, and it provides storage with an area for sleeping. However, it may be hard to find space for a medium-sized refrigerator with this idea.
Fixing a rooftop tent
- The next idea is to fix a rooftop tent. This is always an option for those who want to use the rear space for various items. Remove the rear seats to use the area for extra storage. You build several shelves and add a portable fridge, a cassette toilet, and a few other items.
- For the rooftop tent, it is important to get the dimensions of the Honda Fit roof. Make a note of the width and length of the roof. Remember that the Honda Fit has a tapered roof, especially at the front. Hence, it is required to have a roof rack installed on the vehicle.
- Plenty of roof racks are built and sold specifically for the Honda Fit. Get the right roof rack and install it securely. The next step is to purchase a rooftop tent based on the measurements of the roof rack.
- There are plenty of compact rooftop tents that are available in the market. These rooftop tents have a simple design but can easily accommodate up to two people. Avoid getting a hard-shell rooftop tent since it will not be a good idea for the Honda Fit. Make sure to get a softshell rooftop tent that is easy to install and collapse.
- Check the weight of the rooftop tent and avoid ones that are too heavy since it might affect the drag or add to the vehicle’s GVWR. A rooftop tent will provide more space at the rear of the vehicle. This is one of the best camper conversion ideas for a Honda Fit.
Adding an external tent
- For those who do not like the idea of carrying a tent around on the vehicle’s roof, an external tent is one of the best ideas. This gives you more space since the tent is not attached to the vehicle. An external tent can be set up anywhere near the vehicle.
- Many campers park their Honda Fit appropriately and carry a tent around for camping. This will also give you the freedom to camp where you want. On the other hand, it is important to have access to the vehicle.
- Adding an external tent will provide enough space on the inside for storage and other accessories. An external tent will provide enough space for multiple storage options. Plenty of portable storage shelves can be added to the rear space of the Honda Fit.
- Despite the type of camper conversion idea, it is always important to remove the rear seats to make use of the extra space. There will be enough space to add a portable fridge and a cassette toilet with the help of an external tent.
Installing an awning
- The next option is to install an awning. Although this is not one of the best camper conversion ideas, it is still affordable. An awning can be extended from the Honda Fit, providing a huge space outside.
- There are plenty of options when it comes to awnings. A combination of an awning and tent will sever the purpose and provide space like an extra room. For sleeping, there are plenty of options, like sleeping bags. These sleeping bags can be easily set up in the awning. An outdoor kitchen with a portable stove and table is sure to improve things.
- Installing an awning or external tent will also allow you to install solar panels on the roof. A 100-watt solar panel should be enough to power a 12-volt refrigerator and all the essential electronics.
Essential items for a Honda Fit camper conversion
When camping, it is important to have all the essential items to make life comfortable on the road. Here are some must-have goods for a Honda Fit camper.
- Storage is one of the most important things to consider. Make use of the space properly by adding storage shelves and compartments. Install compartments, hanging shelves, or fabric bins. This will help you to keep things organized while camping.
- It’s always important to have a kitchenette when camping. A small portable camping stove is a must-have to prep your meals. A portable table to cook is yet another important item on the list. Make sure to have enough storage containers to build a small outdoor kitchen.
- A 12-volt refrigerator or a cooler is needed to store all the food and drinks while traveling. A refrigerator will help you camp for several days or more.
- Window shades or blackout curtains are important for the Honda Fit, especially if you are building a sleeping platform inside the vehicle. These small items will provide privacy for the camper.
- Battery-powered LED lights are equally important to get some light during the night. Rechargeable lanterns and LED lights are some of the other options to consider.
Those were some of the essential items for a Honda Fit camper conversion. If there is enough space, consider adding a cassette toilet. These are easy to store as they do not consume too much space. An external shower can be another option, but it is not essential. Make sure to note down your preference while converting a Honda Fit into a camper.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “What are some Honda Fit camper conversion ideas?” We have discussed some of the easiest Honda Fit camper conversion ideas and touched upon a few conversion tips. Additionally, we have talked about the essential items for a Honda Fit camper conversion.