In this guide, we will discuss – RV vs Apartment: what to choose? We will discuss the pros and cons of living in an RV and hopefully help you decide whether this lifestyle is for you or not.
RV vs Apartment: what to choose?
RVs have their cons and pros, and although many think this is the ideal home even for the long-term, there are some points that you have to consider before making any big decision.
|Living in an apartment||Living in an RV|
|A lot of space||Limited space|
|More amenities||Fewer amenities|
|Water and electricity when you need it||Limited water and electricity|
|Washing & Drying Machine||No Washing Machine or Drier|
|Full bathroom and running hot water||Bathroom with chemical toilet & cistern to be emptied|
|Security and privacy||More insecurity and less privacy|
|Limited outdoors space||Huge terrace with different views|
10 good reasons to live in an RV
Here are our 10 great reasons to give it a try and at least go for a trip with an RV.
- Adventure! Adventure is the number one reason to travel in an RV. The advantage of travelling the roads is that you have the chance to discover new landscapes, each one more beautiful. Whether in the US or abroad, travelling in a motorhome is synonymous with discovery.
- Like at home! Having your RV is a bit like going on vacation with your house. An advantage that allows you to keep close to you objects that are dear to you. In your motorhome, there is only one rule: your rules. Everything is in its place as you design it, no more worrying about suitcase problems. Travelling has never been so enjoyable.
- A portable house! You can explore a region and enjoy it for as long as you like. In a motorhome, you can stay there, admire the sunset and dine in front of the sublime landscapes. Because you are at home everywhere!
- Travel cheap! The purchase of a motorhome is certainly an investment, but it ends up being largely amortized. Indeed, going on vacation in a motorhome offers an economical alternative to all-inclusive hotel stays.
Plus, no need to pay for a train or plane ticket, the adventure begins at your doorstep. And today, if you want to travel inexpensively and without the constraints of vehicle maintenance, there is a motorhome rental formula. The Yescapa and Wikicamper websites offer you this rental alternative between individuals. It’s simple and economical!
- Holidays for children! Children love motorhome vacations. This is an opportunity to get them off the beaten track and their daily routine to make them discover new landscapes and a different way of life.
- Travelling with your pet! Pet owners are well aware of the problem: what to do with your dog/cat during the holidays? It is often very complicated to leave your pet for a few vacations, so the motorhome remains an ideal solution. A motorhome remains much more spacious than a car, allowing your faithful companion to feel at ease.
- Safety first! Travelling in a motorhome is just as safe as shopping in a hotel. Indeed today there are all kinds of security systems (anti-theft, motorhome alarm) that will ensure you have a peaceful stay.
- A friendly universe! The motorhome sector is a small family. Friendliness is the watchword of all travellers. Links and mutual aid are quickly forged between neighbours in the areas.
- Luxurious and comfortable motorhomes! Today, manufacturers compete in imagination to provide all the necessary comfort to travellers.
- More space! Campervan vacations often rhyme with sporting vacations and each sport requires equipment that takes up more or less space. Unlike the car, there is always enough space to transport your bike, golf clubs or even your motorcycle. In fact, most motorhomes are equipped with a spacious hold.
5 reasons not to love an RV
- There is more work to do. Maybe you like travelling in a motorhome, but the truth is, it’s not all pink. A motorhome is hard work. It is necessary to control the level of clean water, that of dirty water, if you go to a bright place it must be plugged in, otherwise, it is necessary to control the level of the batteries.
In addition, when the indicator lights of the indicator lights control unit turn on, you have to empty the dirty water tank, fill the clean one, empty the chemical toilet or charge the batteries.
You also have to spend time designing the route taking into account the dimensions and characteristics of the vehicle, driving, choosing the places to spend the trip, do the dishes, wash clothes by hand, cleaning, make the beds, throw out the garbage and a long etc.
- Limited space. The space in an RV is always small compared to a house, hotel or apartment. The small amount of space available when travelling by motorhome tests everyone on a motorhome trip, one way or another.
- Driving can be quite a challenge. The motorhome is not a precise and light vehicle. It has many uses and virtues, but precisely none are designed for rallying.
The weight, dimensions, and carrying a house on top make you go slower than any other conventional touring. High-speed impact in this type of vehicle, where there is fibreglass and no sheet metal, is no easy task. Speed makes everything in our closets vibrate more and things can break prematurely.
- Parking and accessibility. The issue of parking and accessibility in certain places is a key theme in the hatred of motorhome travel. And if it’s not to hate, at least it’s a problem that scares or recedes when considering motorhome driving.
For the size of the vehicle and because in many municipalities we are not welcome, driving and parking is not an easy subject. We need to plan at a minimum, and fortunately, today we have technology as a great ally with a special GPS for motorhomes, applications and websites that makes it easier for us to find parking lots and places at night.
- You depend on water and electricity sources. And finally. The worst part about motorhome travel is that this portable house does not have general water, electricity, and sewage systems. It has autonomy, but at most, only 4 days on average.
Thus, you cannot be indefinitely in a dreamy place far from the world, you will have to move to empty grey and black water, fill up with water, change gas, put gasoline, recharge batteries in electricity, etc.
The bottom line
Now the good thing with living in an RV is that you are becoming an environmental enthusiast and a saver of water, energy and any other resource. Although motorhomes use up gasoline and pollute when we travel, because at the moment there is no electric motorhome, we are certainly one of the most eco-friendly and eco-friendly tourists.
Some people, particularly retirees, are drawn to the idea of living in an RV full time. The decision to pack and live in an RV should be made with planned costs in mind. You will need to consider the financial changes that come with making such a lifestyle decision before you can consider the decision to move to an RV as fiscally responsible.
Please let us know if you have any comments or questions on the content.
FAQ on RV vs Apartment
What driving-license do I need to drive a motorhome in the United States?
Unless you want to reserve a bus-type “motorhome”, the “B” driving license is enough to drive a motorhome in the United States, apart from the international driving license that is usually necessary to drive more relaxed.
What do I have to bring to travel by RV?
Don’t even think about packing towels, dishes or a blanket for your motorhome trip. Companies often offer a kitchen kit with everything you need to cook and eat for about $ 100.
In addition, they will offer you to rent a coffee maker or toaster for about $ 8 the whole trip. They also offer a personal kit for $ 50, which includes a sleeping bag, pillow, blanket, bath towels and sink.
What are the energy sources of a motorhome?
The most important is gasoline, with which the vehicle moves.
- Propane gas, with which the kitchen fires, the refrigerator, the heating and the water heater for the shower work.
- Electric batteries. The motorhomes are equipped with 2 batteries, one for starting the engine and the other auxiliary for the interior light, the water pump and, to a limited extent, the fan and heating.
- Electric generator. This generator is connected to supply 230v electricity to the microwave, the television, the air conditioning and the electrical outlets while the motorhome is stopped unless we have the vehicle connected to an electrical outlet in our camping space.