In this blog post, we will answer the question: “Is the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost reliable?” We will discuss the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost specifications, power, unique features, oil capacity, mileage, and more. We will also discuss some of the most common issues that have been addressed in the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost.
Is the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost reliable?
Yes, the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost is reliable. The 2.7 Ecoboost is one of the most reliable engines that is manufactured by Ford. The 2.7 Ecoboost is known for its longevity and durability. The 2.7 Ecoboost was a huge success and it turned out to be one of the most popular engines that have ever been manufactured by Ford.
The F-150 2.7 Ecoboost has incredible torque, towing capacity, and excellent power. The performance of this engine is equally outstanding and there have been fewer complaints from the 2.7 Ecoboost owners. Most people prefer to opt for the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost when compared to other similar models.
F-150 2.7 Ecoboost specifications
The 2.7 Ecoboost turned out to be a huge success as Ford ensured to bring out the best specifications. It is by far one of the best engines by Ford and it is also one of those highly reliable engines. Ford also introduced the 3.5 Ecoboost engine which is similar to the 2.7 Ecoboost. Here are the specifications of the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost engine.
- 325 horsepower
- 375-400 lb-ft torque
- 20 to 26 miles per gallon fuel economy
- 10,100 pounds of max towing capacity
- 2,480 pounds of max payload capacity
- Compact graphite iron
- 83 mm x 83 mm bore and stroke
- 10.3: 1 compression ration
- High-pressure direct injection
- Twin-turbo aspiration
Those were the key specifications of the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost. This engine has a specialized lightweight compact graphite iron block. It also has a square cylinder design and used a twin-turbo V6 engine. The Ford 2.7 Ecoboost is way ahead of the other similar models like Chevrolet’s turbo-boost 2.7 engine.
F-150 2.7 Ecoboost power
- There is no doubt that the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost is a powerful engine. However, there are six different engine variations from this model.
- The paired turbocharges that are present in the 2.7 Ecoboost provide incredible power at full bore. This is an efficient engine with exceptional power and performance. Most owners and drivers are satisfied with the base model of the 2.7 Ecoboost.
F-150 2.7 Ecoboost unique features
- The F-150 2.7 Ecoboost is a unique engine that has some amazing features. It has the standard automatic start-stop technology. This enables the engine to shut down when the truck comes to a complete stop. On the other hand, it will quickly start immediately when pressure is applied to the accelerator.
- The engine is also compatible with the regular 87-octane fuel and it has a high compression ratio.
- The 2.7 Ecoboost has aluminum cylinder heads with water-cooled exhaust manifolds along with the compact iron graphite block material.
- There is a cartridge-style oil filter for better and streamlined maintenance. These oil filters can be easily accessed for repairs if there are any.
Ford-150 2.7 Ecoboost oil capacity
- Ford has considered every aspect carefully while manufacturing this engine. The 2.7 Ecoboost F-150 engine can consume six quarts of oil. This has been the common oil capacity from the first model to the present. However, the 3.0 diesel turbo consumes around 6.6 quarts.
- It is recommended to use synthetic oil from reputed brands to bring out the best experience. It is also recommended to change the oil regularly to extend the lifespan of the engine. Changing the oil every 5,000 miles is highly recommended.
F-150 2.7 Ecoboost engine longevity
- Just like all the other engines, the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost needs to be maintained at proper intervals for longevity. However, the 2.7 Ecoboost is said to have excellent longevity.
- The engine has said to reach up to 200,000 to 230,000 miles with ease. While there might be a few repairs, there have never been any severe repairs during these miles.
- Without a doubt, the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost engine can reach up to 150,000 to 200,000 miles. In some cases, owners have reported having touched 270,000 miles without any major repairs.
F-150 2.7 Ecoboost towing capacity and mileage
- The towing capacity for this 2.7 Ecoboost is incredible. It can easily tow a vehicle up to a maximum of 10,000 pounds. However, it is recommended to stick to 9,000 pounds to have a hassle-free towing experience.
- You can apply modifications to get a higher towing capacity but most people are satisfied with the max towing capacity. This capacity is enough to two most trailers and fifth wheels with ease.
- When it comes to miles per gallon, the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost does not disappoint once again. An average of 20 miles per gallon is promised in cities and 26 miles per gallon is promised on highways.
- Note that the mileage can drop if you are towing heavy vehicles. The 4×4 feature gives you lesser mileage but more power. The 4×4 feature produces 19 miles per gallon in cities and 24 miles per gallon on highways.
- The fuel economy can vary according to the mode that is selected while driving. Some of the other factors consider the truck weight and max load.
F-150 2.7 Ecoboost pickup and speed
- Despite the decent mileage in cities and highways, the 2.7 Ecoboost provides excellent pickup and speed. This engine can tough 0 to 60 miles in 5.7 seconds. While using the 4×4 feature, the engine has recorded a second faster.
- It can easily reach a quarter mile in 14.7 seconds and touch 94.7 miles per hour with the 4×4 feature.
- The F-150 2.7 Ecoboost is not doubted as one of the best engines that have been manufactured till today. Ford continues to manufacture these engines and they have addressed the common issues with the newer models.
- The F-150 2.7 Ecoboost is the perfect engine for towing, mileage, longevity, and more. It is also one of those highly recommended engines.
F-150 2.7 Ecoboost common issues
Although the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost is a durable and long-lasting engine, there are a few common issues that have occurred from time to time. These issues are not severe and they are probably present in all types of engines. However, regular maintenance is sure to avoid such issues. Here are some of the common issues in the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost.
Oil pan leaks
- While most engines have oil pan leaks, the Ford-150 2.7 Ecoboost is said to have these problems more frequently. The good news is that these problems are more prominent in the previous models. Ford has made changes to the newer models and rectified these issues.
Spark plug and ignition coil issues
- Spark plug and ignition coil issues have not gone unnoticed as they need to be replaced every 80,000 to 100,000 miles.
- You might need to replace all six plugs at once and also check on the ignition coil issues once in a while.
Excess oil consumption
- Other issues in the first-generation models were the excess consumption of oil. This was an issue caused by the cylinder head valve guides. The first models had a couple of defects in the valve guides that caused these issues.
- Carbon buildup has been another common issue in the initial models of the 2.7 Ecoboost. There were more common with direct injection engines. This issue was caused by the intake valves of the cylinder heads.
Over the years, Ford has worked on these common issues and resolved most of them. The latest F-150 2.7 Ecoboost has been incredible with various upgrades. Most of the common issues have been addressed and the engine has just become better. The F-150 2.7 Ecoboost is probably the most reliable engine that is available on the market.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “Is the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost reliable?” We have discussed the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost specifications, power, unique features, oil capacity, mileage, and more. We have also discussed some of the most common issues that have been addressed in the F-150 2.7 Ecoboost.