Is it legal to live in a camper year-round in Australia?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “Is it legal to live in a camper year-round in Australia?” We will also talk about the best places to live in a camper year-round in Australia. Additionally, we will discuss the best campsites to live year-round in Australia. At the end of this post, you will get to know some of the best camping spots in Australia.
Is it legal to live in a camper year-round in Australia?
Yes, it is legal to live in a camper year-round in Australia. However, you must obtain a license to stay in a camper in Australia permanently. Another option to live year-round in a camper is to move around to different places. As per the campervan laws in Australia, you are permitted to live in a camper on your private property for 30 days every year.
Living in a caravan temporarily on your private property or a dedicated campsite is easier. Most people live in their camper for around 30 days every year. For a permanent solution, you will be required to get a license. Procuring a license for a camper is not too hard if you have all the required documents.
You must contact the local council to check if you can camp on your property to obtain the license. You will also need to submit the required forms, a picture of the camper and pay the required fees to obtain the license. Once you finish the procedure, you are all set to live in a camper year-round in Australia.
Best places to live in a camper year-round in Australia
Not everyone has the opportunity and convenience to live in a camper year-round in Australia. The good news is that plenty of other places to live in a camper. Here are some of the other alternatives to living in a camper year-round in Australia.
Free public camping sites
- There is no shortage of free public camping sites in Australia. Thousands of camping enthusiasts live in these beautiful camping sites. Australia has numerous camping areas and plenty of designated areas to park your camper overnight.
- This is also a great option for those who want to live year-round in a camper moving from place to place. However, knowing that these places are not meant for long-term parking is important. Most of the free public camping sites provide a limited number of days when it comes to camping.
- If you are looking for a temporary place to stay, the free public camping sites are one of the best options. It is also important to remember that these camping sites might not have all the required facilities or amenities. Be sure to look up the rules and regulations.
- There are plenty of designated RV villages that are spread across Australia. These RV villages are small towns open to all motorhomes, including campers. Since the town gets business from campers, they provide free parking.
- When it comes to the duration of the stay, it depends on the village. Some RV villages offer a longer stay period while others offer a limited time only. The good news is that these RV villages are good enough for people who want to rest for a few days before heading out on the road again.
Private homes and businesses
- Plenty of private homes and business owners allow campers to park on their property. In return, you might be required to pay a small fee. You can easily park your camper and sleep in it; some private homes offer a free stay.
- The most important part of camping in private homes and businesses is strictly following the rules and regulations. It is also worth noting that you cannot stay more than 30 days on these properties.
- Be sure to enquire about the parking laws and regulations before you decide to stay at these places.
Best campsites to live year-round in Australia
Plenty of paid campsites are perfect for living year-round in Australia. These campsites have some of the best features and amenities for a comfortable camping experience. No doubt there is a fee, but camping year-round in the same place will surely bring you a huge discount. On the other hand, you will still require a license to live in a camper.
Margaret River Campsite
- The Margaret River Campsite is located in Western Australia. This particular campsite is open to all camper enthusiasts, and it is open throughout the year.
- Margaret River is located in a beautiful spot and is well-known for its beautiful beaches. These campsites have plenty of activities, like surfing, wineries, and cafes.
- With just a three-hour drive for Perth, there are plenty of beautiful spots to hand around. The weather is also good, and winter is not too cold.
- Located in Queensland, Millaa Milla is one of the most well-known campsites in the country. This is one of the best for those who love nature and greenery. Milla Milla is known for its beautiful waterfalls, and it is a tropical paradise.
- This place is surrounded by lush greenery and tropical rainforest. It is also situated at Queensland’s highest mountain, Mt Bartle Frere. The weather is pleasant, and it is perfect for a family getaway.
- Coffs Harbor is one of the best places for those who love to watch the beautiful sunset behind the hills in the coastal area. This is a picturesque place with breathtaking views. Coffs Harbor is also one of Australia’s top coastal campsites.
- There are hiking trails to get to the ocean, a five-hour drive from Sydney. There are plenty of stopovers and this amazing place. Coffs Harbor also has some of the best amenities and features for campers.
Daintree National Park
- Yet another beautiful campsite that is located in Queensland is the Daintree National Park. This is a world heritage area and a national park that is flourishing with campers throughout the year. There are beautiful beaches, wildlife, tropical rainforests, and more.
- The Daintree National Park has a well-known beach camping site named the “Noah Beach Camping Site.” This campsite is located just 50 meters from the shore. Beautiful trees surround it, which will surely bring some of the best camping experiences.
- The Flinders Ranges is located in Southern Australia and is perfect for those who love an outback experience. There are plenty of campsites at the Flinders Ranges, and it is a five-hour drive from Adelaide.
- The Wilpena Pound Campsite is one of the best places, with a 540 million-year-old landscape. The only drawback to this campsite is that the summers can be brutal with hot temperatures. Camping in winter is one of the best options.
- The Blue Mountains campsite is located in South Wales, just two hours from Sydney. One of the biggest perks of this campsite is that it is completely free and works on a first-come, first-serve basis. Hundreds of campers arrive at this spot every month to enjoy their beautiful stay.
- The Blue Mountains also has all the basic requirements and amenities for a comfortable stay. Camping in winter at the Blue Mountains will be difficult since it can get pretty cold up the mountain. Hence, it is important to be well-prepared while camping during winter.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “Is it legal to live in a camper year-round in Australia?” We have also talked about the best places to live in a camper year-round in Australia. Additionally, we have discussed the best campsites to live in year-round in Australia.