In this blog post, we will answer the question: “Is it cheaper to live in a camper?” We will discuss the rules for living in a camper and discuss some tips for living in a camper to save money. We will also talk about choosing the right campsites, maintaining your rig, and choosing the right camper.
Is it cheaper to live in a camper?
Yes, it is cheaper to live in a camper when compared to living in a house. There are certain advantages and disadvantages of living in a camper, but overall you can save a lot of money if you choose to live in a camper full-time. Some factors are necessary to follow while living in a camper to save money.
Living in a camper is an exciting and adventurous lifestyle, but you will need to get used to living on the road. This lifestyle might not be fit for everyone, so be sure to know everything about camper living before you get into it. Many people around the United States are happy with the idea and lifestyle of living in a camper. However, there are rules that you must abide by.
Rules for living in a camper
If you plan on living in a camper, you will need to know the rules that apply in your particular state. Every state has its laws for living in a camper. In most places, you cannot live permanently in a camper even on your property. In some states, you are allowed to live in a camper for up to 28 days, while some states allow you to live in a camper for up to 11 months.
- Make sure to follow the rules and get permission from the local zoning offices before trying to live in a camper.
- The Department of Housing and Development does not allow you to live in a camper permanently.
- According to the law, motorhomes can only be used for travel and camping purposes. The good news is that you can live in a camper at RV parks for a long time.
- Many RV parks around the country allow you to live in a camper. You will be required to sign an agreement with these parks and pay them a fee on a monthly or yearly basis.
- With many options available, you can either choose to stay in a campground for one month or one year. Some campsites allow you to stay up to 10 years.
- Ensure to find out about these details and how long can you live in a camper as per your state laws or local zoning laws.
- Once you find the right campsite where you can stay, all you need to do is prepare and be ready for the camping lifestyle.
- Be sure to keep aside a budget and stick to a few tips that can help you save money in the long run.
Tips for living in a camper to save money
Now the whole point of you staying in a camper is to save money. Make sure that you keep this goal in mind and do not go out of the way and spend your money. Remember, living in a camper with minimal luxuries is the only way out. At the same time, do not compromise on the basic living requirements and make sure you try to have a comfortable life by making the best of it.
Set aside a budget
Setting aside a budget is the first step that needs to be taken when you want to live in a camper to save money.
- Compare the rent you pay for accommodation along with the food and other expenses.
- Keep a monthly budget for your camping and make sure not to go beyond that budget if you want to save money.
- It is also advised to keep some extra bucks for maintaining your camper.
- Deciding what is important and what are your requirements will surely help you out.
- Keep in mind that space is a restriction in a camper.
- Purchasing extra items is not a good idea. Even clothes, shoes, and utensils must be limited to save more space.
- Consider how often you will be traveling and only purchase what is required.
Choosing the right campsites
- Once you have your budget set for the month, you will need to decide on a place to camp.
- Choosing the right campsite according to your budget is going to help you. Try to save as much as possible on the campsite. Some campsites allow you to camp for free, but that might be only for a limited period.
- The longer you choose to stay, the lesser the price. Planning to stay at a campsite for a year is going to be cheaper than a monthly tenure.
- Select campsites that offer basic facilities like electricity, water, etc.
- Pick a campsite that offers you a discount when you book your spot. Some campsites offer work-camping opportunities. This can help you save more money.
If you are looking on saving money then you are probably familiar with the term boondocking. This is one of the best ways to save money on camping fees. There are many boondocking spots where you get some of the basic features. The good news is that you can find these boondocking spots at your fingertips and a push of a button.
With the internet accessible to everyone, there are plenty of boondocking spots. Some of the websites are Booncokers Welcome, RV Trip Wizard, National Forest Dispersed Camping, and many more. These websites can help you book a spot in advance and they are good enough to camp for a while.
Maintain your camper by yourself
Maintaining a camper is not an easy task and many people are not able to do it on their own. Hiring a professional to get your camper maintained can cost you a lot. Try to understand the crucial parts of your camper that will need replacements from time to time. By doing the electrical work and cleaning on your own, you are bound to save money.
Cook your meals
People who want to save money living in a camper often cook their meals. Eating out can be expensive and eating at campsites are not always easy on the purse. Be sure to buy your groceries and cook your meals. This will help you save more than $1000 every month. The only cost will be the fuel that you use to cook. Eating at home is also healthy and better than eating out.
Choosing the right camper
Apart from all the above-mentioned tips, it is important to choose the right camper. Having the right camper for your budget and needs will help reduce the cost of living. Some campers have extraordinary amenities that might not be needed. Only get what you need to avoid spending on unnecessary things.
- Make sure of the services that are provided by campsites.
- Free campsites are the best way to save those extra bucks. Some campsites offer cheap laundry and some provide you options for having a shower.
- Select the right campsites that will suit you and always remember that you are living in a camper to save money.
- Avoid going to expensive campgrounds that charge you for extra activities. Some campsites have free activities and utilities that can be used.
- Most of all, try not to travel too much. Fuel can be expensive and the more to stay at a campsite, the more you are bound to save.
- Do not choose a huge rig since maintenance might be another issue.
Be sure to do enough research to know what you are going to get into. Camping is not going to be easy and you are required to follow the rules and regulations wherever you are. On the other hand, you need to be prepared to live with the basic living requirements. Living in a camper might not be as luxurious as living in a home for some people.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “Is it cheaper to live in a camper?” We have discussed the rules for living in a camper and discussed some tips for living in a camper to save money. We have also talked about choosing the right campsites, maintaining your rig, and choosing the right camper.