In this blog post, we will discuss: Is a Sprinter van worth it? We will tell you what we like about this van, but also discuss some common engine and performance problems of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van.
Is a Sprinter van worth it?
Yes, the Sprinter van is totally worth it, and here we explain why! The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van has one of the best designs and is loaded with features that make it worthwhile. Nonetheless, it is true that it is a more expensive option than some of the other full-size work vans that hit the market for the same model year. Why buy it then?
- One of the key features of this model is the movement of a large number of passengers or cargo. Thanks to this, Mercedes has assumed a leadership position in companies dedicated to the transport of people. It is of particular interest to large families and companies, such as personal or corporate transportation.
- The 2.2-litre engine and five-speed gearbox have proven to be reliable and viable options. It is worth noting that the equipment of the Mercedes, even in the basic version, often outperforms the luxury options of other manufacturers.
However, one should not think that the Mercedes Sprinter VAN is a passenger minibus and nothing more. For 18 years, the developers produced many cars that did not even have an all-metal wagon, but, nevertheless, they were also assigned to this class.
- Thanks to the 109 hp engine and a side door, the width of which is 1.2 m, the Sprinter has found application as a pure cargo van. A second large door, with hinged double doors behind, allows you to carry a variety of items.
If you agree to grant a cargo area, then an additional partition is installed in the cabin, and you have a Mercedes Classic Sprinter for passengers and cargo, where some people can sit in front (next to the driver’s sofa for 2 seats) and part of the cabin.
Is the new generation Sprinter van worth it?
We’ll go ahead and say that the new generations of Sprinter vans are more than worthy.
The diminishing glory of the Sprinter has forced developers to put off developing other vans several times. The Sprinter itself has gone through several major modifications, which make it possible to call them not the next update, but the new generation.
Mercedes Sprinter – engine problems and maintenance
In the following lines, I want to present some main problems that van drivers may encounter with the Mercedes Sprinter engine. The most common five problems with the Sprinter van are:
- Clogging of the oil filter will cause the oil to be removed from the engine.
- High pressure on the injection system is the most common problem with the Mercedes Sprinter. This can be noticed in advance when the injector gasket fails, and a softer noise is heard from under the hood.
- Engine wear – when it can no longer be repaired, it is not worth investing in it. Our dismantling fleet has the following Mercedes Sprinter engine models: 2.2 CDI – 2012 Euro 5, 2.2 CDI 2010 Euro 5, 2.2 CDI 2006 – 2010 Euro 4, 2.2 CDI 2013 Euro 5, 2.2 CDI 2009, 2.2 CDI 2006-2009, 2.2 CDI, 2.2 CDI 2006-2010, 2.2 CDI 2009-2014 Euro 5, 2.2 CDI 2000-2006.
- Cylinder head cracking – can occur in different circumstances. One of the most common cases in which this can happen is when the coolant (antifreeze) is not of high concentration.
Other questions you may be interested in
How to take care of the engine of a Sprinter Van
How to maintain the engine of a Mercedes Sprinter? Even if you are not a mechanic, there are a few things you can do on your own as a driver or van owner to maintain the engine.
- Periodic check of the oil level, engine and transmission in case of leaks, water level.
- Regular service: Change the oil filter at about 15,000 km, replace the fuel filter, the air filter and the pollen filter. Reset onboard service.
- Driving style – even if you maintain the van in an extraordinary way and make the necessary periodic checks, the way you drive can definitely influence the appearance of problems with the engine operation. I would like to list some unhealthy driving styles:
- Driving without waiting a few minutes for the engine to warm up
- Shifting gears at low or excessive speed
- Acceleration oscillation – you accelerate in a varied and discontinuous way
- Excessive load – exceeding the recommended capacity – frequently loads the van above the manufacturer’s recommended limit.
- Accidents – even if some drivers, mechanics, mechanical engineers, specialists believe that minor accidents do not affect the proper functioning of the engine, however, in the medium or long term, they can cause engine problems.
The involvement of the van in a major accident in which the engine is hit or shows some cracks or deformations is a completely different story. In such situations, it is recommended to check that engine very thoroughly.
Despite the fact that the first truck left the factory more than 20 years ago, the Mercedes Sprinter Van is still very popular nowadays. Taxi, indoor van, car for a large family – you can use it for a long time. And this version of the van deserves long years of release and life (with appropriate modifications, of course); after all, it is a Mercedes Classic Sprinter.
What do you think of the Sprinter Van? Is it worth it in your opinion? Please let us know if you have any tips, comments or questions.
What are the most reliable vans?
The most reliable vans are the Mercedes Sprinter, the Ford Transit, Volkswagen Transporter, Citroën Berlingo and the Renault Trafic.
How much does it cost to homologate a van?
The costs for homologating a van will be between $500 and $800, depending on the company and the engineer who approves it and if you need an electrical or gas certificate.
What is the best camper van?
The best camper van is the Volkswagen Transporter. The Transporter is a true ‘icon’ of the camper. The Volkswagen Transporter is probably the most popular. But, being among the best vans for the camper, and having this enormous popularity, it is one of the most difficult to find at a good price in the second-hand market.
How to homologate a van as a home?
In order to be approved as a camper or home, it is necessary to install at least the installation and legalization of a bed and a piece of furniture. With these two improvements, we can now convert the van to a home van although we usually carry out many more reforms to make the van as comfortable as possible.