In today’s blog post, we will answer the following question: Is a motorhome a good investment? We will discuss several important points why investing in a motorhome may be a good investment. We will also discuss whether buying a new or second-hand RV may be a better idea.
Is a motorhome a good investment?
All in all, motorhomes are a good investment if you can budget for one properly. You can rent it out to cover your maintenance costs or even self-finance it when you are not using it and enjoy it for a long time for your family vacation.
Investing in a new motorhome or a used motorhome is ultimately the choice that makes the difference.
Choosing between a new vehicle and a used vehicle depends on several parameters. The motives of motorhome operators are not always the same, but it is still possible to list the advantages and disadvantages of each option for information only.
Buying a new motorhome: what are the advantages and disadvantages?
- The main advantage of a new motorhome is that it has never been used before. For some, this element is very important since camping is a very personal asset. It is a great privilege to be the first person to sleep in a new vehicle. Plus, being straight out of the manufacturing plant, you can rest assured that there is no wear and tear on the components.
- In addition, buying a new motorhome will allow you to customize it to your liking. With a motorhome obtained for hire, no personal accommodation is possible. You will have to deal with the decoration, certainly old-fashioned, of the vehicle. With a new one, you can choose the color of the seats, the furniture and integrate the elements of your choice into the cockpit.
- However, the privilege granted by a new vehicle involves a substantial investment. You will have to count at least 40,000 $ for a standard model. Buying a motorhome is therefore an important decision that must be carefully considered. The purchase price of a new motorhome can be a big drag for some camping enthusiasts, especially those new to this world.
On top of that, once it is put into circulation, the motorhome continually loses value. So if you are not happy with the model you purchased, the difference between the transfer amount and the purchase amount will be quite significant.
In some cases, the experience of motorhome operators is bitter. We recommend that you take the time to think carefully before choosing the model of your new motorhome.
Good and bad reasons to invest in a used motorhome
- Financially, used motorhomes seem like a better deal than buying a new one. For example, you can get a good 5-year vehicle for around $ 20,000. It’s already half the price of a new vehicle, and you can use the difference to buy good quality equipment.
- Buying a second-hand motorhome also means meeting previous owners. This meeting gives rise to sharing anecdotes, but also specific advice on using the vehicle. You’ve heard it from other users and it’s well worth any sales pitches.
Renting is also a way to test different vehicle models to choose the one that best suits your needs. And it gets rid of the administrative concerns of running a motorhome.
- The main disadvantage of renting a motorhome is the wear and tear of certain parts. The cost of maintaining a motorhome can quickly add up to the price of renting a motorhome. To purchase a used motorhome, you must require a vehicle test. The outcome of some items can be felt while driving.
Buying a motorhome: what solutions to make your investment profitable?
Investing in a motorhome apart from the benefits of the trip represents a very lucrative source of income. Establishing a business with your vehicle will allow you to quickly amortize the cost of the purchase and enjoy the additional cash flow.
Renting your motorhome to individuals: the guarantee of rapid profitability
The motorhome rental service has some equally interesting advantages. In addition to the fact that it facilitates the acquisition of a good of great value (loan to the bank and payment of monthly instalments), the income drawn from the weeks of rental of the motorhome contributes to the costs of use and vehicle maintenance.
When it is well organized, renting your motorhome allows you to make your purchase profitable, to earn money and to meet many travellers, curious and sharing the same passion as you.
Several platforms allow you to estimate the cost of renting your recreational vehicle online. This allows you to see roughly how much you can earn from your camping. Renting a motorhome between individuals is a moment of exchange, sharing and an act of trust.
Depending on the type of model of your campervan (Class A/B/C, caravans, campervans, etc.) and its payload, you can earn between $ 80-100 per day. On average, you can expect an income of 565 $ / week.
When you rent your motorhome to individuals, you are the master. You decide on your schedule, the price of the deposit as well as the mileage limit. As the owner of the motorhome, it will nevertheless be necessary to consider planning some arrangements: central bed, twin beds, etc.
Make your motorhome investment profitable through travel
Investing in a motorhome is also a good investment option. This will mean making it available to travellers crossing the sea. The motorhome is a symbol of freedom and discovery.
This is an ideal purchase for those who want to go on a road trip. However, unfortunately, he cannot cross all borders. The motorhome that turns into a boat is not yet known to us, so for our friends who come from far away, renting is the only option.
Is now a good time to buy a motorhome?
Now may not be a good time to buy a motorhome. The best time to buy a motorhome is at the end of the tourist season and during clearance periods. This is the time when the supply is surplus and buyers have a wide choice of models and brands. For used vehicles, it is easier to negotiate the selling price.
Typically, the motorhome “season” begins in early to mid-spring (when the good weather returns) and ends in the fall, when the days get shorter and the weather gets cooler and wetter.
So, if you start your research at the beginning of November, you are more likely to find the rare pearl at a suitable price, for 2 main reasons:
- Motorhome enthusiasts who have spent the summer travelling may decide to change their vehicle to a newer or more comfortable model.
- Motorhome operators often decide to sell their motorhome at the end of summer to avoid having to pay for the wintering of their vehicle and then have it ready again in the spring.
Dealers can end up with vehicles on their hands, taken back as part of a sale of a new motorhome. And that vehicle is always parked in the parking lot and most of the time clutters them up more than anything else. They are then likely to grant attractive discounts. This is also an opportunity to take a look at new vehicles, by the way, some destocking promotions can be very interesting.
Before purchasing a motorhome, new or used, pass through this list
- Do you feel at home there?
Make sure the interior design matches your lifestyle. Is the bed big enough? Do the kitchen and dining area meet your needs? Are the cupboards sufficient? Are the windows placed where you want them? Can you comfortably use the bathroom? Can you sing in the shower stall?
- Spend the night in your RV
This is common in the RV industry and you shouldn’t be embarrassed to ask. When you spend the night there, try everything. Is this a dream come true?
- Bring a friend with you
If you know a seasoned RV enthusiast, ask them to come with you. Anyone who has been driving an RV for a few years will be familiar with the process.
- Check for leaks
If you buy a used RV, be aware that water leaks are a common problem. Check for large amounts of sealant around windows, corners, vents, and fittings. This presence is often due to water leaks.
- Have an inspection
Get a professional to take a quick look at the RV. Have it inspected by a qualified RV service dealer; it might spot problems you haven’t seen.
What would you add to the list? Let us know if you have any ideas, suggestions or questions about the content!
FAQ on Is a motorhome a good investment?
What do you have to take into account when buying a motorhome?
When buying a motorhome, you have to take into account so many things that it is best to involve each member of the family in the process. Give each person precise instructions. Do an eye check of the tires, electrical system, the condition of the furniture, etc.
How much does an RV cost?
RV costs depend on whether they are pre-owned, new, large, luxurious, simple, etc. However, an estimate (from a used one to a new luxury one) is between $ 15,000 USD to $ 100,000 USD.
What are the worst RV brands?
The following are considered the worst RV brands:
- Thor Hurricane.
- Forest River.
What to consider before buying a used RV?
Buying a used motorhome or RV is an option that many consider. Whether it is because of social isolation or the desire to explore life in nature in a more independent way, buying a used motor home opens up a new range of travel.