How to title a bus as an RV?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to title a bus as an RV?” We will describe the steps to title a bus as an RV and talk about all the essentials. We will also discuss some additional tips to remember for the documentation process and talk about meeting the RV criteria when converting a bus into an RV.
How to title a bus as an RV?
To title the bus as an RV, you can use the tips mentioned below:
- You will first need to take care of the documentation process
- You can then collect the correct receipts
- You can next, start the application process
- Finally, you can submit the proper documents
Take care of the documentation process
- The first and most important thing is to have your documents in place. Every vehicle is valid only if it is registered with the right documentation.
- The VIN of the converted bus is important.
- The next step will be to have the proof of insurance and the bus licence plates.
- Make sure you have a weight certificate of the bus showing the empty weight.
Collect the correct receipts while conversion
- Be sure to have all the receipts of the expenses that you paid while converting the bus. It is advised to make photocopies of these receipts for submission.
- Avoid small expenses like nuts, bolts, nails, etc.
- Focus on the interior and exterior expenses that you have spent while converting the bus. Expenses related to lumber and other appliances must be included in the list.
Start the application process
- There is an application process that needs to be followed while titling a bus as an RV. You are required to print out an application for a motorhome title. This can be downloaded online from the DMV state websites where you reside.
- You can also go directly to your local DMV office and collect the form.
- Make sure to fill in all the details correctly and submit the form.
Submit the proper documents
- Once you have all these documents in place including the expenses and other bills, you are required to submit the documents. The documents must be submitted along with the application to the DMV.
- You will also need the VIN and you must take the RV along.
- There will be an inspection of the RV to see if it has all the safety standards.
- In some cases, you might need to make a few changes or alterations to match the safety standards.
- A proper inspection will be conducted on the converted vehicle and you will be required to pay a fee to receive a new motorhome title in place of your bus title. In many states, you will receive a new licence plate.
- Once you have submitted all the documents, you will need to follow up on the process.
- Before going ahead with the process, make sure to find all the requirements from the DMV office. You can do this by calling up the office or checking their website. That said, the steps to title a bus as an RV are quite simple.
Titling a bus as an RV might not be as hard as you think it is. If you follow the right steps and procedures, you can title a bus as an RV with ease. You will need approval and also require to get some paperwork in place. The difficult part is converting a bus into an RV or motorhome. Once the conversion is complete, you can go ahead to title the bus as an RV.
Additional tips to remember when titling your bus as an RV
Contacting the DMV is an important step but you might also want to know the guidelines. It is also advised to capture some photographs while the converting process takes place. The DMV might ask for proof that you have converted the bus into an RV. Take enough pictures of the interior and the exterior and highlight all the modifications.
The DMV will also help you to understand what is required to convert a bus into an RV. The bus must meet the Department Of Transportation safety guidelines. You might need to take a long drive to make sure everything is in the right place. Enquire about the necessary documents and all the other requirements to abide by the safety guidelines.
You will need to meet the RV criteria
Remember that converting a bus into an RV is no easy task. Contact an expert to get the layout and fix all the amenities that are required for an RV. The DMV should be able to grant you the licence for a perfectly converted RV. The RV must have all the necessities for comfortable living and camping. Below is the list of things that need to be permanently installed during the conversion process.
- Proper functioning bathroom with facilities.
- Designated sleeping area with beds.
- Freshwater tank or connection to a shore water supply.
- Stove with fuel (electric or propane).
- Kitchen area to prepare food.
- Fully installed electric system to power all the appliances.
- Heater/air conditioner if required.
Apart from these, you will need to have black water and grey water tanks fixed and connected to the bathrooms. Make sure that the windows are placed well and modified accordingly. It is also essential to have the insurance policy sorted out ahead of time. There are insurance companies that handle converted bus RVs.
To start the insurance process you are required to have the VIN of the bus along with the make, model, and year. Know the measurements of the bus in terms of length, width, and height. It is also good to know the interior measurements for the same. You will also need an address for your motorhome and where it will be parked.
You might need additional documents
- A few additional documents are required to make sure that the converted bus meets the following requirements. These documents are important for new registration.
- You will need the current tile for the bus. This is the whole point of conversion and this is one of the first things that you must have in place.
Provide the bill of sale
- The bill of sale is equally important as you need to have the purchase receipt that includes all the other details.
- The purchase receipt should have the VIN, the make, model, and year of manufacture of the bus.
- The price and the purchase date should also be mentioned in the bill of sale. Additionally, you will need to buyer’s name and the address.
Don’t forget your driver’s licence
- The next important thing is the driver’s licence. This requirement is based on your state and you will need to have the right driver’s licence accordingly.
- Some states will need a commercial driver’s licence if your bus weighs more than 26,000 pounds.
- Try to keep your vehicle light but do not compromise on the necessities.
Submit the weight ticket of the bus
- The weight ticket of the bus is equally important and you are required to submit a certified weight ticket. In some states, you are allowed to weigh the vehicle at a truck stop, but some states will require you to bring in the official weight certificate.
- To be on the safer side, it is recommended to carry a weight certificate along with you at all times.
- Ensure to take photocopies of all the documents including the insurance and the other conversion documents.
- Maintain a file with all the documents and keep it in order so you can submit them when asked.
- Apart from those, be sure to focus on the conversion process. Converting a bus into an RV requires time and quality work.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to title a bus as an RV?” We have described the steps to title a bus as an RV and talked about all the essentials that are required. We will also discuss some additional tips to remember for the documentation process and talk about meeting the RV criteria when converting a bus into an RV.