How to restore a Safari campervan?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to restore a Safari campervan? We will discuss the steps from scratch to successfully restore a Safari campervan. We will talk about the essential components that need to be replaced. At the end of this post, you will learn how to restore a Safari campervan on your own.
How to restore a Safari campervan?
To restore a Safari campervan, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Evaluate the condition of the van
- Create a restoration plan
- Clean the interior and exterior
- Repair the damaged areas
- Replace the worn-out parts
- Change the tires
- Refurbish the interior
- Paint the campervan
Evaluate the condition of the van
- First, you need to evaluate the condition of the campervan. You must understand the current condition by identifying the damaged areas and appliances.
- Check the entire body and structure of the Safari campervan. Take a close look at the roof, walls, and floor. Check if the windows and doors and functioning properly.
- It is important to make a note of all the areas that are damaged. Keep a notebook and pen handy to write down the damaged areas. Make a note of any missing accessories and parts that can be repaired. It is also important to note all the accessories that need to be replaced.
- The most important step is to check the engine, battery, fuse blocks, switches, filters, wiring, lights, gearbox, etc. Ensure to cover all the crucial components and check if they are in good condition.
- By evaluating the condition of the campervan, the entire process can be simplified and completed faster. This will give you a better idea of what needs to be done, and it will also give you an idea of the required materials for this project.
Create a restoration plan
- Next, you need to create a restoration plan. Having a timeline while working on a restoration project is always good. Based on the campervan’s requirements and conditions, you can determine the budget.
- Set aside a list of tasks that need to be completed and develop a restoration plan. Break the project into smaller tasks to make it easier. You can also set multiple deadlines and monitor your progress.
Clean the interior and exterior
- Once you have everything in place, you can start working on the project. Before doing anything, you must first clean the interior and exterior. Make sure to clean the Safari campervan thoroughly. Get rid of all the dirt, debris, mold, and other components on the interior.
- You can use a power washer for the interiors or soap or water to remove all the dirt. There are specific cleaners used for this purpose. These cleaners will help to get rid of rust and stains.
- Once you are done cleaning the interiors, removing all the components that need to be replaced is advised. Get rid of all the appliances or components that are broken or cannot be used.
- For the exterior, you can use the same power washer to get rid of all the unwanted dirt and other components. Spray the exterior of the campervan with enough water and ensure to check all the corners and edges. You may find extra dirt on the windows and doors on the outside.
Repair the damaged areas
- The next step is to repair the damaged areas. Refer to the restoration plan you created before and start repairing all the damaged areas. For example, if the roof has a crack, you can use RV sealant to fix it.
- Start by repairing the body of the Safari campervan. This includes fixing the dents, holes, and rust. You can use a campervan body filler to cover all the areas and sandpaper to get rid of the rust.
- Repairing the damaged areas of a campervan can be time-consuming, but it also depends on the vehicle’s current condition.
- Try to restore all the damaged areas to their original condition. Start by working on the interiors and ensure that all the small components are repaired thoroughly.
- If the engine needs repairs, this is where you need to get it fixed. Double-check the crucial parts once again and repair all the damaged ones.
- Restore the exterior of the Safari campervan to its original condition if possible. Make sure that all the dents and cracks on the outside are repaired. Repair the windows and doors if necessary. The repairing process applies to all the components in the campervan.
Replace the worn-out parts
- Next, you need to replace the parts that are worn out or beyond repair. Get rid of the old parts and replace them with new ones. This is also applicable to all the electrical appliances in the campervan.
- It is always good to replace the brakes, even if they are in working condition. Replace the suspension if necessary.
- Electric wires are one of the most important areas that need to be replaced. Get rid of the old wiring and replace them with new ones. Purchase high-quality wires and replace the old switches with new ones.
- Replace the engine parts, air filters, lights, and other accessories if needed. The whole idea of this step is to replace parts that are not in working condition or cannot be repaired. By replacing all the worn-out parts, you will be able to get the campervan on the road again.
Change the tires
- The tires of a campervan are crucial, and it has to be changed at any cost. Get a couple of off-road tires since they are bound to last longer than the usual ones.
- Replace all the tires of the campervan, including the front and rear. After this step, you should be able to take the Safari campervan on the road for a drive without any issues.
Refurbish the interior
- This is the most interesting step since you get to refurbish the interior of the campervan according to your preference and taste. Add a couple of appliances that you feel are required while camping. You can also upgrade the appliances and fixtures of the van.
- Add a new refrigerator, stove, cassette toilet, bedding, tabletop, sink, taps, etc. Feel free to experiment and make the campervan comfortable as per your likes and dislikes. You can choose to add a window AC unit or a rooftop AC unit. Add a portable heater if you plan on camping during winter.
- Replace any damaged upholstery if necessary, and feel free to add a carpet on the floor. Add curtains to give your campervan a good appearance. Add a couple of cushions to the bed, and make sure to go free on decorating the Safari campervan.
- The appliances are important, and it is always good to refurbish the campervan with new appliances, especially if they are electronic. Upgrading the old appliances to new ones is always a better option.
Paint the campervan
- Finally, you can paint the campervan according to your style and taste. Once the repairs, replacements, and refurbishments are complete, you can give your Safari campervan a good paint job. You can also add a combination of colors to the campervan based on your preference.
Restoring a Safari campervan is an interesting project and the above-mentioned steps will help you complete this task comfortably. You can also get in touch with an experienced professional to help you out with this project. Decide on the budget and stick to what is important before restoring a Safari campervan.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to restore a Safari campervan? We have discussed the steps from scratch to restore a Safari campervan successfully. We have talked about the essential components that need to be replaced.