How to replace the carpet in an RV slide-out?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to replace the carpet in an RV slide-out?” We will discuss the simplest steps to successfully replace the carpet in an RV slide-out. We will talk about the required tools and materials for this project. At the end of this post, you will learn to replace the carpet in an RV slide-out in less than a week.
How to replace the carpet in an RV slide-out?
To replace the carpet in an RV slide-out, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Extend the slide out
- Remove the furniture
- Prepare the slide-out area
- Measure the area
- Cut the new carpet
- Apply the adhesive
- Fix the new carpet
- Trim the excess carpet
- Secure the edges
- Reinstall the furniture and obstacles
Extend the slide out
- First, you must extend the slide out to start this project. Replacing a carpet in an RV slide-out is easy and it can be completed in just a couple of days. You might require help from another person to complete this project.
- It is not essential to keep the slide-outs extended through the entire process. However, it’s good to keep them out since it provides enough space to work.
Remove the furniture
- Next, you must remove the furniture that is screwed or bolted down in the slide-outs. The most important step is to make a note of what you remove first. Take pictures or make notes of what you have removed and continue to replace them in the same manner.
- Most of the carpeted slide-outs have tables, chairs, and couches. Hence, you will be required to remove all the furniture that is fixed or connected to the RV slide-out. There is no need to worry about the kitchen appliances since they are separate and are not attached to the slide-out.
Prepare the slide-out area
- Next, you need to start preparing the slide-out area. Start preparing the slide-out area to replace the carpet. Get rid of all the obstacles including the staples or residues from adhesive. Use a pry bar or plyers to remove the existing carpet.
- Remember the existing carpet can be well secured. It is essential to use a sharp tool to remove the carpet. Get help from a professional if you are unable to work on this project alone.
Measure the area
- Once you have removed the existing carpet, you need to measure the area. Use a measuring tape to measure the dimensions of the slide-out accurately. Make a note of the dimensions as you go. It is also advised to note down a few more inches than the accurate dimensions.
Cut the new carpet
- Next, you need to cut the new carpet as per the dimensions that you measured. The carpet has to be a perfect fit but you can also trim the extra edges if there is extra space. Just be sure that the carpet is not too short from the required dimensions.
Apply the adhesive
- After cutting the carpet as per the dimensions, you can go ahead and start applying the adhesive. Most people use adhesive to stick their carpet while some use carpet tape. There are plenty of options when it comes to carpet tape. The most common type is double-sided carpet tape.
- When applying the adhesive, ensure to spread it out evenly. Work is small sections since it is easier and it also prevents the adhesive from drying. It is also essential to follow the instructions described on the adhesive.
- Remember to prepare the slide-out floor before applying the adhesive. The floor has to be smooth and even. Get rid of the dust, debris, and other obstacles.
Fix the new carpet
- After applying the adhesive, you can start laying out the new carpet. Carefully apply the new carpet onto the adhesive. Start working your way from one end to the other. Carefully fix the new carpet to the adhesive and apply pressure while placing them.
- The carpet has to stick firmly to the adhesive. With the help of a carpet roller, you can secure the carpet properly onto the adhesive. Ensure to smooth out the bubbles and get rid of any wrinkles if there are any.
- The most important step is to ensure that the carpet is laid out in the right manner. Work your way through until you have fixed the entire carpet on the RV slide-out.
Trim the excess carpet
- Once you have replaced the carpet in the RV slide-out, you go ahead and trim the excess carpet. Get rid of the extra carpet by trimming them around the edges. With the help of a utility knife, you can go ahead and start the trimming process.
- Remember, you must be precise when it comes to trimming the excess carpet from the slide-out area.
Secure the edges
- Next, you need to secure the edges of the carpet area to prevent them from lifting. When using adhesive, you will need to place a heavy object to hold down the edges as the adhesive sets. For carpet tape, you can add some extra support or weight on top. Wait for the adhesive to set and the carpet to stick properly onto the adhesive.
Reinstall the furniture and obstacles
- Next, you must reinstall the furniture that you removed previously. Wait for the carpet to set properly since it can take a day or two. Once the carpet is secured in place, you can go ahead and start reinstalling the furniture and the other obstacles if there were any.
Be sure to refer to the pictures or the notes that you have created in the beginning. Make sure to maintain the carpet after the installation. Avoid using harsh chemicals on the carpet. While working with adhesives, ensure that there is enough ventilation in the RV. Wear safety gear such as gloves, goggles, and a mask.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to replace the carpet in an RV slide-out?” We have discussed the simplest steps to successfully replace the carpet in an RV slide-out. We have talked about the required tools and materials for this project.