How to replace an anode rod in an RV water heater?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to replace an anode rod in an RV water heater?” We will discuss the simplest steps to install an anode rod in an RV water heater. Additionally, we will discuss the materials and tools that are required for this project. At the end of this post, you will learn to replace an anode rod in an RV water heater in less than an hour.
How to replace an anode rod in an RV water heater?
To replace an anode rod in an RV water heater, you must follow the steps described below.
- Turn off the water heater
- Locate the anode rod
- Drain the water heater
- Remove the old anode rod
- Inspect the old anode rod
- Prepare the new anode rod
- Install the new anode rod
- Refill the water heater
- Turn on the power
- Test the water heater
Turn off the water heater
- The first step is to turn off the water heater before getting to work. Wait for the water heater to cool down after turning it off. In case the water heater is connected to the RV’s electricity, it is recommended to cut the RV’s shore power or turn off the entire electric system.
- In the case of a propane water heater, you must cut the propane supply. It is also advised to inform another person at home when working on this project. Inform everyone at home not to turn on the power or the propane line in the RV.
Locate the anode rod
- Next, you need to locate the anode rod in the water heater. The anode rod is located in the water heater tank and can be found when looking for the hexagonal head.
- Look for a hexagonal head that protrudes from the top of the tank. In some cases, this hexagonal head might be covered with a plastic cap. Look for a plastic cap to locate the hexagonal head.
Drain the water heater
- The next step is to drain the water heater. Find a hot water tap in the RV and open the tap to get rid of the pressure in the water heater.
- Next, you need to locate and open the drain valve on the water heater to get rid of the water from the tank. This will help to prevent the water from gushing out while removing the anode rod. Double-check and make sure that there is no water in the heater.
Remove the old anode rod
- After draining the water from the heater, you can remove the old anode rod. With the help of a socket wrench, you can remove the old anode rod. Turn the anode rod counterclockwise with the help of the wrench.
- The anode rod can be stuck, especially if you are removing it for the first time. Use a set of pliers to provide extra leverage if the rod is stuck.
- Note, there might be a little water inside if the anode rod is stuck. Be prepared for some water to come out of the anode rod.
Inspect the old anode rod
- After removing the old anode rod, you can go ahead and inspect it to see if there is any damage. If the old anode rod is damaged with rust or eroded, you must replace it with a new one.
Prepare the new anode rod
- Before the installation process, you must prepare the new anode rod by wrapping Teflon tape to the threads. You can also add pipe sealant instead of Teflon tape to the new anode rod. The tape and sealant will help to prevent leaks by creating a tight seal.
Install the new anode rod
- The next step is to install the new anode rod. You must insert the new anode rod into the water heater tank opening.
- Remember to turn the rod clockwise with your hand until it is tight. Use a wrench to secure it further. Do not overtighten the anode rod since it can cause damage to the threads. At the same time, it is important to secure the anode rod and ensure that it is firm.
Refill the water heater
- Next, you can refill the water heater. Close the drain valve and ensure to close all the other hot water taps if they are open. Turn on the water supply to the RV and wait for the water heater tank to fill.
Turn on the power
- After filling the water heater, you can turn on the power. Restore the power by switching on the electric system. In the case of a propane system, you can turn on the propane power supply.
Test the water heater
- Finally, it’s time to test the water heater. Check if the water heater is functioning properly on the electric or propane system.
- The anode rod is an important component in the RV water heater. It is essential to maintain the water heater and check it regularly. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and safety precautions while working on the RV water heater. Get help from a professional if you are not comfortable working on this process alone.
Materials needed to replace an anode rod in an RV water heater
There are not many materials required to install an anode rod in an RV water heater. However, the following materials and tools and essential. Ensure to purchase the right type and size of the anode rod. The anode rod has to be a perfect fit for the water heater.
- New anode rod
- Socket wrench or open-end wrench
- Teflon tape or pipe thread sealant
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to replace an anode rod in an RV water heater?” We have discussed the simplest steps to install an anode rod in an RV water heater. Additionally, we have discussed the materials and tools that are required for this project.