How to renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome?” We will discuss the various steps to renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome successfully. We will touch upon the crucial components that need to be replaced. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome on your own.
How to renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome?
To renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Evaluate the current condition
- Create a plan
- Remove unwanted items
- Clean the interiors and exterior
- Repair all broken items
- Replace damaged items
- Redo the wiring
- Upgrade the interior
- Paint the motorhome
Evaluate the current condition
- The first and most important step is to evaluate the current condition of the 1987 Ford motorhome. Remember that the motorhome is old, and it can be challenging to find certain components.
- Evaluating the motorhome’s condition is important to understand this project’s requirements. First, you must check all the crucial parts, including the engine, transmission, and other mechanical or functional components. Check the filters, oil heads, seals, and everything that helps the motorhome to run successfully.
- Next, you need to look at the overall structure and body of the motorhome. Check the interiors for any damage or huge repairs. Check the roof, walls, and floor of the motorhome. Look for cracks, holes, or any other serious damage.
- Check the windows, doors, mirrors, glass, and all the other facilities inside. Keep a notebook and a pen handy to note down all the components that need to be replaced.
- Make a separate note of all the areas that can be repaired. This is where you get to understand the situation of the motorhome and help you determine the requirements.
Create a plan
- The next step is to create a plan to renovate the 1987 Ford motorhome. Based on the requirements, you can determine the budget for this project. Develop a renovation plan and create a timeline to complete this project.
- Break down the project and simplify it into smaller tasks to make it easy. Make a note of all the items that need to be repaired and replaced.
- Be sure to enquire about the components that you need to purchase. This might be challenging as some components might be out of stock. Try to replace the missing items with similar ones as long as it gets the job completed. Once you have a plan in place, you can start working on the renovation process.
Remove unwanted items
- Next, you need to eliminate all the unwanted items in the 1987 Ford motorhome. Remove all the items that need to be replaced, including the furniture, appliances, and other mechanisms.
- Be sure to retain the items that can be repaired or used. The goal is to get rid of everything in the motorhome that is beyond repair.
Clean the interiors and exterior
- Once you remove all the unwanted items, you can start cleaning. Start by cleaning the interior of the motorhome. Get rid of the dust, debris, and rust on the inside. Use a power washer to force out all the mold and grime.
- Use a cleaning liquid to wash the entire interior of the 1987 Ford motorhome. You can also use soap and water to remove all the dirt. There is a specific cleaning liquid that is sold for this purpose.
- Repeat the same process for the exterior. Make sure to spray off all the dirt on the motorhome’s exterior. A power washer is sure to help in the cleaning process.
Repair all broken items
- Refer to the renovation plan you created to repair all the broken items. Repair and maintain all the items can are broken. These items can be anything from the smallest to the biggest.
- For example, if the storage shelves can be repaired, complete it in this step. All the items that can be repaired must be completed in this step.
- Repair and seal all cracks or holes on the motorhome’s body, if there are any. Use RV sealant to remove the cracks and holes on the roof. Get rid of all the dents in the body of the motorhome and repair all the other components like the windows, doors, etc.
Replace damaged items
- After repairing all the broken items, it’s time to replace the ones beyond repair. Replace all the appliances that cannot be repaired. The same goes for the furniture and all the other interior objects.
- It is also advised to replace the parts that help the engine function. Get rid of the old air filter and replace it with a new one. These crucial components must be replaced since they cannot be repaired.
- Replacing the motorhome’s tires is also important, irrespective of the condition. The tires are extremely important, and it is not wise to use tires from 1987. Replace all the old components in the motorhome, especially the ones that are crucial. Check the lights and replace the ones that are not working.
Redo the wiring
- The next step is to redo the wiring of the motorhome. Electrical wiring needs to be replaced even if they are still working. This is because the wiring is old and it can be troublesome while driving on the road. Get rid of the entire wiring and install new wires.
- Replace the switches if necessary, and make sure to use thick enough wires. The same goes for the plumbing and pipelines. Double-check the pipes for any leaks, and make sure to look for any damage along the way. Get rid of pipes that are brittle and add new ones.
Upgrade the interior
- It’s time to upgrade the interior of the 1987 Ford motorhome. This is where you get to be creative and add what your motorhome requires. Be sure to focus on the essentials first.
- Upgrade the old appliances to new ones. Install new flooring if required and add a new carpet to the floor. Get rid of the old upholstery and upgrade to a new one. Check the storage options and replace them with new shelves. Personalize the motorhome as per your preference.
- You can also reconfigure the layout to suit your needs. Ensure to make everything is comfortable. Upgrade the old bedding to a new one. Add new cushions and curtains to enhance the appearance of the motorhome.
- Chance the dinette to a new one and add extra cabinets. Get rid of the old stove and change the water tanks. Replace the refrigerator and microwave if required. Add a window or rooftop air-conditioning unit. This entirely depends on personal preference and taste.
Paint the motorhome
- The next step is to move onto the exterior. You will need to give your motorhome a new coat of paint. The 1987 Ford motorhome has a unique design. Hence, you can easily play with several colors and bring out something unique.
- Make sure to sand the entire motorhome before painting. Use a combination of colors, but it’s always good to stick to light colors. Give your motorhome a coat of primer, and then start to paint it. Add a couple of coats to get the color that you desire.
- Renovating a 1987 Ford motorhome is an interesting project that can be achieved easily with the above-mentioned steps. Make sure to create a plan right from the start and stick to it. This is a time-consuming project and it can easily take up to a month. You can also contact an expert to help you get this task complete.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome?” We have discussed the various steps to renovate a 1987 Ford motorhome successfully. We have touched upon the crucial components that need to be replaced.