How to refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper?” We will discuss the steps to refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper. We will also discuss the procedures and the essentials that need to be retained or replaced in this project.
How to refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper?
To refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Remove the canvas
- Clean out the interiors
- Redo the flooring and walls
- Fix new cabinets
- Replace the sink
- Add a new stove
- Replace the old connections
- Install a new bed
- Paint the furniture
- Change the tires
- Add new canvas
- Add new curtains and cushion covers
- Paint the camper.
Remove the canvas
- The 1976 Starcraft popup camper has an extended canvas on the sides. You will need to remove the canvas on the camper first and later replace it with a new one. Remove the nets that come along with the canvas as well.
Clean out the interiors
- Now that you have the canvas out of the way, you can easily work with the frame. The next step is to clean out the interiors. Remove all the materials that are broken or cannot be used, and keep the ones that can be repaired.
- Take away all the unwanted and old items and use soap, water, or water pressure to get rid of all the dirt, rust, grime, etc. Take your time and scrub the walls, roof, cabinets, and dinette. It camper should be clean on the inside.
Redo the flooring and walls
- You must redo the flooring and walls to refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper. It is also important to check the camper’s roof and ensure it is in perfect condition. Add sealant to the roof if there are any cracks or leaks. Check the corners thoroughly if there is any damage.
- After checking the roof, you will need to redo the walls and keep the floor for the last. There are no full-fledged walls in the 1976 Starcraft popup camper. Hence, you must redo the exposed area at the camper’s bottom half.
- The easiest way is to paint the walls or use a stain to give them a good look. However, if they are in bad condition, you must replace the sheets or panels.
Fix new cabinets
- Next, you need to install new cabinets, especially if the cabinets are damaged. With the help of plywood, you can go ahead and install new cabinets, or you can simply choose to refurbish the existing cabinets.
- Since this is a popup camper, there is no need to worry about overhead cabinets. The cabinets in the 1976 Starcrafter camper are below the kitchen and dining area. Work on the cabinets as you have worked on the walls. Fix new cabinet handles to replace the old or broken ones.
Replace the sink
- The kitchen area is small in the 1976 Starcraft popup camper. Make good use of the kitchen area. Replace the sink since you don’t want to be carrying around a sink from 1976. Get a sink to match the previous one and install it.
Add a new stove
- You can either add a new stove or refurbish the old one. This depends on the condition and burners of the stove. Check to see if the burners are working well. If the burners are not in good condition, opting for a better stove is advised. Stick to the dimensions of the old stove because you need to make good use of the space.
Replace the old connections
- The old connections need to be replaced since this is a vintage camper. Change the electrical wires and replace all the switches with new ones. You must change the conduits, boards, and everything related to the electrical connections.
- It is also important to change the interior lights in the camper. Add a couple of decorative lights to make your camper look more beautiful.
Install a new bed
- The bed of your camper is what keeps you comfortable and gives you a good night’s sleep. You can install a new bed to make it more comfortable. Get a customized mattress to replace the old one. Ensure that the dimensions are right. Avoid installing a mattress that is too big or too thick.
Paint the furniture
- It’s time to give the camper a personal touch and enhance the overall appearance of the interiors. Paint the furniture of the camper to give it a beautiful look. Choose bright colors and stick to a theme if necessary.
- The 196 Starcraft camper has low walls, and most are not exposed. Hence, the furniture is what makes up the camper on the inside.
Change the tires
- Camper tires are sure to be old, and avoid using the same tires even if they were not used for the last five years. There are only two tires for the 1976 Starcraft camper. Make sure to get good ones that are designed for rough terrain.
Add new canvas
- The next step is to add a new canvas. Be sure to get the canvas that matches the camper. Note you might not get the accurate size, and you will need to get a customized one. You can also work on the old canvas if it’s still good enough. Add new nets for the sides, and make sure to get them in line with the camper.
- You can easily build a customized canvas according to the frame and the extended frame of the 1976 Starcraft popup camper. Check the camper’s extension rods and ensure they are in good condition when opened up.
Add new curtains and cushion covers
- Add new curtains for the inside of the camper along the netted area. Curtains will help keep the heat out, and they will also add to the appearance of the camper. Add new cushion covers to suit the mattress or the color of the camper.
Paint the camper
- Finally, you will need to give your camper a good painting on the outside. You can experiment with colors and paint the camper according to your liking. Use a couple of color combinations while painting to bring out some contrast.
Refurbishing a Starcraft popup camper can be an interesting task. Be sure to decorate the camper as much as possible inside to give it a good appearance. The interior of the 1976 Starcraft popup camper matters the most. Be sure to remove the old stuff and install new items, including the appliances, to refurbish the 1976 Starcraft popup camper.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper?” We have discussed the steps in detail to refurbish a 1976 Starcraft popup camper. We have also talked about the procedures and the essentials that need to be retained or replaced in this project.