How to install entrance steps in an RV?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to install entrance steps in an RV?” We will describe the process to install entrance steps in an RV. We will also describe the best entrance steps for an RV. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to install entrance steps in an RV.
How to install entrance steps in an RV?
To install entrance steps in an RV, you will need to follow the directions mentioned below.
- Measure the entrance
- Ensure that the RV is level
- Clear the area
- Remove the transition strip
- Purchase solid steps to match the RV
- Elevate your vehicle
- Fix the top part of the steps
- Lock the RV step
- Check the clearance
Measure the entrance
- The first step will be to measure the entrance of the RV. You will be required to measure the width of the entrance.
- You will also need to measure the diagonal length of your existing steps from the crossbar to the bottom.
- If you do not have steps in your RV, you can skip the diagonal measurement part.
- The second and most important part is to measure the height. You will need to measure the distance from the ground to the threshold.
Ensure that the RV is level
- Your RV must be parked in a proper place where there are no ups and downs. Be sure to keep your RV level. You can do this by parking your vehicle on a platform.
- If you are unable to park your RV on a platform, just make sure that the RV wheels are all level. This will also help you to get the measurements right and install the steps with ease.
Clear the area
- Next, you will need to clear the area. Make sure that there is nothing on the threshold of your RV.
- Clear the place and remove any dirt and other unnecessary things if there are any. Your RV entrance must be clean and clear of everything before installing the steps.
- If you are replacing your steps, be sure to remove the old steps properly.
Remove the transition strip
- Be sure to remove the transition strip that is located between the floor and the door threshold. You will need to remove the transition strip to install the steps.
Purchase the steps to match your RV
- Based on your measurements and your RV model, you can go ahead and purchase the steps. There are different types of RV steps to choose from.
- Just ensure that the measurements match while purchasing them. The most common type of RV steps is the manual RV steps and automatic RV steps.
- The Manual RV steps work manually and are versatile. These RV steps have a small ladder that has hinges.
- The biggest advantage of manual steps is that you get to remove or add steps whenever necessary. These steps are usually fixed to the RV by being framed, welded, or bolted. You will need to fold them up and down whenever required.
- Automatic steps are the opposite just as the name implies. There is no need to touch these automatic steps as they can function with a push of a button.
- Some of the automatic RV steps are known as electric RV steps. These steps usually have an inbuilt electric step motor that is connected to the RV doors. Once the RV doors open, the steps automatically unfold. Be sure to choose the right step that matches your preference.
Elevate your RV
- Be sure to elevate your RV when you are starting the installation process. You can do this by just adding a couple of wooden planks on four sides.
- Make sure that the planks are at least a minimum of two inches high. Place the planks just before each wheel of the RV. Move the RV on the planks so you will have some elevated space to fix the step.
Fix the top part of the steps
- If you have a bolt-on step, you can go ahead and fix the top part of the step to the RV threshold. Most solid RV steps are easy to install. Just be sure that the top part of the step is fixed correctly to the entrance without damage.
- You will need to use the bolts that arrive with the steps. It is also important to read the manual that comes along with the RV steps for the installation process.
- If you are unable to fix the steps on your own, hire a professional to get the task complete. Installing RV steps can be done in less than a day.
Lock the RV step
- Once you have the top part secured and the bolts on, be sure that the step is locked correctly. Lock the step into place and use the latches to properly connect to the door jamb.
Check the clearance
- The last and most important part is to check the clearance. Be sure to have proper clearance between the doors.
- The RV step is installed in the middle of the door opening. Hence, there should be a minimum clearance of 1/8 inches on each side. Lower the steps and check for ground clearance.
- Check if the door shuts and opens properly after installing the steps.
Best entrance steps for an RV
There are different types of steps for an RV including the most common which are manual and automatic. There are also solid plastic box steps, folding RV steps, and porch-style steps. Apart from the types of steps that are used, there are reputed RV steps that are known to last long as they come with top quality and features. Here are some of the best RV steps described below.
Stromberg Carlson EHS
- These steps are safe and they arrive with a handrail. The good news is that the handrail is interchangeable and they can be installed on either side according to your preference. The top platform of the RV acts as the first step since the Stromberg Carlson EHS has two steps.
Stromberg Carlson SMFP Manual Steps
- As the name suggests, these are manual steps but they are sturdy and durable. The biggest advantage of these steps is that they can hold up to 250 pounds.
- These steps are easy to install and they arrive with the most basic tools. Another advantage is that you can easily unfold these steps under the door when not in use.
- The Mor/Ryde Step is one of the recognized brands and is built for durability and stability. These steps have an easy installation process.
- It also arrives with a handle that can be operated to securely fold them. They are waterproof stairs and there is no need to worry about rain.
Camco Aluminum steps
- The Camco aluminum platform steps are sturdy and are built to last for a long period. These RV steps are heavy-duty steps as they can support up to 1,000 pounds.
- The biggest advantage is that they are still lightweight and they can be adjustable accordingly. Once folded down, these steps are only three inches high. It also has a non-slip rubber covering for safety.
Ollieroo folding steel steps
- These are folding steel steps which are portable and easy to install. It also comes with anti-slip features and it is perfect for all climatic conditions including snowy and rainy weather.
- The Ollieroo is lightweight. These steps can carry up to 330 pounds. Setting up these steps is easy and they can be carried around anywhere. They are also cost-effective steps.
Installing entrance steps for an RV is easy if you follow the right steps. You can install RV steps on your own and it can be done in less than a day. The most important part is getting the right type of steps. Double check with your RV manual and read the installation steps to avoid any confusion. Never hesitate to contact an expert to get this job complete.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to install entrance steps in an RV?” We have described the process to install entrance steps in an RV. We have also described the best entrance steps for an RV. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to install entrance steps in an RV.