In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to install cabinets in a horse trailer?” We will describe the steps to install cabinets in a horse trailer and also discuss how to build roof cabinets for a horse trailer. Additionally, we will list out the materials that are required for building a trailer cabinet.
How to install cabinets in a horse trailer?
To install cabinets in a horse trailer, you will need to follow the steps described below.
- Decide where you want to build the cabinets
- Clean the walls and the surrounding area
- Measure the walls of the trailer and decide the size of your cabinets
- Finalize what type of cabinets you need
- Purchase all the required materials to begin the installation process
Select the right place
Before going ahead with the installation process, you must select the right place to install your cabinets. You will also need to finalize if you are fixing the cabinets on the floor or from the roof. Selecting the right place for your cabinets will determine the next steps that you need to install them successfully.
Clean the walls
- The next step is to clean the walls and the area where you plan on installing the cabinets.
- Be sure to remove all dirt, dust, and any mold if there is any. It is also important to repair the area if there are any damages.
- Use cleaning liquid and make sure that the walls of the horse trailer are level so there will not be any issues while installing the cabinets.
Measure the trailer walls
- You will need to measure the walls of the trailer where you plan on fixing the cabinets. By measuring the walls you will get to know how much space you have to install the cabinets.
- Be sure to construct the cabinets symmetrically to give your trailer a good appearance. Unlike motorhomes, horse trailers have space restrictions. Hence, it is always good to plan.
Finalize the type of cabinets
There are various types of cabinets that can be installed in a horse trailer. However, wood is the most preferred type that is used widely. It is also important to know what you plan on storing inside the cabinets. Some cabinets have a glass at the front while some are made up of only wood. Be sure to finalize the right type.
Build the framework
- The next step is to build the framework of the cabinets. To do this you will need to have a wooden frame in place.
- You can use 2 x 2-inch boards to build the frames for your cabinets.
- Once you have the framework laid out, you can secure the boards with decking screws and keep everything sturdy.
- Be sure to add bolts on the cabinets to keep them shut while traveling.
Fix the cabinet doors
One of the best things to do is to add self-closing hinges on the cabinet doors. This will keep your cabinet doors closed at all times even when your horse trailer is on the move. Fixing magnetic closures is easy and they are not too expensive. If you are unable to build a cabinet on your own, get in touch with a professional to do the job.
How to build roof cabinets for a horse trailer?
Roof cabinets are the type of cabinets that are attached to the roof. These cabinets are built with support from the roof and the walls of the trailer. To build roof cabinets for a horse trailer, you will need to follow the steps described below.
Decide the dimensions of the cabinet
Before building a roof cabinet you will need to decide on the dimensions of the cabinet. Your cabinet will begin from the roof so be sure to extend the cabinet for at least two feet. If you are limited with space, then you might need to consider building small cabinets. Ensure that there is enough space and avoid building large cabinets.
Build a wooden frame
- When building a wooden frame be sure to stick to the dimensions that you have decided on.
- Get the right reapers and paint them to match your trailer.
- Build only the frame and keep the four sides open since you need to add the cabinets and plywood for the bottom.
- You will need to build sets of rectangular frames and screw them together in the shape of a box.
- The standard shape is 12 inches tall, and 14 inches wide, and the length can be 52 inches long.
- You can also add some support at the top and bottom to mount the cabinets to the ceiling. The support at the bottom will provide additional attachment points for the plywood.
- You will need to create some face frames that will be fixed on the front of the cabinet. This will provide an area for the cabinet doors to mount and it will also give the cabinet units a clean appearance.
- Building the cabinet doors might be the most difficult part since you need to get the measurements right. Be sure to keep a provision on the doors to fix the hinges.
Attach the frame to the roof
- Once you finish the rectangular frame, you will need to secure them to the roof and the walls of the trailer. You can do this by drilling screws at each end and the support that you added to the top.
- Once you have secured the frame to the top of the roof, you can go ahead and add the plywood at the bottom and the face-framing at the front.
- You can also use finish nails to complete this task. Be sure to add plywood to all the exposed parts of the frame.
Secure the doors to the frame
The next step will be to fix the doors to the frame. Before fixing the doors, ensure that you have the hinges fixed. The doors of the cabinet can be fixed only if you have the hinges in place. You will need to use screws for this purpose. You can also add a small handle or a door knob to the doors to use them for opening and closing.
Materials for building a trailer cabinet
You will need to purchase some materials for building a cabinet on your own. You can purchase these materials for a reasonable price. Make sure to purchase quality materials and strong plywood for the cabinets. You can also purchase some paint to give your cabinets a good look after you are done with the installation. Here is the list of essentials that are required.
- Wooden reapers
- 2-inch screws
- 4-inch screws
- Finish nails
- Cabinet Knobs
- Adhesive glue
- Electric power saw
While installing cabinets be sure to take safety measures and use safety equipment while working. It is advised to use gloves and glasses for protection. You can also hire a professional to get the cabinets installed or hire a carpenter to get the job done. Installing cabinets in a horse trailer is easy if you have a basic idea and all the required equipment to get the job done.
Apart from wood cabinets, you can also opt for aluminum cabinets. Aluminum cabinets are appropriate if you have an aluminum horse trailer. On the other hand, installing aluminum cabinets on your own is hard and you cannot construct these cabinets on your own. Aluminum cabinets might also be a little expensive.
Horse trailers are restricted in terms of space but installing a couple of cabinets is not going to be an issue. Make use of the place wisely and ensure to build the cabinets in a place that is not used. Be sure that the cabinets are not a hindrance for the horses while transporting and build cabinets based on your requirements. Try to keep it as minimal as possible.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to install cabinets in a horse trailer?” We have described the steps to install cabinets in a horse trailer and also discussed how to build roof cabinets for a horse trailer. Additionally, we have listed the materials that are required for building a trailer cabinet.