How to install an RV window in a cargo trailer?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to install an RV window in a cargo trailer?” We will discuss the simplest steps to install an RV window in a cargo trailer. We will also talk about the necessary materials and tools to install an RV window in a cargo trailer. At the end of this post, you will learn to install an RV window in a cargo trailer in less than a day.
How to install an RV window in a cargo trailer?
To install an RV window in a cargo trailer, you must follow the steps described below.
- Mark and measure the window
- Cut an opening
- Make the necessary adjustments
- Apply the sealant
- Install the window
- Seal the edges
- Clean up the area
Measure and mark the dimensions
- It is easy to install an RV window in a cargo trailer if you have the right tools and materials. First, you must determine the area where you plan on installing an RV window. Once you have the right location, you can go ahead and measure the area.
- Use a measuring tape to determine the required dimensions of the RV window frame. Note down the dimensions as per your requirements. Note the length and the width of the RV window and mark the area with a marker.
- Ensure that the area is marked properly with a marker or a pencil. It is also important to get the edges right. Double-check the measurements and the alignment before proceeding to the next step.
Cut an opening
- Next, you need to cut an opening for the RV window. You will be required to use a drill to mark a pilot hole at each corner of the marked window frame. With the help of a jigsaw or reciprocating saw, you need to carefully cut along the marked lines.
- Create an opening for the window and ensure that the lines are cut carefully. The cut has to be precise and it must match the dimensions of the window.
- After cutting an opening, it is essential to place the RV window to check the fit. If you do not have an RV window, you need to purchase one or make an RV window as per your dimensions.
- Decide if you need an opening window or a closed window. Based on your requirements and measurements, you need to have the right RV window for the cargo trailer.
Make the necessary adjustments
- It is essential to make some necessary adjustments before installing the window. First, you need to smooth the installation area with an angle grinder. This is an essential step to prevent any damage or harm.
- Use a flat disc angle grinder and add waterproofing tape according to the RV window size.
- Next, you need to add a thick layer of sealing tape on the borders of the window that you cut. Add sealing tape on the inside and the outside.
Apply the sealant
- Next, you must apply a decent amount of sealant around the perimeter of the window. Apply a generous layer of exterior-grade sealant around the area. This will help to prevent water from seeping inside. The sealant will also act as a watertight seal to prevent leaks.
Install the window
- Once you are done applying the sealant, you can go ahead and install the window. Ensure to install the window carefully in the right position. The window has to be pressed firmly against the sealant.
- You might need help from another person to install the RV window. Use the pilot holes at the corners to install screws to secure the window properly. Ensure to tighten the screws or rivets gently to avoid damaging the window frame.
Seal the edges
- Next, you need to seal the edges after installing the window. Seal the edges with extra sealant. The additional sealant needs to be level and it should act as an extra protection for the window. The extra sealant will act as a double layer for the window on the exterior.
Clean up the area
- Once you are done sealing the edges, you need to clean up the area. Get rid of all the excess sealant and clean the window’s glass and frame. Clean the frame on the inside and the outside.
- Wait for the sealant to cure according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Be sure not to add pressure to the window and do not expose the window to water or direct sunlight until the sealant has cured totally.
Those were the simplest steps to install an RV window in a cargo trailer. Get in touch with an expert if you are unable to work on this project by yourself. Ensure to use safety gear such as gloves and goggles while working on this project. Do not cause damage to the interior of the cargo trailer.
Necessary materials and tools for installing an RV window in a cargo trailer
It is essential to have the necessary tools and materials for this project. Here are Some of the tools that are required.
- RV window kit with frame, seals, and glass
- Measuring tape
- Jigsaw or reciprocating saw
- Drill with drill bits
- Exterior sealant suitable for trailer material
- Caulking gun
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to install an RV window in a cargo trailer?” We have discussed the simplest steps to install an RV window in a cargo trailer. We have also talked about the necessary materials and tools for installing an RV window in a cargo trailer.