How to install a shower in an RV?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to install a shower in an RV?” We will discuss the steps to install a shower in an RV from scratch. We will discuss the necessary tools and materials for this project. We will also talk about connecting the plumbing and the drainage systems in the RV.
How to install a shower in an RV?
To install a shower in an RV, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Determine the shower location
- Choose the shower
- Gather the necessary tools
- Clean the area
- Install a shower pan
- Connect the plumbing
- Connect the drainage system
- Install shower walls
- Add the shower fixtures
- Waterproof and seal the area
- Install a shower curtain
Determine the shower location
- Determining the shower location might not seem to be an important task since you have minimal options. The shower is sure to go into the bathroom, but it is important to determine the location where you plan on installing the shower. The location plays a crucial role since you will be required to construct a shower base or a shower pan.
- Select a location that is convenient and provides enough space to shower. It is also good to consider the plumbing system in the RV and the whereabouts of the pipelines. The location should not be far away from the pipelines and installation has to be easy.
Choose the shower
- Next, you must select the type of shower that is suitable for the RV. There are plenty of shower options when it comes to RVs. However, it depends on your personal preference and style. Just be sure to get a shower that can fit perfectly in the desired location. A shower that is too long can be a hassle.
- Ensure that the shower is made to the right size. Purchase RV-specific showers for this purpose. The shower head must suit the layout of the RV.
Gather the necessary tools
- The next step is to gather the necessary tools for this project. Ensure to get the right materials for the installation process. These materials include the plumbing, fixtures, shower pan, plumbing pipes, screws, sealants, caulking, fittings, etc.
- Get the right tools that are needed for this project. You will require a wrench, screwdriver, Teflon tape, safety goggles, safety gloves, etc.
Clean the area
- The next step is to clean and prepare the area where you need to install the shower. Get rid of any dirt, debris, and other components. The area must be clear for easy installation.
- It is also essential to check if the floor is stable and level to support the shower pan or shower base. In case of an uneven floor, you will be required to make the floor level.
Install a shower pan
- Installing a shower pan is important before installing the shower head. The easiest way is to purchase a shower pan that is made specifically for RVs or motorhomes. Purchase a shower pan based on the dimensions of the available space in the RV bathroom.
- A shower pan collects the water and directs it to the drain, which leads to the grey water tank. Make sure that the bottom part of the shower pan is fixed to the outlet to drain out the water. Use screws or adhesive to secure the shower pan to the RV floor.
Connect the plumbing
- The plumbing is the most crucial part when it comes to installing a shower in an RV. Be sure to fix the drainage from the shower pan to the outlet. If there is no outlet, you will be required to install pipes along the RV floors and walls to connect the plumbing system.
- Ensure that the shower’s plumbing is connected to the RV’s water supply system. This includes running the pipes from the freshwater tank to the shower hookup fixtures. Use PEX to install the piping, especially in tight spaces.
Connect the drainage system
- The next step is to connect the drainage system. The shower drain must have pipes connected to the RV’s grey water tank or the drainage system. Be sure to have a slope to allow the water to flow easily. All RV shower pans arrive with a slope that is directed to the drainage outlet.
Install shower walls
- Next, you must install the shower walls. Shower walls are required to prevent water from damaging the RV’s original walls. However, this is applicable only if your RV does not have a proper shower wall.
- Install shower walls or assemble them as per the manufacturer’s instructions. The walls must be secured properly to the RV’s structure. Ensure to use fasteners for securing the shower walls to the surface.
Add the shower fixtures
- Once you are done installing the shower walls, you can go ahead and install the shower fixtures. Start by mounting the shower head and controls to the shower walls. Use Teflon tape to secure the shower head and ensure that there are no leaks.
Waterproof and seal the area
- After adding the shower fixtures, you must waterproof and seal the area. Waterproofing will prevent leaks and further damage. Use a strong sealant around the shower pan, shower walls, and fixtures. Add enough sealant between the gaps in the shower walls.
- Use silicone or RV-specific caulking to make sure that the gaps are all sealed properly. There should not be any type of leakage from the shower head, walls, or shower pan.
Install a shower curtain
- Finally, you can install a shower curtain to prevent the water from coming out of the shower pan. You can also add a couple of non-slip mats for safety purposes.
Get in touch with a professional if you are unable to complete this project on your own. Make sure to use RV-specific fixtures, shower systems, and materials. RV-specific materials are compatible and fall under the safety standards for motorhomes. Always wear safety gear while working on such projects.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to install a shower in an RV?” We have discussed the steps to install a shower in an RV from scratch. We have discussed the necessary tools and materials for this project. We have also talked about connecting the plumbing and the drainage systems in the RV.