How to install a 30 amp RV outlet?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to install a 30 amp RV outlet?” We will list out the materials and the tools that are needed to install a 30 am RV outlet. We will also discuss the steps to install a 30 amp RV outlet and talk about a few tips to consider. Additionally, we will look into the benefits of hiring a professional to get the job done.
How to install a 30 amp RV outlet?
If you want to install a 30 amp RV outlet, you will need to follow these points mentioned as follows.
- The first step will be to install the 30 amp breaker into the home panel. Note that there will be several other breakers, but a 30 amp breaker is the right choice for an RV.
- Drill holes onto the wall or the surface where you are planning on installing the outlet.
- Make sure to keep enough space from the ground and fix the box onto the surface. The box should be mounted at a minimum of 24 inches above the ground.
- The RV outlet box that you purchase will also have the screws for mounting.
- Open the outlet box and check if you have the line, the ground, and the neutral connected to the plug. The RV box will have instructions stuck on the inside.
- With a box cutter, you will cut the outer part of the cord’s jacket cover.
- Separate the three wires that are on the inside and remove half an inch of insulation from each of those wires.
- The hot wire is black and it must be connected to the screw that is colored in brass.
- The white neutral wire must be connected with the silver-colored screw.
- The green ground wire is required to be connected to the green-colored screw.
- In some situations, there will be no green screw and you will be required to connect the ground wire to the U-shaped pin.
- Be sure to tighten up the straps that are situated on the cord’s jacket on top. Secure the wires that are inside the 30 amp RV plug.
A 30 amp RV outlet will require a single pole. There is only one spot for the wire and one handle in the 30 amp RV outlet. The most important part is to choose the location of the outlet. 30 amp outlets will require a single gang box. Make sure you choose the right location and keep enough wire to connect your RV.
It also depends on where you will be parking your RV. For those who have a garage, it is easier to mount the RV outlet. You might need to drill a couple of holes in the wall or the area where you want to install the 30 amp outlet.
The process of installing a 30 amp RV outlet is pretty easy and it can be done by yourself. However, it is always recommended to hire a trained expert in this situation. Working with electricity comes with risk and if you are not aware of this, be sure to avoid such situations.
In order to install a 30 amp RV outlet, you will need a few things. These are:
- Electrical safety box.
- New breaker.
- Cable clamps.
- 10 gauge wire.
- Staples to protect your wires.
- Cover plate for the 30 amp RV outlet.
These are the materials that you will need to install a 30 amp RV outlet. Be sure to get the right wire since a 10 gauge wire is recommended. Be sure to wear safety equipment like gloves and glasses and make sure that the power lines are cut before working. Never hesitate to contact an electrician or a professional to get the job done.
Required tools to install a 30 amp RV outlet
Apart from the materials, you will need several tools to ensure that the installation process is smooth and easy. You might have most of these tools at home or in your RV toolbox. If you do not have these tools try to get them and they will also be useful in the future. The tools that are required are listed below.
- Wire cutters
- Tape measure
- Voltage detector
Plugging a 30 amp into a 50 amp power outlet
The good news is that you can still connect a 30 amp RV cord into a 50 amp power outlet. All you need to have is a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter. This adapter can be purchased online or at a store nearby where you get RV-related stuff. Just use the right ends to connect and plug in your RV. The male end of the plug will need to be connected to the 50 amp RV receptacle.
It is also advised to upgrade your RV to a 50 amp outlet. There are plenty of 30 amp extension cords that are available in case you need more length while connecting a 50 amp out to a 30 amp. It is also possible to plug a 50 amp RV cord into a 30 amp power pedal. Wiring and installing a 30 amp RV plug is an easy process.
Tips for installing
The wire that you will need will be 10-2 gauge. Remember that the lower the number, the thicker the wire. Thick wires will have the capacity to handle more amperage. If the length is less than 150 feet from the RV to the outlet, then a 10-2 gauge is perfect. This wire consists of a 120-volt hot wire that is black. A white neutral wire and a green ground wire.
- The most important part is that you will need a space in the breaker box for the single pole 30 amp breaker.
- Ensure that you get a new 30-amp single pole breaker.
- You will also need the right amount of wire to run from the RV pedestal to the breaker box.
- Use a weather RV pedestal with a 30 amp outlet to protect the box from rain.
- Use the wire staples and clamps to secure the wires that are running to the pedestal and the breaker box.
- With all the right materials in place, you can install a 30 amp RV outlet in no time.
- The most important tip is to shut off the main breaker.
- Remember to cut off the power for another breaker if there is one.
- By using a voltmeter you can test the non-contact voltage and ensure that the other breakers are all dead.
- Be sure to inform the other members of your family that you are working with the electrical supply so they do not turn it on while you are working.
- After you are done with the installation process, switch on the breaker and test it.
When should you hire a professional?
It is also advised not to run the breaker box to the outlet until you make sure that the wiring is correct. Once you are sure about the wiring, you can turn the breakers back and check if you are good to go. For those who are familiar with working with electricity, you can very well go ahead with the process. If you are hesitant, do not do this job on your own.
Contacting a professional is the best way to install a 30 amp RV outlet. Since there is not much work that needs to be done, it is not too expensive for an expert to get the job done. You can also install the pedestal post and the box by yourself and only hire an expert to get the wiring done. By doing this, you can save some extra money.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to install a 30 amp RV outlet?” We have listed out the materials and the tools that are needed to install a 30 amp RV outlet. We have also discussed the steps to install a 30 amp RV outlet and talked about a few tips to consider. Additionally, we looked into the benefits of hiring a professional to get the job done.