How to fix a P0520 Dodge Grand caravan code?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to fix a P0520 Dodge Grand caravan code?” We will also discuss the P0520 Dodge Grand caravan’s common causes along with the right solutions. We will also talk about a few important tips to avoid the P5020 code on the Dodge Grand caravan.
How to fix a P0520 Dodge Grand caravan code?
To fix a P0520 Dodge Grand caravan code, you need to replace the oil pressure sensor with a new sensor. The oil pressure sensor is one of the most common problems that trigger the P0520 Dodge Caravan code. It is also important to note that these oil pressure sensors get worn out fast after a particular time.
To replace the oil pressure sensor in the Dodge Grand Caravan, you will need to find the location by using the right tools. You will be required to use a standard socket to remove the sensor. Make sure that you are familiar with car repairs and that you have the necessary tools and equipment. It is always recommended to hire a certified mechanic for this project.
P0520 Dodge Grand Caravan code common causes
The P0520 code is directly related to the Dodge Caravan’s oil pressure sensor or switch. It is also associated with the electrical circuit. This is the generic code for an issue with the oil pressure sensor. However, there are a few other causes for the P0520 code. Here are some of the causes described below.
Oil pressure sensor
- The most common issue is the oil pressure sensor. The easy way of identifying this problem is to simply change the oil pressure sensor in the vehicle. These sensors must be replaced each time you send your vehicle for service to avoid such issues. The oil pressure sensor can be faulty and might be one of the causes.
Low oil level
- Another common issue is if the vehicle has a low oil level. No oil in the Dodge Grand caravan will also trigger the P0520 code. Be sure to check the oil level in the vehicle’s engine. The engine oil has to be changed after 3,000 to 5,000 miles in the Dodge Grand Caravan. It is recommended not to cross the limit.
- Use a manual oil pressure gauge to check the pressure of the engine oil. In some cases, you might find an issue with the oil pump or a clogged oil passage. These issues can also lead to trouble and cause the P0520 Dodge Grand caravan code.
- In most cases, the P0520 code will show up with the oil light. In that case, you need to add new oil to the vehicle.
- Yet another problem can be some issues with the wire. You must inspect the wiring from time to time to prevent such issues. Be sure to check the wiring and connections to the engine oil pressure sensor for any damage.
- In some cases, the wiring might be damaged or loose. Be sure to look for corrosion and replace the damaged wiring or connectors when necessary.
Wrong or bad oil
- While this might not be a common issue, it has still come up with several Dodge Grand caravan owners. If the oil is not changed for a long time, it can become dirty and cause a lot of issues.
- This can eventually interfere with the oil pressure sensor even if there is the right amount of pressure. Using the wrong oil can also cause major damage to the sensor and the vehicle’s engine itself.
- Those were some of the common causes of the P5020 Dodge Grand caravan code. In such situations, the first thing to do is to replace the sensor or check the oil level. Ensure to check the oil pressure if the problem persists manually. On the other hand, inspect the wiring harness from the oil pressure sensor to the ECM.
Tips to avoid the P5020 code on the Dodge Grand caravan
While the solutions are pretty simple, it is important to follow these tips to avoid the P5020 code on the Dodge Grand Caravan. These simple tips are easy to follow and will surely help you in the long run.
Maintain the oil level
- The oil level is one of the causes of the P5020 code, and the only way to avoid such problems is to maintain the oil level. Regular checks are recommended, and be sure to add oil if required. The oil pressure will drop due to low oil, triggering the P5020 code.
Replace the oil and filter
- It is also advised to replace the oil whenever necessary. Avoid using the same engine oil for a long time, even if you do not use the vehicle much. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and replace the engine oil.
- The oil filter also plays a crucial role in filtering out all unwanted components. It is recommended to change the oil filter as recommended by the manufacturer.
Use the right viscosity
- It is also important to use the recommended oil viscosity. The wrong viscosity can cause oil pressure problems and trigger the P0520 code. Be sure to note the recommended oil viscosity as per the manufacturer of the Dodge Grand Caravan.
Check the sensor
- You can also occasionally check the oil pressure sensor and ensure you replace it beforehand. These sensors have a lifespan, and replacing them is always good after crossing several miles of your vehicle.
- Make sure to check the wiring and look for any damage or corrosion. Replacing the wiring after a couple of years will help to solve these issues.
Avoid rash driving
- Driving rash does plan an important role in the longevity of the Dodge Grand Caravan. It is important to drive smoothly and avoid overloading the engine. Aggressive driving and engine overload can cause oil pressure problems to trigger the P0520 code.
It is worth noting that one of the other common problems with the Dodge Grand Caravan is excess oil consumption. Unlike the other vehicles, the Dodge Grand Caravan has been said to consume excess oil. In many instances, owners have found excess oil accumulating beneath the engine when parked.
The Dodge Grand Caravan is an excellent vehicle, but certain issues are pretty common. These issues include poor transmission shifting, faulty air conditioning system, engine stalling, and worn-out breaks. To keep your vehicle in good shape, it is recommended that you get it serviced on time without fail.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to fix a P0520 Dodge Grand caravan code?” We have also discussed the P0520 Dodge Grand caravan’s common causes along with the right solutions. We have also discussed some important tips to avoid the P5020 code on the Dodge Grand caravan.