In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to convert an Acura MDX into a camper? We will describe the steps to convert an Acura MDX into a camper. We will also list the key features and the safety features of the Acura MDX. Additionally, we will talk about adding a few accessories to the Acura MDX.
How to convert an Acura MDX into a camper?
The steps to convert an Acura MCX into a camper are listed below.
- Remove the rear seats
- Clean the interiors
- Create a layout
- Build a platform bed frame
- Fix the bed
- Install a battery
- Add a portable heater/cooler
- Add a refrigerator
- Add a few shelves
Remove the rear seats
The first and most important step before converting any vehicle into a camper is to clear the rear space. You will need to start by removing the rear seats. Just keep the front passenger seat and the driver’s seat. The rest of the rear space should be empty to convert the Acura MDX into a camper. Ensure to remove all the extra fittings including the carpet on the floor.
Clean the interiors
- Once you are done removing the seats and the carpet, you will need to clean the rear interior space.
- Clean the roof, walls, and flooring of the vehicle.
- Be sure to use some cleaning liquid and take out all the dirt inside the camper.
- You can also use soap liquid or water if required to get this job done. Your interiors must be empty and clean before installing a few things.
Create a layout
You will need to create a layout based on the space that you have at the rear. It is good to measure the rear space of the camper to create a layout. Measure the length, width, and height of the camper. Once you have the measurements in place, you can go ahead and design a layout. The layout must have space for a bed, battery, and a couple of shelves.
Build a platform bed frame
- You can build a platform bed frame in the rear space by using wood reapers.
- Be sure to have enough space on top and good clearance for placing a bed.
- The platform bed frame is easy to construct. Just be sure to have some access to the space under the frame for storing your stuff.
- You can add a few hinges to the platform and have access to the space below.
Fix the bed
- The next step is to fix the bed on the platform. Ensure to have a bed that suits the frame that you have constructed.
- A bed that is a few inches smaller than the frame is acceptable, but ensure that the bed is not bigger than the frame.
- You can get a customized bed or you can also purchase a bed with the same dimensions as your bed frame.
Install a battery
- Installing a battery is important since your camper will need some source of power when camping.
- You can opt for a house battery or a 12-volt deep cycle rechargeable battery.
- There are several battery options for campers and these batteries can easily power a small fridge and a few other appliances that you plan on installing.
Add a portable heater/cooler
Adding a portable heater or cooler is an easy option since you need not carry them always. Based on your traveling preferences, you can take your heater or cooler along with you. When they are not required, you can always keep them back at home. On the other hand, the heater and a cooler does not take up too much space.
Add a refrigerator
Adding a refrigerator is another option and you can choose to keep one under the bed frame. There are many refrigerator options that are available for campers. A refrigerator is essential since you can keep your food for a couple of days, especially if you plan on camping in remote areas. A refrigerator is a must-have if you travel and camp often.
Add a few shelves
Adding a few shelves will help you to store a few things in your camper. You can easily add a few shelves with the help of some wood. If you find it hard to build a shelf on your own, you can purchase a couple of readymade shelves that can be installed with ease. Shelves can also be used to store a few utensils that you use for your cooking.
With a few alterations to your vehicle, you can easily change it into a camper successfully. The Acura MDX is one of those popular vehicles that are perfect for camper conversion. The Acura MDX has enough space at the rear that can be modified into a camper. This vehicle is also good for outdoor adventurers and off-road camping.
Additional camping options
- There are a few additional camping accessories that can be added to the Acura MDX. You can add a solar shower if necessary as they do not cost much. A solar shower will help you out when camping in remote places.
- You can also add a ceiling fan, but most people prefer portable air coolers. You will need to get the smallest ceiling fan for your camper.
- Another option is to add a rooftop tent. If you want more space at the rear you can opt for a rooftop tent.
- The Acura MDX has enough space for two people to sleep comfortably. Hence, a rooftop tent will provide more space. However, note that you cannot go overboard with accessories due to the limited space in the Acura MDX
Acura MDX key features
The Acura MDX has several key features and this vehicle has been built with the latest technology. Some of the safety features and specifications are incredible. Below are the key features and specs of the Acura MDX.
- Premium unleaded V-6 engine
- Maximum horsepower of 290 @ 6,200
- Maximum torque of 267 @4,700
- 10-speed automatic transmission
- 18.5-liter fuel capacity.
- 4-wheel disc brake
- Anti-locking braking system
- Maximum towing capacity of 5,000 pounds
- Maximum trailer weight of 5,000 pounds
- Maximum tongue weight/dead weight hitch of 500 pounds
- Base curb weight of 4,529 pounds
- Aluminum rear and front wheels
- 4.17 Axle-ratio
- Battery run-down protection
- 130 amp alternator
- Electric power assists speed-sensing steering
- Permanent locking hubs
- Double wishbone front suspension with coil spring
- Multilink rear suspension with could springs.
Some of the other features included the vehicle anti-theft system, cruise control, keyless start, and rear parking aid, remote engine start, and many more. The fog lamps, interior cargo shade, luggage rack, and heated steering wheel are optional features. The Acura MDX had several optional features that could be purchased if required.
Acura MDX safety features
The Acura MDX has some of the best safety features and it is also built for comfort. Some of the safety features of this vehicle have made driving easy. Below are innovative safety features that come along with the Acura MDX.
- Acura link emergency SOS
- Side impact beams
- ABS and driveline traction control
- Traffic jam assist
- Vehicle stability assist
- Electronic stability control
- Dual-stage driver and passenger seat-mounted side airbags
- Blind spot information system
- Driver monitoring alert
- Collision mitigation front
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Lane-keeping assist system
- Lane departure warning system
- Airbag occupancy sensor
- Driver and passenger knee airbag
- Rear child safety locks
- Tire-specific low tire pressure warning
- Onboard front lap and shoulder safety belts
- Height adjusters and pre-tensioners
Those were some of the best safety features of the Acura MDX. This vehicle also arrives with a warranty and several other features. Some of the special features like the Acura link tracker system and fade-to-off interior lighting has made the Acura MDX a unique vehicle. It also has a day/night auto-dimming rearview mirror.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to convert an Acura MDX into a camper? We have described the steps to convert an Acura MDX into a camper. We have also listed the key features and the safety features of the Acura MDX. Additionally, we have talked about adding a few accessories to the Acura MDX.