How to convert a Volvo V70 into a camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to convert a Volvo V70 into a camper?” We will discuss the steps to convert a Volvo V70 into a camper from scratch. We will talk about the essentials, the conversion process, sleeping space, storage options, and more. At the end of this post, you will get to know the easiest way of converting a Volvo V70 into a camper.
How to convert a Volvo V70 into a camper?
To convert a Volvo V70 into a camper, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Remove the rear seats
- Clean the van
- Measure the space
- Install a wooden base
- Install a rooftop tent
- Add a bed
- Add storage shelves
- Install a portable solar panel
- Install a portable fridge
- Add a portable stove
- Install window screens
Remove the rear seats
- To get started with this project, you will need to remove the rear seats. Converting a Volvo V70 into a camper is an easy process but it can be a bit challenging due to the limited space and options.
- Get rid of the rear seats since you will need all the space at the back to convert a Volvo V70 into a camper. Store the seats in a safe place in case you want to use them the next time. Be sure to get rid of the clamps and the nuts holding down the seats.
Clean the van
- Next, clean the entire rear space of the Volvo V70. Get rid of the dust, dirt, debris, and rust if there are any. In case of any dents or mold, use pressure and make sure that they are all evened out. The van has to be clean to move on to the next step. It is also advised to get rid of the carpet if you have one on the car floor.
Measure the space
- This is an important step and you will need to measure the rear space with the help of a measuring tape. Keep a notebook and a pen handy to note down the measurements or note them down on your cell phone.
- Measure the length from the back of the front seat to the rear door. Measure the width of the vehicle and most importantly the height.
Install a wooden base
- Now that you have the measurements in place, you need to install a wooden base that acts as a floor for the vehicle. Based on the measurements, you need to cut out some plywood sheets and fix them to the floor. Use a strong adhesive to get them together and make sure to cut out space for the wheel wells.
- You can also cut one full sheet of plywood as per the length and width of the car. However, it is easier to work with multiple plywood sheets. Try to use three sheets for the wooden base to make it easy.
Install a rooftop tent
- The Volvo V70 has a height of 75.08 inches which is slightly shorter that the other vehicles. Hence, it can be pretty challenging to construct a bed frame and build a bed in the rear space.
- Installing a rooftop tent is one of the best options to consider and you also get to use all the rear space for storage. A rooftop tent is sure to provide enough sleeping space for up to two people.
- Just make sure that there are bed rails to support the rooftop tent. These bed rails need to be designed to fit the Volvo V70 camper. Measure the surface of the roof before purchasing a rooftop tent. According to the dimensions, you will be required to get a tent to match the vehicle.
- Look for a tent that arrives with a ladder to climb up and make sure that the tent is easy to install and dismantle. There are plenty of rooftop tents that are available in various dimensions.
Add a bed
- In some cases, you might not get a rooftop tent that comes with a comfortable bed. Based on the tent specifications and floor base, you can get a customized bed to place inside.
- This will give you comfortable sleep during the night. That said, the sleeping space in the Volvo V70 is sorted and you can start installing the other essentials.
Add storage shelves
- Adding storage shelves is essential and there is plenty of space at the rear to add enough storage shelves for your camping trips. Since you already have a wooden base, you can make your store shelves with plywood and fix them to the floor.
- On the other hand, there are plenty of storage shelves that are sold at an affordable price for this purpose. These shelves are easy to install and are also portable. Purchase a couple of shelves and a combination of cabinets to store all your essentials.
- Consider your requirements and make a note of all the camping gear that you plan on carrying while going on a trip. It is also important to consider storage shelves for all the cooking utensils and groceries.
Install a portable solar panel
- Converting a Volvo V70 into a camper in one aspect, but an independent power source is sure to make camping easier. Consider installing a portable solar panel that need not be fixed to the roof.
- There are flexible portable panels that can be placed outside the vehicle while camping. A 100-watt solar power kit should be good enough for this purpose.
Install a portable fridge
- This is a must-have, especially if you plan on camping for a couple of days. There are plenty of portable fridge options that are perfect for a weekend getaway or even more. These refrigerators are good enough to keep your food and vegetables fresh.
Add a portable stove
- Adding a portable camping stove is one of the best options to get your food hot and even prepare some food. There is no shortage of portable camping stoves that are made specifically for campers. Purchase a portable camping stove along with a portable table and you will be all set for an outdoor kitchen.
Install a portable sink
- You will need some source of water and one of the best options is to install a portable sink. The sink needs to be connected to a pump that will be running from the freshwater tank.
- A 25-gallon freshwater tank is one of the best options to consider. You can easily place the tank in one corner of the camper and connect it to a portable sink.
- A portable sink is small and it does not take up too much space. These sinks also arrive at a reasonable price.
Install a cassette toilet
- There is nothing like having a portable toilet when it comes to camping. Installing a cassette toilet is one of the best options. These are cheap, easy to carry, and easy to store. They are sure to sever the purpose when required.
Install window screens
- Finally, you will need to install window screens on the windows to give you more privacy. Make sure that the window screens are fixed properly with the help of Velcro. Use window screens for the rear as well and add a curtain after the front two seats.
There is enough space at the rear for all the above-mentioned items. Make sure to plan your conversion before beginning the process. It is easy to convert a Volvo V70 once you have all the required items in place. Be sure to put your requirements first and make sure to keep them as minimal as possible. Consider the space and feel free to decorate the camper.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to convert a Volvo V70 into a camper?” We have discussed the steps to convert a Volvo V70 into a camper from scratch. We have talked about the essentials, the conversion process, sleeping space, storage options, and more.