In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to convert a skoolie into a living room?” We will talk about choosing a floor plan, designing the layout, adding skylights, and all the requirements to convert a skoolie into a living room. We will also discuss the insulation options and talk about choosing the size of a Skoolie.
How to convert a Skoolie into a living room?
If you are planning to convert a Skoolie into a living room, you can use the following pointers in your process.
- You will first need to choose the floor plan
- You can then design the layout of the living room you want
You will first need to choose a floor plan
When you decide to convert a skoolie into a living room, you will need to come up with a floor plan. Before everything, you will need to decide on what you need and what you don’t. This will allow you to choose a floor plan that will fit your needs. Choosing a floor plan for a skoolie conversion involves a lot of research and planning.
- A good floor plan will be comprehensive and include measurements for all of the doors in the skoolie, including the emergency exit and passenger doors.
- You should also include measurements for the width and height of the doors.
- Make copies of the floor plans for future reference.
- Once you have your floor plan, you can work your way out and convert a skoolie into a living room.
You can next, design the layout
- Once you have the floor plan in place, you will need to come up with an interior design of the layout.
- Decide where to place the sofa, coffee table, and other furniture that you require in your living room.
- Keep enough space to add a closet along with a few shelves if necessary.
- Decide where you will place the cabinets for a TV.
- When designing the layout, be sure to consider the electrical connections
- Measure all the doors and windows in the skoolie
- Keep enough room to walk and enough room for the seating area.
A traditional skoolie floor plan incorporates a semi-open layout. It typically includes a sofa behind the driver’s seat, an RV sink with a foot pedal water pump, and a dormitory-style refrigerator. If you are planning on converting the entire skoolie into a living room, there is no need to worry about the sink and pump.
How to add skylights to your Skoolie?
Adding skylights to a skoolie can make the room much more spacious than a standard room. However, if you are planning on converting your skoolie into a fully functional living space, you must take certain precautions. Some skylights have glass but many people avoid glass and opt for an alternative for various reasons.
One of the most common mistakes is using glass for skylights and cabinets. Glass has its purpose and it is not recommended since they are not good for insulation. Hence, it will be necessary to use alternative materials for these purposes. Adding a skylight in the living room of a skoolie will surely give it a grand appearance.
How to adjust the seating in the Skoolie?
If you are planning to convert the Skoolie into a living room,you will also need to adjust the seating.
- A skoolie is going to have a lot of seats. If you are planning to use the space for a living room, you must remove the seats.
- You can keep a few if required but most people remove all seats.
- A few 360-degree windows are great for natural light.
- Having windows on each side will provide airflow and a nice view.
Weather-stripping the Skoolie
Weather-stripping is important and you will need to get this done for the doors, windows, and skylight. This should be cut into four pieces. Each piece should be attached to a 1 x 2-inch box. Make sure the weather-stripping rests between the lid and base box when closed. If necessary, you can add clear silicone to the corners.
Converting a skoolie into a home may seem like an easy task, but there are several challenges. You need time and dedication to complete this project. Make sure you take the time to remove everything from the bus, so it is ready for basic finishing. You will need to remove and repair all dents and any other type of damage.
Insulating the skoolie
Whether you convert a skoolie into a living room or an entire home, the most important part is insulation. A skoolie must have proper insulation to keep you warm during cold climatic conditions. There are many types of insulation and some of these are affordable and easy to install. Most people get their insulation done on their own.
Spray foam insulation
There are several different types of insulation you can use in a skoolie. One popular choice is spray foam, which has high R-values and can form a water-tight seal. Just be sure to mix the spray foam correctly before using it for insulation. It is also advised to use a suitable vapour barrier if you choose to use this type of insulation.
Polyiso board insulation
You can choose to use a Polyiso board, which is a rigid board that is used for insulation. This type of insulation is cost-effective but loses its effectiveness in colder weather. Hence, you need to add a frame to keep it stable. If you live in a colder climate, XPS will be the best choice. However, if you live in a warm climate, Polyiso is a great deal.
When you convert a skoolie into a home, it is a good idea to consider the available insulation options. Fibreglass insulation is generally the common option, though it costs more than spray foam. Another option is denim which is an excellent choice for colder climatic conditions. Denim is more expensive than spray foam.
Rigid foam insulation
There are many ways to insulate a skoolie. If you are handy with tools, you can purchase rigid foam in various sizes and depths to suit your needs. And since it’s relatively easy to install, rigid foam is an excellent DIY option. It’s also far cheaper than hiring a professional. The only problem with rigid foam is that it might not be as effective as the other options.
Selecting the size of the Skoolie
When converting a skoolie into a living room, there are a few things to consider. Depending on the size of your skoolie, you can choose between small and full-sized conversions. Typically, the mid-sized skoolie’s are between 20 and 25 feet long, so they take up more room for parking when travelling. Mid-size skoolies have most of the features of larger buses.
- First, you should carefully measure the room to determine how much space you have. This will save you time and money by not wasting items.
- Next, you should measure the area you will need to store furniture, appliances, and other items.
- Start planning the interior of the living room.
- Think about the flow of space and how you want everything to fit in.
- Make sure you also consider the layout of the storage space.
- If it’s an open floor plan, be sure to create more room to keep the furniture.
- Some full-sized conversions have separate toilet and shower rooms, as well as large beds and ample counter space.
Depending on how elaborate you want your skoolie conversion to be, it’s important to choose the right size for your skoolie. The 23-foot-long bus has 120 square feet of living space, while the 31-foot-long bus has 180 square feet of space. The 42-foot-long skoolie, on the other hand, has 270 square feet.
The most versatile skoolie’s tend to have four to five windows, which means they take up less space. But they also take up more space in parking lots. As a result, the smaller skoolie may have less space, but they can have many of the same features as the larger ones. If you are planning on installing a bathroom, a separate toilet room may be necessary.
How to add extra features and amenities?
You can also add a number of extra features and amenities to make your Skoolie more homely and comfortable. Some extra features which you can add to your Skoolie have been listed as follows.
- Depending on the size of your skoolie, a toilet and shower room can be installed in a separate area.
- Other features of a full-sized skoolie include a kitchen counter and walls, and plenty of shelving.
- A skoolie with one bedroom and a bathroom can be used as an entertainment room, with a separate sleeping area upstairs.
- For larger families, a two-story design is an ideal choice.
- The sleeping area can be on the second floor, which allows you to get to essential items easily and enjoy a proper night’s sleep.
- It is also good to get some ideas from your family members and friends when it comes to converting skoolie’s into a living room.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to convert a Skoolie into a living room?” We have talked about choosing a floor plan, designing the layout, adding skylights, and all the requirements to convert a skoolie into a living room. We have also discussed the insulation options and talked about selecting the size of a skoolie.