How to convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper?” We will discuss the steps to convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper and describe the things that need to be installed. We will also discuss the specifications and features that come along with the Jeep Renegade.
How to convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper?
To convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper, you will need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will need to create a layout for your camper.
- The second step will be the measuring process. Be sure to measure the height, length, and width of the camper on the inside.
- When creating a layout, ensure to keep enough space for a bed and a small area for a shelf.
- Once you have the plan in place, the first step will be to remove the rear seats of the vehicle.
- Once you have removed the rear seats, be sure to clean the interiors properly.
- Remove the carpet on the interior before starting the conversion process.
First, you will need to design a layout
The first and most important is to create a layout for the camper that you want to build. By creating a layout, you will know how much space is available inside the Jeep Renegade. Based on the space and the measurements of the interiors, you can go ahead and build a bed frame and a couple of shelves to convert your vehicle into a camper.
Second, you will need to remove the seats
The next step is to remove the seats that are located at the rear. The Jeep Renegade has enough space to build a bed for camping once the seats are removed. Be sure to store your seats in a safe place after removing them. Your Jeep Renegade must have only the driver’s seat and the front passenger seat.
Next, you will need to clean the interiors
Be sure to clean the interiors once the seats are removed. Get rid of any dents or damage on the inside of the vehicle. It is also advised to remove the carpets on the inside of the vehicle since you might not be needing one. Make sure to use a liquid to clean the inside of the vehicle. You can also use soap or water to get rid of any dirt if present.
Build a bed frame
When it comes to the construction part, you will need to build a bed frame. Here are a few steps listed below to successfully build a bed frame.
- Use wood to construct the frame.
- You will need to use runners at the bottom and plywood on the top as the base.
- Build the wooden frame based on the desired bed length and width.
- Building a bed frame half the size of the rear space is recommended.
- Be sure to keep a minimum of two inches of space at the front and two inches of space at the rear.
- Once you have the frame constructed, you will need to place the plywood on top.
- When adding plywood, be sure to add hinges at the sides to use them under the bed for storage.
- Purchase a mattress that will be a perfect fit for the frame. A customized mattress can also be one of the best options.
Build a shelf for storage
The next important thing is to build a wooden shelf for storage. Building a wooden shelf for storage is not too hard.
- Build a shelf that is only two feet in length and their feet in height.
- The shelf can be placed near the bed right behind the front passenger seat.
- Be sure to have the shelf fixed to the base of the vehicle.
Install a battery
Installing a small battery is one of the options as they can be really useful when it comes to camping. You will need some source of power when you are camping in a remote place. A house battery is recommended in this situation. A 12-volt DC battery should be enough to get you powered up and running with the basic appliances for remote survival.
Install an external shower
When camping in remote places for more than a few days you will need to have an option for a shower. Installing an external shower is going to be an advantage. There are many options available including solar external showers that can be easily installed. These solar showers arrive with a solar panel and the installation instructions.
Carry a portable heater/air cooler
It is practically impossible to install and heater or an air conditioner in the Jeep Renegade due to its compact size. This vehicle can be converted into a camper for short-term camping. Hence, the best option is to opt for a portable heater and a portable air cooler based on the climate and type of place you are planning to camp.
The Jeep Renegade can be converted into a camper with ease if you follow the steps mentioned above. The Jeep Renegade is perfect for solo camping or a couple since the space is limited at the rear. However, you will still have enough space to install a few shelves and a bed for one person to sleep comfortably.
If you are camping as a couple, you will need to install a bigger bed frame with a bed that can accommodate two people to sleep. Apart from a bed with a couple of shelves and an external shower, you can have a portable heater and an air cooler. These are some of the alterations you can do to convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper.
Jeep Renegade specifications and features
The Jeep Renegade has interesting specifications and some of its features are top-notch. The Jeep Renegade is a sports utility vehicle and it arrives with an automatic transmission. It has a seating capacity of five and it comes with four cylinders. Here are some of the specifications and features of the Jeep Renegade listed below.
- Wheelbase – 101.2 inches
- Length – 166.6 inches
- Width, without mirrors 74.2 inches
- Height 66.5 inches
- Front Track Width 60.6 inches
- Rear Track Width 60.6 inches
- Minimum Ground Clearance 8 inches
- Liftover Height 29.8 inches.
- Passenger / Seating Capacity -5
- Total Passenger Volume 100.1 cubic feet
- Front Head Room 41.1 inches
- Front Leg Room 41.2 inches
- Front Shoulder Room 55.9 inches
- Front Hip Room 53.1 inches
- Second Row Head Room 40.5 inches
- Second Row Leg Room 35.1 inches
- Second Row Shoulder Room 55.1 inches
- Second Row Hip Room 51.9 inches.
- Engine Type and Required Fuel- Intercooled Turbo Premium Unleaded I-4
- Displacement liters/cubic inches – 1.3 L/81
- Fuel System – Gasoline Direct Injection
- Maximum Horsepower @ RPM – 177 @ 5750
- Maximum Torque @ RPM – 210 @ 1750
- CO2 Emissions, 15K mi/year – 6.8 tons
- Range: city/highway – 292.10 / 368.30 miles
- EPA Fuel Economy, combined/city/highway – 26 / 23 / 29 mpg.
- Fuel Capacity / Gas Tank Size – 12.7.
- Cargo Space/Area Behind Front Row – 50.8 cubic feet
- Cargo Space/Area Behind Second Row – 18.5 cubic feet
- Cargo Space/Area Behind Third Row – 18.5 cubic feet
- Cargo Space/Area Width at Beltline – 40.1 inches
- Cargo Bed Width between Wheel housings – 37.6 inches.
- Maximum Towing Capacity – 2000 pounds
- Maximum Trailer Weight, dead weight hitch- 2000 pounds
- Maximum Tongue Weight, dead weight hitch – 200 pounds
- Maximum Trailer Weight, weight distributing hitch 2000 pounds
- Maximum Tongue Weight, weight distributing hitch 200 pounds.
Those are some of the main features and specifications of the Jeep Renegade. Converting a Jeep Renegade into a camper can be easy if the above steps are followed. A Jeep Renegade is one of the best SUV vehicles that are also built for off-road camping. You can also tow a tiny camper behind the Jeep Renegade with ease.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper?” We have discussed the steps to convert a Jeep Renegade into a camper and described the things that need to be installed. We have also discussed the specifications and features that come along with the Jeep Renegade.