How to convert a horse trailer into a camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the question “How to convert a horse trailer into a camper?” We will describe all the necessary steps of converting a horse trailer into a camper. We will also talk about the pros and cons of converting a horse trailer into a camper. At the end of this post, you will get to know all the required steps to convert a horse trailer into a camper.
How to convert a horse trailer into a camper?
To convert a horse trailer into a camper, you will need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Remove all the brackets, hangers, and all the other interior tack accessories.
- Clean the interiors of the trailer and get rid of any damage.
- Design a layout for the kitchen and bedroom.
- Install the electric system.
- Add insulation and plywood.
- Setup the plumbing.
- Install the cabinets and kitchen equipment.
- Build a bed frame for the bed
Remove all the unwanted stuff
- A horse trailer is different than any other trailer since it is made up of stuff to transport a horse safely.
- You will need to remove all the unwanted stuff in the horse trailer including the interior track accessories, hardware, fans, domes, vents, ramp, and brackets if there are any.
- Be sure to take out all the hangers as well. Remove all the aluminum racks and shelves. If there are any cabinets, you can remove those as well.
- Make sure that your horse trailer is empty on the inside without other accessories. This will make it easier to plan the layout of your camper.
Clean the interiors
- The next step is to do a thorough cleaning of the interiors. Your horse trailer will need to clean up any dirt on the roof, walls, and floor.
- Use a good cleaning liquid to get rid of all the unwanted stains and rust if there are any.
- Be sure to repair any damages present on the roof, walls, and floor. If there are any dents on the surface of the trailer, ensure that it is removed.
Design the layout
- The next step is to design the layout for your camper. You can start this process by measuring the inside of the trailer.
- Once you have the measurements, you can go ahead and design the kitchen and bedroom.
- Be sure to have enough space for the sleeping area while creating a layout.
- Keep in mind that you will need cabinets, in the kitchen and bedroom.
- It is also important to add a kitchen counter and a rack for storing utensils and other kitchen items.
- If your trailer has enough space, you can go ahead and add a seating area in the middle or at the entrance, depending on your preference.
Install the electric system
- Before going ahead with the next step, the most important thing is the fix the electric system.
- Be sure to add electric outlets in your camper wherever required. You will need outlets to plug in all the kitchen appliances or entertainment devices.
- It is also important to plan out the electrical system and wiring ahead of the installation process.
- Make sure to take into consideration the lights and other necessities. You will need to use heavy-duty wires and an outlet to power up your camper and charge the appliances.
Add insulation and plywood
- The horse trailer will already have a wall base but you will be required to make changes and add insulation to keep your camper warm. Adding the insulation and plywood is important and you can also paint or decorate your camper according to your liking.
Setup the plumbing
- The plumbing is pretty important since you are required to have an outlet for your kitchen. If you plan on installing a toilet and shower you will need to have better plumbing in place.
- It is advised to contact a plumbing expert to get the job done. If you plan on keeping it simple, a normal hose will be enough to drain out the water from the kitchen.
- Installing a toilet in a horse trailer might not be an easy task due to the minimal space.
Install cabinets and kitchen equipment
- Install cabinets in the kitchen to keep your utensils and other things. You can also choose to cook outside your camper with the help of a camping stove.
- The other option is to install a gas tank and a gas burner in the kitchen. Adding a small fridge and a microwave in the kitchen will make your cooking easy.
Build a bed frame
- The next thing is to build a bed frame to place a bed for a comfortable nap. Use wood to construct the bed frame since it is easier to alter or remove it when required.
- Once you have the bed frame installed you can go ahead and install a bed. If you have enough room in the bedroom you can consider adding a table.
Fix the floors
- When you are done with all the installations, the last thing that you need to do is fix the floor. Some people choose to fix a linoleum floor since it is one of those cheapest options. A linoleum floor is also lightweight and the installation is easy.
Install a freshwater tank
- You can also install a freshwater tank if required to store freshwater. The freshwater tank can be installed inside the trailer and either in the kitchen or in the bedroom.
Install windows, doors, and vets
- While most horse trailers have their entry points you can still opt to add another extra door if needed. You can also opt to add a door at a proper location. Some people block the existing doors and add another door at a different point.
- It is also important to add a window to the bedroom. You can install doors and windows with ease by creating a space in the walls of the camper.
- Get in touch with an expert if you are not aware of the process of installing doors and windows. Make sure to add vents if required, especially in the kitchen since you might be cooking.
Add a couch
- Feel free to add a couch in the extra space that you have. You can customize the place according to your liking by adding a coffee table. To give your camper a rich look, you can add a carpet on the floor.
Install a TV
- You can also install a television for your entertainment purposes. Installing a wall mount television is easy and you just need a little space.
Complete the painting
- The painting is pretty important in a camper, especially if you have converted a horse trailer. Be sure to give your camper a good painting on the outside and the inside. Feel free to experiment with your camper with different colors and try to make it attractive.
Pros of converting a horse trailer
- Converting a horse trailer into a camper has several advantages. A horse trailer is already a movable vehicle that has a hitch to be towed. All you need to do is to make the alterations on the inside.
- Another pro is that you will have more space in a trailer for a camper. Though there are restrictions, a horse trailer can be bigger than the normal teardrop campers.
Cons of converting a horse trailer
- One of the biggest disadvantages is the entire conversion process. Converting a horse trailer into a camper is going to take you a lot of time.
- It is not easy and you will be required to spend hours of work per day if you need to successfully convert one.
- Having a couple of people to help you in the process will also be a good option. The time factor is the only disadvantage to converting a horse trailer into a camper.
In this blog post, we have answered the question “How to convert a horse trailer into a camper?” We have described all the necessary steps for converting a horse trailer into a camper. We have also talked about the pros and cons of converting a horse trailer into a camper. Drop us a comment below and let us know what you would do to convert a horse trailer into a camper.