In this blog post, we will answer the question “How to convert a box truck into an RV?” We will discuss the benefits of converting a box truck into an RV and list all the details of the conversion process. We will talk about each step and what are the requirements that need to be followed while converting a box truck to an RV.
How to convert a box truck into an RV?
To convert a box truck into an RV, these are the steps that need to be followed:
- You need to first measure the interiors and create a plan
- You will need to implement the plan carefully
- You can next, go ahead and construct the walls
- Next, you will need to install the doors, windows, and vents
- The following step is to install the tanks
- Next, mount the converter and the batteries
- You can then connect the wires
- If you have any extras, you can add these amenities finally
Measure the interiors and create a plan
- Once you have purchased a box truck, the next step will be to get the measurements of the interior.
- Make sure to measure the height, length, and width of the truck.
- Once you are done with the measurements, the next step is to come up with a plan.
- You will need to sketch this out according to what you need and what is important to you.
- Design a layout by sketching it out neatly.
- Plan where you need sleeping space, bathroom, and eating area.
- Make sure to remember where you want to windows and the door.
- Keep in mind that you will need storage space. Adding cabinets or shelves on the walls of the box truck will help. You can always seek the help of a professional to get this task done.
Implement the plan
- Once you have the plan in place, you will need to chalk the lines on the walls and the floor of the box truck.
- Make sure to stick to the measurements and place your windows accordingly.
- Draw an outline of the bed, bathroom fixtures, closets, dining area, etc.
- Make sure you have a plan in place for the furniture and keep a proper balance.
Construct the walls
- Once you have outlined everything, you will need to start the construction process.
- Be sure to construct the walls with a two-by-four-inch lumber framing.
- While fixing the walls, it is recommended that you use deck screws and glue.
- Attach them properly to the truck walls and floor.
- Note: you will need to have provision for electrical boxes and wires.
- Ensure to use the right gauge of wiring for the electrical work. 14 gauge standard automotive wiring is recommended.
- Fix the walls properly and ensure that they are tight.
- Remember, the electrical work and the lighting should be taken care of before adding wood paneling to the walls.
Install the doors, windows, and vents
- The next step will be installing the doors and windows.
- Using a pre-hung hollow core door for the bathroom is recommended.
- Use the same three-inch deck screws to secure the door.
- You can purchase these doors at any home supply store.
- Most of these doors come with hinges, just be sure to get the right size that matches the bathroom.
- You can make your window frame or purchase cheap ones from RV salvage yards.
- It is also required to keep a vent in the roof. Having a vent is always helpful for better air circulation.
- You might need an extra pair of hands to get this task done. Attach the vent by following the same process as how you attach the windows.
- Use the three-inch screws for every installation.
Install the tanks
- Water is the main source that is required in a motorhome and for that, you will need a tank.
- You can install the fresh water tank in a closet or place it somewhere under the dinette.
- You will also need a 12-volt water pump that will connect to the tank.
- Plastic tubing can be used to connect the water to the tap in the bathroom and the sink.
- A black water tank is required if you plan on using a toilet that flushes.
- The best option would be using a portable toilet.
- It is also recommended to fabricate a bracket under the truck body. This can be used to mount the tank for the wastewater from the sink.
- Make sure that all the tubing is connected properly to the sink and the drain.
Mount the converter and batteries
- Install the black or gray water tank in a place where it is accessible.
- You can place the converter under the dinette seat or in a closet and connect the wiring from the out to the deep cycle battery.
- Connect your water pump and the lights to the battery.
- Make sure all the sockets are converted too. It is advised to get an electrician to make this task easier.
Connect the wires
- The last step will be connecting the 30 amp wire to the input connections in the fuse box.
- Ensure to get all the electrical wires connected.
- Make sure there are enough plug points for the appliances that you plan to use.
- That said, you now have the basic idea of converting a box truck into an RV. It is not too hard to convert a box truck into a motorhome as long you have the basics right and you know how to do your plumbing and electrical work.
Converting a box truck to an RV might sound difficult, but the truth is that this can be done with ease. Anyone who has a creative mind and loves camping should be able to get this task complete in no time. You can also request help from a professional to help you fix the things that are required.
Box truck RV conversions have been a trend for a long time. RV enthusiasts have successfully converted a box truck into a motorhome. Converting a box truck can be done at home with the right material and the right tools. The RV community has stuck to this trend for years and many people often go out on a short trips with their box trucks.
Add extra amenities
While this setup might not be as perfect as a full-fledged RV. You can add a water heater, propane system, and a flush toilet to make it more comfortable. If you have the right plan in place, you can also add a small refrigerator to the list. Be sure to keep a budget aside for this conversion project.
The good thing is that box trucks come in different shapes and sizes. People have also successfully converted ambulances and these are easy to do due to the size. There are no limitations to box truck RV conversions. Some box trucks have a four-wheel drive and that adds to the advantage. Here are some of the benefits of a box truck RV conversion.
Benefits of a box truck RV conversion
Maintaining an RV or a travel trailer comes at a price and many people find it a hassle. A box truck that is converted is compact and also not too expensive. Maintaining a vehicle on this site is easy and you can hit the road even at very short notice. Traveling short distances are also an advantage and parking is remarkably easy.
Purchasing a used box truck is not too hard and they come at a cheap price. There are many places where you can purchase a box truck. eBay Motors is one of the best places where you can purchase a box truck and if you are lucky you can get one under $12,000. There are hundreds of people who want to dispose of their box truck and you can easily get one for a cheap price.
RV communities and RV forums are other places where you can get a box truck with ease. In some cases, you could even find an ambulance for a good price and later convert it. Of course, the bigger the size the better for conversion. Yet, many people have built an excellent motorhome out of a box truck.
In this blog post, we have answered the question “How to convert a box truck into an RV?” We have discussed the benefits of converting a box truck into an RV and listed all the details of the conversion process. We have also talked about each step and what are the requirements that need to be followed while converting a box truck to an RV.