How to convert a 2017 Honda CRV into a camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to convert a 2017 Honda CRV into a camper?” We will talk about all the requirements of converting a Honda CRV. We will discuss the installation process and talk about the steps for converting a 2017 Honda CRV camper. In addition, we will discuss the material and installation prices.
How to convert a 2017 Honda CRV into a camper?
If you want to convert a 2017 Honda CRV into a camper, you can follow the different steps mentioned as follows.
- Since you have only the rear space to make use of, you will be required to remove all the seats at the back.
- Once you have done that, you can start the planning process and decide what you need to do with the rear space.
- Fixing a bed is not a difficult task and you will need only minimal materials and tools to get this done.
- Once you remove the seats and all the other extra fittings, be sure to clean out the SUV properly.
- Use a wet cloth to remove all stains and get rid of all the dents and other damages if there are any.
- Make sure that the rear of the SUV is perfectly clean and repaired before you start fixing what you need.
- You might need to remove and clean the side walls as well.
Installing a carpet
Just to give your camper a better look, you can install a carpet on the floor. This will make it look rich and also help you keep the flooring clean with ease. Installing a carpet is easy once you get the measurements of the floor. All you need to do is add some carpet padding and a carpet remnant on the top. Before that, you might need to add 5/8 plywood to the floor if necessary.
Adding extra amenities
Having a camper only with a place to sleep will not make any sense at all. It is important to have a few extra amenities. Be sure to have an option to store water. Carrying around one to three gallons of water will be good enough for a short trip. You can easily camp for a couple of days once you have your Honda CRV converter into a camper.
Adding storage boxes
Purchasing storage boxes is a good idea as you can use these boxes to store utensils or a small stove if required. There are various sizes of storage boxes available and you can get them from any store. These boxes can also be used to place your groceries and food jars. It helps you to be more organised and it is also easy to access.
Installing a bed
If you are a solo camper, then you will need to install a bed that is between 72 inches long and 26 inches wide. This measurement is perfect and it gives you enough space for a comfortable night’s sleep. You can customise your bed according to your requirements and also add more stuff accordingly.
Building a frame
While installing a bed, you will first need to build a frame. A wooden frame is recommended since it can be altered if needed. You can also use a sleeping bag but a bed is a better option. Make sure to use the space below the bed to store your luggage and other things. Measure the inside of the truck before building the frame.
Tips for converting a 2017 Honda CRV camper
While you might have a couple of things in mind, certain steps need to be followed during the conversion process. Note: you can use your measurements according to your needs. These are some of the standard measurements that are best suited for a Honda CRV. Here are some of the steps for converting a Honda CRV into a camper.
- Remove the rear seats and store them in a garage or at home.
- Use carpet or car mats to cover the bare exposed metal of the car floor.
- You can construct a frame or a platform of 2 x 2 and 2 x 3 with lumber.
- The height of the platform can be constructed accordingly but avoid making a platform that is too high.
- You can fix the platform to the bolts that held the rear seats.
- Cover the top of the frame with plywood. You will need to cut the wood to the same size as the bed frame.
- Avoid using one full piece and add two pieces of wood instead. Add hinges to one end of the plywood to access storage space under the frame.
- Use carpet on the plywood or a carpet pad before placing the bed.
- Use foam that will fit perfectly on the platform or get a customised bed to the respective size.
- Use curtains for the windows or purchase some Reflectix from any store and stick them to the glass.
These steps are easy to follow and can be done by yourself. Feel free to get help from another person to finish your work faster. Be sure to clean everything with a vacuum cleaner before installing the bed. You might need to take out all the sawdust and dust. Once you are done, you can go ahead and place the bed on the platform that you build.
Material and installation prices for a 2017 Honda CRV
If you plan on hiring an expert, you will need to pay more to get the job done. No doubt, you will be free for the task and there is no need to worry about getting your hands dirty. Most people get this task done on their own since it’s not too complicated if you have the right materials, tools, and a simple idea for the layout.
- These prices can vary according to the wood, foam, and other materials that you use. However, the basics should get you covered from $300 to $500.
- The wood and hardware should cost you from $70 to $80 and the Reflectix should be under $30.
- The foam will cost you around $70 and the bedding and pillows can go up to $100.
These prices can be lesser than expected and it all depends on what you want and what you need. Converting a 2017 Honda CRV camper is not too hard and many people have completed this project on their own. A Honda CRV is a neat vehicle for camping, but keep in mind that it is not a full-fledged home and try not to camp for more than two or three days.
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to convert a 2017 Honda CRV into a camper?” We have talked about all the requirements of converting a Honda CRV. We have discussed the installation process and talked about the steps for converting a 2017 Honda CRV camper. In addition, we discussed the material and installation prices