How to build steps for an RV?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build steps for an RV?” We will discuss the process of building wooden steps for an RV and talk about the required materials for this project. Additionally, we will discuss the various types of steps that are available for RVs.
How to build steps for an RV?
To build steps for an RV, you need to follow the process described below.
- Measure the RV doorway
- Decide on the type of steps
- Cut the wood
- Build a frame
- Fix the wood together
- Paint the steps
Measure the RV doorway
- The first and most important step is to measure the RV doorway. With the help of a measuring tape, you will need to measure the width of the RV doorway. Be sure to note down the measurements.
- Next, you must measure the height of the RV doorway. Be sure to park your RV in a flat place while measuring the height. Ensure that the measurements are accurate. The RV step that you plan on constructing should be a perfect fit based on the height of the RV.
- The next step is to measure the length. Based on the height of the RV doorway, you should be able to determine how many steps are required. If the RV doorway height is close to two feet, you can build two or three steps depending on your requirement.
- If you want smaller steps, you might need to increase the length. However, make sure that the steps are not too long. As long as the steps can get the job done, you should be good to go.
Decide on the type of steps
- Next, you will need to decide on the type of steps that you plan on building for your RV. There are many types of steps that are used. Some people prefer steel steps while some prefer wooden RV steps. The easiest method is to build wooden RV steps.
- You can also use a combination of both wood and steel. This entirely depends on what you need. Wooden steps for RVs are one of the most commonly used steps and these are not difficult to build.
Cut the wood
- Once you have the measurements in place, it’s time to go ahead and cut the wood for the steps. You will need to have plywood sheets. Make sure that the plywood sheets you use are at least four inches thick. The plywood should be able to take a decent amount of weight.
- Lay the plywood sheets on the ground and cut them into the shape of a step. Remember that you are cutting the sides of the RV steps.
Build a frame
- The next step is to build a wooden frame. Start by cutting the sides of the RV steps. You will need to cut the frame in the shape of steps. Refer to the image below to cut the frame in the right shape. You will need to mark the plywood in the form of steps based on the height and length of the measurements that you took.
- Next, you will need to cut six 2 by 4s based on the width of the RV steps. These 2 by 4s are essential as they are going to hold the RV steps together.
Fix the wood together
- Now that you have the sides of the RV steps and the 2 by 4s, you will need to fix the wood together. Fix the 2 by 4s onto the steps that you cut with the plywood. Use screws or adhesive to fix the 2 by 4s to the side frame.
- You will need help from another person to hold the side frame that you build. Fix the 2 by 4s horizontally and secure the side frame. Add two of these beams horizontally to secure the wood together.
- Make sure to cut plywood for the base of the steps. These plywood planks will need to be fixed onto the 2-by-4s that you use to fix the frame. The planks will need to be cut according to the shape length of the RV doorway and the width should be based on the width of each step.
- The plywood planks will need to sit exactly on the 2 by 4s and the steps should be secure. You can also add extra wood at the rear to make the steps more secure. Most people use wooden steps at home and they consider using a portable RV step while traveling since it is easy to store.
- Fixing the wood is the most crucial part of this project but it is pretty easy once you have everything carved out. Make sure that the wood is fixed together and the steps become sturdy as one.
Paint the steps
- The next step is to paint the steps, you can paint the steps according to a color of your choice or you can choose to stain the steps based on the color of the wood.
- There are no rules when it comes to painting the steps, but it is good to avoid white since they are bound to get dirty fast. Most people stain their steps or simply leave them the way they are.
Building steps for an RV is not complicated and it can be achieved in less than a day. All you need to do is follow the above-mentioned steps and ensure that you use safety gear while working on this project. You can also hire a professional to build steps for an RV. The most important part is getting the right measurements.
Types of steps for RVs
- Apart from wood, there are several other types of RV steps for RVs that are widely used. Here are a few other options that you can consider.
Portable RV steps
- Portable RV steps are one of the most common steps that are used, especially due to their convenience. These RV steps are not too expensive and they are sturdy enough to get the job done.
Steel RV steps
- Many people use steel steps for their RV. Several portable RV steps are usually made up of steel. You can easily purchase or customize RV steps that are made up of steel.
Aluminum RV steps
- Aluminum RV steps are probably one of the best options to consider. Aluminum RV steps have a longer lifespan than the other steps and they are widely used for all types of RVs. These steps are also rust-free and lightweight.
Electric RV steps
- Electric RV steps usually arrive with the RV itself but there are plenty of options and these can be easily installed if required. These RV steps are automatic and easy to use without any hassle. There is no need to carry these steps as they get folded automatically.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build steps for an RV?” We have discussed the process of building wooden steps for an RV and talked about the required materials for this project. Additionally, we have discussed the various types of steps that are available for RVs.