How to build Skoolie bunk beds?
In this blog post, we will answer the following question: “How to build Skoolie bunk beds?” We will discuss the steps to build Skoolie bunk beds right from scratch. We will also touch upon the materials that are required to successfully build a Skoolie bunk bed in less than a day.
How to build Skoolie bunk beds?
To build Skoolie bunk beds, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Determine the measurements
- Construct the frame
- Add crossbeams
- Add plywood
- Secure the frame to the floor
- Build the rails
- Install the ladder
- Stain the bunk beds
Determine the measurements
- With just a few simple steps, you can build Skoolie bunk beds. The first step is to determine the measurements of the bunk beds. Select an area that you seem fit to build the Skoolie bunk beds. Remember that you will need to build the bunk beds against one side of the wall.
- Make sure that there are no items around since you need to build the bunk beds inside the bus. You will need some space to work on the bunk beds. Ensure that the area you choose is perfect, spacious, and strong enough to hold a couple of bunk beds.
- Once you have fixed the area, you need to determine the measurements. This depends on your requirements and the space that you have. Determine the length and width of the bunk beds. Note down the measurements as you go.
- The height is crucial when it comes to bunk beds. Assuming that you are building two bunk beds, you will need to have enough height in between to accommodate both. Make sure to have a minimum of three feet of height in between both bunk beds.
- You will also need to consider the height from the floor to the first bunk bed. Note down the measurements from the first bunk bed to the floor and the first bunk bed to the second.
- It’s also important not to build the bunk beds too close to the roof of the Skoolie. Make sure to get the measurements accordingly.
Construct the frame
- Based on the measurements, you need to construct the frame of the bunk beds. This is one of the easiest ways to build Skoolie bunk beds. There are a few options when it comes to building Skoolie bunk beds. The best approach would be to build these bunk beds with wood.
- Use 2 by 4s or 4 by 6 wood to construct the frame of the bed. You will need to build the frame based on the length, width, and height. Start by cutting the 2 by 4s based on the height dimensions. Cut four beams based on the height of the frame.
- Nest, you will need to cut four beams based on the width and four based on the length. Once you have this in place, you can start assembling the beams to create the frame. Mark the areas where you need to join the beams according to the measurements.
- Start by working your way from the bottom. Attach the length beams to the vertical ones. Use screws to secure them properly.
- Next, add the width beams to the vertical ones in line with the length beams. You should have a rectangular frame running around the vertical beams for the first bed at the bottom. Follow the same process for the bunk bed on top.
- Use “L” brackets where the beams join for more stability. Make sure that the frame is strong and secure.
- Next, you need to add crossbeams between the frames to make them stronger. These crossbeams will also help to fix the plywood and act as a structure to distribute the weight evenly.
- Measure the width once again and cut multiple crossbeams based on the width. Add the crossbeams across the frame.
Check the image below for reference.
- The next step is to add plywood. Cut plywood panels or sheets according to the platform of the bunk beds. Cut the plywood based on the width and length. If you cannot cut one full piece, you can add a couple of strips.
- Fix the plywood to the bunk beds with the help of screws or nails. Make sure that it is straight and sturdy.
Secure the frame to the floor
- This is an important step since you are bound to be traveling in your Skoolie. You must secure the frame to the floor to make it sturdier and prevent it from moving.
- The easiest way to secure the frame to the floor is by using “L” brackets. Fix one end of the bracket to the frame and the other end to the floor. Do this on all four sides of the frame.
Build the rails
- Bunk beds will require rails, especially if you have kids. It is important to build a rail, at least for the top bed. Building rails are pretty easy since you can use the same wood.
- Keep it simple by just adding one vertical beam and one horizontal beam. Keep enough vacant space on one end to climb up. Rails are not essential for the bottom bed. Simply secure the beams to the frame with the help of screws.
Install the ladder
- The most important part of a Skoolie bunk bed is the ladder. A ladder is essential to get on top of the bed. Plenty of ready-to-use bunk bed ladders can be bought and installed. However, it’s always better to install one on your own.
- Build a ladder with the wooden beams that you used for the frame. All you need is two vertical beams and two horizontal beams fixed together. Measure the height from the floor to the top bunk bed. Cut two beams based on the height and cut two horizontal beams that with a maximum of one foot or lesser.
- Attach the horizontal beams to the vertical beams in between. The horizontal beams act as steps to get to the top. Install the ladder to the vacant space near the rail. Secure it properly with screws and make sure that it is sturdy.
Stain the bunk beds
- Next, you need to stain the bunk beds or give them a good coat of paint. Sand the frame a little and add multiple coats of stain until you reach the desired color. You can also choose to paint the bunk beds as an alternative. Choose a color that will match the walls of the Skoolie.
Building a Skoolie bunk bed is easy if you follow the steps above. All you need is a couple of 2 by 4 or 4 by 6 beams, plywood, and screws to secure them together. Feel free to get help from a family member or friend if you cannot work on this project alone. You can also get in touch with a professional to get this task complete.
This blog post answered the question: “How to build Skoolie bunk beds?” We have discussed the steps to build Skoolie bunk beds right from scratch. We have also touched upon the materials that are required to successfully build a Skoolie bunk bed in less than a day.