How to build RV interior walls?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build RV interior walls?” We will discuss the steps in detail along with important tips to build RV interior walls. We will also talk about the common types of RV interior walls that are used today along with their advantages and disadvantages.
How to build RV interior walls?
To build RV interior walls, these are steps you need to follow.
- Remove the wallpaper
- Clear the area
- Clean the walls
- Measure the walls
- Build a frame
- Insulate the walls
- Cover the frame with panels
- Paint the walls
- Add new wallpaper
Remove the wallpaper
- First, you will need to remove the wallpaper on your RV interior walls if you have any. If there are no panels or wallpaper on the interior walls, you can skip this step and move on to the next. Be sure to remove everything properly and make sure that there is nothing in the way while building the RV interior walls.
Clear the area
- Clear the area near the RV Walls. You might need to remove a couple of shelves and reinstall them later. In some situations, RV enthusiasts choose to keep the shelves and work around them. However, this can be a little tricky.
Clean the walls
- Once you have everything out of the way, you can go ahead and start cleaning the walls. Be sure to remove dirt, debris, and other dust particles if there are any. Remove all damage like dents and scratches as much as possible.
- Wash the RV walls with some soap water or liquid. Ensure that there are no other objects inside the RV while cleaning.
- Sand the walls of the RV by using some thick sandpaper. This will make it smooth and easy to fix the other components.
Measure the walls
- The most important thing is to get the measurements right. RV walls can be huge or small but there are windows, shelves, and other things that are around. Be sure to leave out the windows and measure only the walls.
- Measure the length height and width of every wall on all sides and every area that you plan on building. Make a note of the measurements without fail.
Build a frame
- One of the easiest ways to build RV interior walls is by building a frame. You will need to build a frame first based on the measurements and then fix the frame to the RV walls.
- Use wood to build a frame since it is easy to work with. You can use wooden beams that are 2 x 2 inches or 2 x 4 inches according to your preference. Build the frame by laying the reapers across each other vertically and horizontally.
- Leave enough space in between each wooden beam to add insulation. Once the frame is built, it should have a box pattern with gaps. Consider the measurements carefully while building the frame. Do not forget the windows and the other space that is occupied.
Insulate the walls
- Next, you will need to insulate the walls of the RV to keep you warm during winter. Insulation is extremely important for RVs, especially if you go out camping.
- Insulating RV interior walls is easy and there are plenty of methods and techniques that can be used. Some RVs have fiberglass insulation while some have foam.
- Spray foam is one of the easiest ways to insulate the RV interior walls. It is not too expensive and it is also a good plug for any leaks. If you plan on using foam, you will need to cut the foam into pieces and push them behind the frame.
- The frame must act as a cage and hold the foam in place. You will need to push the foam properly and make sure that there are no gaps.
Cover the frame with panels
- Next, you will need to cover the frame with panels. You can choose to use plywood or pre-built wooden panels. Note that you will need to cut the panels according to the frame and the walls.
- Be sure to fit the panels correctly, especially at the windows. You can also add strips of wooden boards or beams to make it more accurate. Screw the plywood to the wooden frame or fix the panels in the same manner.
- The entire RV interior walls will now be complete. Keep in mind that RVs have wiring and other related stuff on the walls like lights. Be sure not to damage the wiring and other important items that are fixed on the RV interior walls.
Paint the walls
- There are prebuild panels that can be installed with ease. These panels can be installed directly. However, if you are adding wood or plywood, you will need to paint the walls.
- Add a coat of primer before painting the walls since you will get a better finish. You can also choose to stain the wood of the interior walls according to your liking.
Add new wallpaper
- For those who love wallpaper, feel free to add wallpaper to the interior. You can still add the wallpaper over the paint. However, this is just an option. Some people choose to paint over the wallpaper since it is easy to remove.
Common types of RV interior walls
Most RVs stick to simple and traditional interior walls. These interior walls are suitable for all RV models as long as there is some insulation. Here are the common types of RV interior walls that you can consider.
- Vinyl walls arrive at an affordable price when compared to the other options. Vinyl is tough plastic and it is durable. It is also one of the best options to avoid water damage. Another huge advantage of Vinyl is that it is a low-budget alternative. Vinyl is not an expensive choice and it is perfect for RV walls.
Composite plywood walls
- Many RV enthusiasts prefer to have composite plywood RV interior walls. Composite plywood walls have different types of wood and they are joined together to get a thick layer of plywood.
- One of the major advantages of composite plywood is its strong structural integrity. It is not easy to cause damage to composite plywood, especially on the interior of the RV.
- Fiberglass interior walls are cheaper than the composite wood. Most RVs have medium-density fiberboard as their interior walls. These are highly affordable and lightweight. On the other hand, they are also extremely flexible and versatile.
- The only disadvantage of fiberglass is that they have a shorter lifespan when compared to the rest.
To build RV interior walls you will need to have the right ideas and some equipment. While it might seem to be a tough job, it is not too complicated. Remember that you might need help from another person while building the RV interior walls. Contact an expert to help you out, if you are unaware of building RV interior walls.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build RV interior walls?” We have discussed the steps in detail along with a few important tips to build RV interior walls. We have also talked about the common types of RV interior walls that are used today along with their advantages and disadvantages.