How to build RV drawers?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build RV drawers?” We will discuss the steps to build RV drawers and talk about the required materials for this project. We will also touch upon the framing process. At the end of this post, you will be able to build RV drawers in less than a couple of days.
How to build RV drawers?
To build RV drawers, you will need to follow the steps described below.
- Measure the area
- Decide on the drawer dimensions
- Build a frame
- Cut the plywood
- Fix the drawer slides
- Fix the handles
- Assemble the drawers
- Stain the drawers
Measure the area
- First, you will need to measure the area where you plan on building the drawers. Use tape to measure the length, width, and height. Note down the measurements of the free space.
Decide on the drawer dimensions
- Next, you will need to decide on the dimensions of the RV drawers. Based on the measurements, you will need to draw a small layout of the drawers. Determine the size of the drawers by considering the length, width, and height. You will need to know the dimensions to move on to the next step.
- It is also important to decide on the number of RV drawers that you plan on building. Based on this, you can go ahead and decide on the dimensions.
Build a frame
- You will be required to build a frame for the RV drawers. The frame can be built with the usual 2 by 4s and plywood. Before building the frame, you can draw the layout or design on the walls of the RV. This is not an essential step, but it is sure to be helpful. You can mark the layout based on the drawer dimensions.
- The frame will need to be built in a form of a rectangular box or the size according to the drawers. You will need to use 2 by 4s to build the frame. Be sure to stick to the measurements while building the frame. You can build a frame that is huge enough to hold up to three or four drawers. This is entirely based on your requirements.
- While building the frame, be sure to have 2 by 4s in between to separate each drawer. It is also good to have all the drawers in the same dimensions. Building a frame is like building an RV storage compartment to hold the drawers.
Cut the plywood
- Based on the measurements of the frame, you can go ahead and cut the wood to build the RV drawers.
- The easiest way to build RV drawers is by using plywood. Make sure you have enough plywood sheets and ensure that these sheets are a minimum of two or four inches thick. The thicker the plywood, the stronger the drawers.
- Cut the pieces according to the frame and make sure that they fit well on each side. The plywood must be cut accurately as per the height width and length of the drawer. Do not forget the bottom part of the plywood. This is usually the measurement of the width and length.
- You will need to fix the plywood to the frame and cut the plywood separately for the drawers. This must be done according to the measurements of the drawer.
Fix the drawer slides
- The most important step is to fix the drawer slides. You must purchase the right drawer slides to match your RV drawers. There are various types of drawer slides be sure to get heavy-duty drawer slides for this purpose. Make sure to attach the drawer slides to the frame that you built.
- The drawer slides consist of two parts, one is fixed to the frame and one is fixed to the drawer itself. Make sure to attach them properly and be sure to double-check if they are sturdy. The drawer slides are usually installed with the help of screws. You might require a driller to install the screws.
- Installing the drawer slides requires accuracy. It is advised to use a marker and mark lines before installing the drawer slides. Make sure that the lines are straight on either side and fix the slides on the lines.
Fix the handles
- In the next step, you will need to fix the handles of the drawers. This should be done before assembling the handles. You will need to have the handles in place to help pull out the drawers from the socket.
- There are various types of drawer handles available that arrive at a reasonable price range. These handles are easy to install as they just need to be fixed with screws at the center. Fixing the handles is easy, just be sure to purchase handles that are not too big or not too small. Medium-sized handles should get the job done.
Assemble the drawers
- Once you have the drawer slides fixed, it’s time to fix the RV drawers. All you need to do is to assemble the drawers that you built onto the drawer slides. This is an easy process but it needs to be done carefully, especially while installing the slides. Try to avoid any mistakes as much as possible.
- You will need to get the rollers onto the RV slides that you installed. Make sure that the rollers are placed properly and you should be able to pull out the drawer. The edge of the slide usually prevents the drawers from coming out.
Stain the drawers
- Finally, you will need to stain the drawers to make sure that they have a good appearance. This is an easy process and it can be done in just one day. Be sure to choose a stain that is good enough to match the plywood and the camper.
- You can also paint the drawers with paint if necessary. Many people opt to paint their RV drawers to match the color of the walls.
Those were a few steps on how to build RV drawers. Building RV drawers can take up to a day or two since you will need time to cut the wood and wait for the stain or paint to dry. Add multiple coats of stain to the RV drawers until you get the right color that you desire. It is also important to get the right slides for easy installation.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build RV drawers?” We have discussed the steps to build RV drawers and talked about the required materials for this project. We have also touched upon the framing process. Have you built RV drawers before? Leave us a comment below and let us know.