How to build an RV sofa bed?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build an RV sofa bed?” We will describe the steps to build an RV sofa bed along with a few tips. We will also discuss the technique and talk about the materials that are required to successfully build an RV sofa bed. At the end of this post, you will get to know an easy method to build an RV sofa bed.
How to build an RV sofa bed?
To build an RV sofa bed, you will need to follow the steps described below.
- Build the wooden frame
- Build a frame for the seat
- Build the bed extension
- Stain or paint the sofa bed
- Add a foam mattress with cushions
Build the wooden frame
- The first step is to build a wooden frame for the RV sofa bed. Before constructing the wooden frame, be sure to decide on a place where you want to build the RV sofa bed.
- Once you have the perfect place in mind, make sure to finalize the RV sofa bed measurements. According to your preference, you can go ahead with choosing the size of the RV sofa bed.
- Make sure to keep it simple but large enough to accommodate two people to sleep comfortably. It is also important to have enough space to sit comfortably.
- Measure the length, width, and height of the sofa and build the frame accordingly.
- First, you will need to build the frame with wooden beams. Construct the frame based on the length, width, and height that you measured. You can also glue and screw the bottom sections to the flooring if necessary.
- Add vertical bracing to raise the seat platform to the desired height. When building the frame, it is good to make the back and the side panel. This panel can be made with thick plywood. Be sure to use strong plywood and screw them together properly.
- Cut out the back of the frame first and then attach the arms to the back. Refer to the image below to build the wooden frame.
Build a frame for the seat
- Now that you have the basic wooden frame built with plywood at the back and the side panel, you will need to build a frame for the seat. In this step, you will need to secure some lumber or wooden beams inside the outer frame that you have constructed.
- Make sure that the frame is set to the size of the seating area and you will be required to add wooden beams across the sitting area.
- Leave enough space between each wooden beam. The space between each beam should be able to accommodate another wooden beam of the same size. Refer to the image below to build a frame for the seat.
Build the bed extension
- Building the bed extension can be a bit tricky but it is not impossible. To build the bed extension, you will need to add a piece of wood to the front open part of the sofa.
- Use a couple of wrenches to secure the piece of wood to the front. The wood must be connected to the frame that is built for the seat.
- You will need to install the slats and front to get the bed extension in place. You might need help from another person to get this task complete.
- Once you build the bed extension, you should be able to pull it forward and push it back. When the extension is intact, you can use it as a couch. When you pull it out, you can use it as a bed. Refer to the image below to build the bed extension.
Stain or paint the sofa bed
- It is essential to give your RV sofa bed a good look and the best way to go about that is by staining or painting the sofa bed. Staining the sofa bed provides a rich look and you can also choose a stain to match the wood and the RV walls.
- Before staining the sofa bed, be sure to use a sander machine to get a smooth surface. You can also round off the edges to get a beautiful round finish.
Add a foam mattress and cushions
- Now that you are done building the frame, the next step is to add a foam mattress and a couple of cushions. There are plenty of options when it comes to adding foam mattresses and cushions.
- Be sure to get a mattress that is well-suited and comfortable. You can also opt for an air mattress if required. The best option is to go in for a foldable mattress. A foldable mattress is always good since you will be able to fold it up during the day.
- Add as many cushions as you like to make your RV sofa bed more comfortable. You can use the space at the bottom to store these cushions if necessary.
- You can also add a couple of pillows and they can be stored under the RV sofa bed as well. Use quality bedspreads to make sure that the bed is clean and neat.
Those were the few steps to building an RV sofa bed. You can also improvise and build your type of RV bed. There are a couple of RV beds that have hinges. However, this process is simple and there is no need to purchase many accessories. Be sure to add a good mattress and at the same time make your RV sofa bed comfortable.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build an RV sofa bed?” We have described the steps to build an RV sofa bed along with a few tips. We have also discussed the technique and talked about the materials that are required to successfully build an RV sofa bed.