How to build an RV port?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build an RV port?” We will discuss the steps in detail on how to build an RV port. We will also talk about the required material to build an RV port successfully. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to build an RV port in one week.
How to build an RV port?
To build an RV port, you need to follow the steps described below
- Measure the space of the port
- Level the space
- Design a layout
- Dig the holes for the post
- Install the posts
- Fix the support beams
- Construct the roof
- Add braces
Measure the space of the port
- The first and most important step is to measure the space of the port. You will need to know the size of the RV and plan the space for your port accordingly.
- With a help of a friend or family member, you will need to measure the port and make sure that there is enough space to park your RV comfortably. There should be a minimum of two to three feet on each side of the port after parking the RV.
- Ensure to measure the length and the width of the RV and design a plan for the port. Measure the RV port space by marking out the plot to your desired dimensions.
Level the space
- The RV port space should be level to park your RV without any hassle. You will also be required to place three or four poles on each side. Hence, you must have the place level with sand or gravel.
- Some people use a combination of both sand and gravel to level the ground of the RV port. In the finishing stages, you can also opt to place cement over the gravel if necessary.
Design a layout
- Make sure you have a layout designed before you start this project. You will need to know the distance between each post that you plan on installing.
- There are plenty of examples of RV port layouts. You can also design a layout based on your preference or requirement.
Dig the holes for the post
- In the next step, you will need to dig the holes for the post. Based on the measurements and layout, you will know how many posts are required. For a large RV port, you will need eight posts, four on each side.
- If you have a medium-sized RV, you will need to use the posts on each side. While digging the holes for the post, you must dig a minimum of two feet deep. If the wind conditions are harsh in your area, you might need to expand up to four feet.
Install the posts
- Next, you will need to install the posts. You might need help from a couple of people to get the poles up. Pour six to eight inches of gravel into each hole while inserting your posts. You can use 4 x 4 posts to keep the RV port strong.
- Install the posts with metal anchors attached and pour the mixed concrete until the holes are all filled. You will need to wait for the concrete to harden.
- Be sure to wait for a day or two until the concrete is set and the posts are stable. It is always better to give it two days to dry properly.
Fix the support beams
- Once the concrete is dry, you can go ahead and fix the support beams. For the support beams, you can use 2 x 6 pieces of wood on top and build a frame for the RV port.
- Use screws of four inches to build the frame. Secure the support beams to the top of the posts that you installed. Be sure that all beams are level throughout.
Construct the roof
- For the roof, you can use 2 x 4 rafters to the top of the support beams. Be sure to secure the front and back two rafters and flush them against the beams.
- Depending on the size, you will be required to use six or eight rafters. Place the rafters between the support beams as required and use screws to secure them.
- Next, you can use plywood sheets to top the rafters and fasten them in place with the screws. Once you have the plywood secure, you can go ahead and attach aluminum or corrugated metal sheets. Some people use polycarbonate, PVC, or standard shingle roofing panels.
- The most important step is to add braces for the finish. You might be required to add 12 or 18 braces depending on the size of the RV port. Be sure to add two braces for each post.
- The braces need to be fixed at a 45-degree angle. You can also add a liberal amount of caulk to any seams in your roof.
Paint or stain the roof
- Finally, you need to choose to paint or stain the exposed wood on the roof. Feel free to give your roof a good color and make sure to stain the roof to match the wood if required.
- Another option is to sheets of aluminum or metal panels on the roof. However, do not add too much weight onto the roof of the RV port.
Required materials to build an RV port
You will need to get the right materials to build an RV port successfully. Building an RV port is not too hard and it can be done in just a week’s time. Here are some of the required materials to build an RV port.
Gravel, concrete, and metal anchors
- There are important materials and you will need these to build an RV port. Make sure to have enough concrete mix and gravel to fix the posts. The metal anchors are going to help you to secure the support beams into the ground.
Wooden or Metal posts
- You will need posts to hold up the support beams and these should be made from four to six 4 x 4 pieces of strong lumber. Lumber is easy to work with, but some people choose to use metal posts to build an RV port.
- These are the wood pieces that are used for the trusses and roof to rest. You will need a minimum of four pieces of 2 x 6 lumber.
- Braces are small or short pieces of wood to fix the support beams. These are used for added stability. Two braces are required for each post.
- Caulk is required to make sure that the roof of the RV port is weather-proof. The caulk will help to seal all the crevices and gaps in the structure of the roof.
- Make sure to have the right roof sheeting depending on your requirements. You can use wooden, plastic, galvanized, or corrugated metal.
Those were the required materials to build an RV port on your own. The process will take up to a week since you need to wait for a couple of days for the concrete to dry. Be sure to seek help for a professional if you are unable to build an RV port on your own. You can also ask your family or friends to help out in this process.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build an RV port?” We have discussed the steps in detail on how to build an RV port. We have also talked about the required material to build an RV port successfully. Leave us a comment below and let us know if you have built an RV port.