How to build an RV dinette booth?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build an RV dinette booth?” We will discuss the steps to build an RV dinette booth right from scratch. We will also talk about the required materials and discuss the finishing touches for this exciting project. These are some of the simplest steps to build an RV dinette booth.
How to build an RV dinette booth?
To build an RV dinette booth, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Choose the area
- Determine the dimensions
- Draw a layout
- Cut the wood
- Install the pedestal
- Fix the tabletop
- Build the seating booth
- Complete the finishing touches
Choose the area
- To build an RV dinette booth you will first need to choose the right area. Scan your RV properly and understand where would be the best place to build an RV dinette booth.
- Make sure that there will be enough walking space around the RV booth after the construction. It is also important to look at the stability of the RV floor. The RV floor must be strong enough to take the weight and it should be sturdy enough to drill screws.
- Once you choose the area, you will be able to determine the dimensions of the RV dinette booth with ease.
Determine the dimensions
- Next, you must determine the dimensions of the RV dinette booth. Make a note of the dimensions for your dinette to come up with a plan.
- First, you must decide on the size of your tabletop. Ensure that the tabletop is large enough to accommodate a minimum of two people. If you have enough space, you can go ahead and build a long table for the RV dinette booth. Just be sure not to keep it too big to interrupt movement up and down the galley area.
- Determine the height of the table and the dimensions of the seating booth. The seating booth should be good enough to match the height and length of the table. Note down the length, width, and height of the seating booth. The same applies to the table.
Draw a layout
- Based on the dimensions, you will need to draw a layout. Use a pen and paper to draw this layout and be sure to write down the dimensions at every spot.
- You can check for references or even look at some other RVs to get an idea of the layout. Feel free to create your style and keep it unique if you wish. Once the layout is drawn, you will have a plan in place and it becomes easy to build the RV dinette booth.
Cut the wood
- Next, you will be required to use wood to build an RV dinette. Wood is light and easy to work with, and it provides a classy finish to your RV.
- Pick up enough plywood and a 2 by 4s for this project. You will also be required to get some hinges for the additional storage space.
- Start working on the tabletop at first and make sure that it is cut to the same dimensions as decided. You can use plywood that is 2 inches thick for the tabletop. The 2 by 4s will be used for the seating area. Cut eight pieces of 2 by 4s based on the measurements of the length.
- Next, you must cut eight pieces of 2 by 4s based on the measurements of the width and eight pieces based on the height. Keep the plywood away for now as it can be cut while building the seating booth.
Install the pedestal
- The next step is to install the pedestal for the tabletop. There are plenty of pedestal options that are portable and adjustable. An adjustable pedestal should be the right match for this project.
- To install the pedestal, you will first need to install the base to the RV floor. Adjustable pedestals arrive with the base and the screws for easy installation. Place the pedestal base on the ground where you want the center of the table and simply drive the screw through to keep it in place.
- Now that you have the base, you can go ahead and screw the pedestal onto the base that you installed on the RV floor. The RV pedestal table leg already arrives with the holder to fix the tabletop.
Fix the tabletop
- Before fixing the plywood for the tabletop, use a sander and smoothen the surface. You will also be required to smoothen the borders and the edges of the tabletop.
- The next step might be a little hard since you need to bend down under the table to mark the area that needs to be drilled onto the tabletop. Use a marker through the holes of the table holders. Double-check and make sure that the table is right at the center.
- Next, you must drill holes into the tabletop for the bolts. Ensure that the holes are drilled exactly at the place that you have marked.
- Use the items that are provided to install the tabletop on the pedestal. Now, your RV table is all set and it’s time to move on to the seating booth.
Build the seating booth
- Use the 2 by 4s that you cut and build a rectangular frame. Attach all the 2 by 4s based on the length, width, and height. You should have two rectangular boxes in the form of a frame for the seating booth.
- Cut the plywood to the measurements of the vacant space and fix them to the frame with nails. For the top part, you will need to cut the plywood a little smaller to the dimensions. You can add hinges to the top plywood and fix it to the frame. The space under can be used for storage.
Complete the finishing touches
- Finally, you can move along to the finishing touches. These are simple steps but they are sure to make a huge difference in terms of appearance and comfort.
- You can either paint the RV dinette booth to match the RV walls or stain them with several coats of stain until you get a good tint. Use a sander to take off the rough edges and make sure you keep the borders smooth.
- For the tabletop, you can either paint it or choose to use a stain. Most people use stains to maintain the proper wood finish. This will also provide a rich look for your RV dinette booth. You can choose to do the same for the seating area.
- Once you are done, go ahead and make a customized cushion for the bench. You can also add a couple of cushions for the back.
To build an RV dinette booth, you will need only a few basic materials like plywood, 2 by 4s, screws, hinges, and nails. You will also need an adjustable pedestal tabletop to make the process simple. This will surely help you in terms of height and you can adjust it according to your comfort. Building an RV dinette booth can be accomplished in just two days.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build an RV dinette booth?” We have discussed the steps to build an RV dinette booth right from scratch. We have also talked about the required materials and discussed the finishing touches for this exciting project. Based on these easy steps, you will be able to build an RV dinette booth in less than two days.