How to build an RV couch?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build an RV couch?” We will describe the steps to build an RV couch and talk about the important materials that are required for this project. We will also touch upon the finishing touches and brake down this project from scratch in a simple manner.
How to build an RV couch?
To build an RV couch, you need to follow the simple steps described below.
- Choose the area
- Take the measurements
- Cut the wood
- Build a couch frame
- Add the plywood
- Assemble the back
- Build the arms
- Stain the couch
- Fix the couch to the floor
- Add the cushions
Choose the area
- Select the area where you want to build the RV couch. There should be enough room to construct the couch along with enough space to move around. While building an RV couch, it is advised to build the couch against the wall of the RV. You can choose to build a couch anywhere in your rig, but most RVs have their couch against the wall to save space.
Consider the type of couch
- It is important to consider the type of couch that you plan on building. Some people choose to build a pullout couch that can be converted into a bed. One of the most common types of couches is the one that has storage under them.
Take the measurements
- Take the measurements of the area where you plan on building the RV couch. You will need to use a measuring tape and determine the dimensions of the RV couch based on the space that you have.
- Note down the dimensions of the length, width, and height. Be sure to build a couch that is good enough to comfortably accommodate three people.
Cut the wood
- Next, you will be required to cut the wood for this project. To build an RV couch you will require plywood and 2 by 4s. This is the simplest and easiest way to build an RV couch with just minimal requirements.
- According to length, width, and height, you must cut the 2 by 4s to get started. First, you will be required to build a couch frame. Hence, it is good to start with the 2 by 4s and move on step-by-step.
- Cut four 2 by 4s based on the measurements of the length and four 2 by 4s based on the measurements of height. You will also need four 2 by 4as based on the measurements of the width.
Build a couch frame
- Start by building the bottom part of the couch frame which is the seating area. To build the couch frame, you need to assemble the 2 by 4s and create a rectangular shape. Fix wooden beams together to create a frame. Use screws or nails to fix the frame.
Add the plywood
- Next, you need to cut the plywood according to the measurements of the frame. Attach the plywood to the front and the sides of the frame.
- Use screws to attach the plywood and make sure that they are fixed properly with the right measurements. Now, the bottom part of the front frame is fixed and it should appear as a box.
- Cut another piece of plywood for the top part of the frame that acts as a lid. This will be the seating area. However, you can add hinges to the top lid and fix the frame to use the under as storage.
Assemble the back
- The next step is to assemble the back. Cut one piece of 2 by 4 wood according to the length of the RV couch. Cut two more pieces of 2 by 4s according to the height that you require. Make sure that there is enough height for you to lean back.
- Add the vertical 2 by 4 beams to the horizontal one. Keep the height a little longer since you need to attach the vertical beams to the couch frame.
- Fix this frame to the other box frame with the help of screws. Make sure that it is secure and strong. Now, you need to cut a piece of plywood to match the frame. Install the plywood to the frame and you will now have a place to lean behind.
Build the arms
- To build the arms, you will need to follow the same procedure as the previous step. However, there are a few changes.
- Cut four 2 by 4 beams according to the desired height of the arms. Make sure that you take the measurements from the ground since the arms will be attached down.
- Next, you will need to cut two horizontal pieces of 2 by 4 wood according to the width of the couch. Attach the horizontal piece of wood to the vertical beams. Now, you should have a frame just like the backrest but only a little smaller to suit the sides of the RV couch.
- Cut two pieces of plywood according to the size of the frame and fix it properly.
- Fix this frame from the bottom of the couch to the original frame that you built. Work cautiously since you need to get the screws in the right place. Make sure that it is sturdy and fixed well. Use adhesive and a couple of screws together. Repeat the same process for the other side as well.
Stain the couch
- Now that the building is complete, you will need to add some finishing touches. First, you must remove all the rough space with a sander and make sure that the surface and the edges are smooth.
- Based on the color of the wood, you can go ahead a start adding the stain. Add as many layers as you want until you get the desired color. Some people opt for a light brown stain while some opt for dark brown.
- Another option is to paint the couch according to a color of your choice. You can also paint the couch brown or white or choose to paint a color to match the RV walls. Painting the couch white will also give you a classy appearance.
Fix the couch to the floor
- Remember that you are going to be moving around in the RV and the couch needs to be stable. One of the easiest ways to fix the couch to the floor.
- With the help of “L” brackets, you can go ahead and clamp the RV to the floor. All you need is four “L” brackets and some screws.
- Attach the brackets at the corners to the base. You can also fix the brackets behind the couch if there is enough space. Use small brackets to secure the RV couch to the floor.
- The most important step is to add cushions to the couch. You can get customized cushions according to the size of the couch or you can easily make your own. Be sure to add cushions for the bench and the backrest.
- Use bright colors for the cushion covers since they are easy to find dirt and also make your RV look more spacious.
- To build an RV couch you will need only a few materials and time. The most important part is getting the right dimensions and assembling the pieces of wood.
- A wooden RV couch is easy to build and there is no need for welding, unlike steel or metal. Contact an experienced professional if you are not comfortable working on this project.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build an RV couch?” We have described the steps to build an RV couch and talked about the important materials that are required for this project. We have also touched upon the finishing touches and broke down this project from scratch in a simple manner.