How to build an RV bench seat with storage plans?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build an RV bench seat with storage plans?” We will discuss the steps to successfully build an RV bench seat with storage plans in less than a day. We will also touch upon the finishing touches to bring out a rich appearance for your RV bench seat.
How to build an RV bench seat with storage plans?
Below are the steps to build an RV bench seat with storage plans.
- Decide on the space and dimensions
- Build the frame
- Reinforce the frame
- Add plywood
- Prepare the lids
- Add hinges
- Install the lids
- Paint the bench seat
- Add cushions
Decide on the space and dimensions
- To build an RV bench seat with storage plans, you will first need to decide on the space and dimensions. Once you know the space where you want to build the RV bench seat, it becomes easier to determine the dimensions.
- Select a space that is preferably near the RV wall. You can use one side of the RV wall and simply build the bench against the wall. Just be sure to remove the baseboard on the RV wall if there are any. It is also good to know if you plan on building one or two RV benches.
- Use a measuring tape to measure the area where you plan on building an RV bench seat. Since it is most likely going to be around a table, be sure that there are no other obstacles nearby. Determine the length, width, and height to build the RV bench seat. The most length, width, or height, the more storage space for the RV bench seat.
Build the frame
- The easiest way to build an RV beach seat is by building a frame. There is no better option than 2 by 4s and plywood. Using wood is the best option to build an RV bench seat with storage plans.
- Build a box structure with the dimensions that you have noted. Start with the length and cut four 2 by 4s based on the length dimensions. Cut another four 2 by 4s based on the width dimensions and cut four 2 by 4s to build the vertical part of the frame.
- Once you have all these in place, you will need to put them together by using nails or screws. The frame should appear like a rectangular box.
- Fix the length and width 2 by 4s together first and add the vertical pieces later on. Now you should have a rectangular or square box based on the dimensions that you have taken.
- With the help of screws, you will be required to install the frame into the RV floor. Make sure that the frame is placed correctly and is not crooked.
Reinforce the frame
- Building a frame is not enough and you will need to reinforce it to make it sturdier. Since you are planning on building an RV bench seat with storage plans, you will be required to add reinforcements.
- Adding reinforcements is easy. All you need to do is add vertical reinforcements based on the dimensions of the frame that you just built. Cut enough 2 by 4s and add them in between every foot along the RV bench frame.
- Use nails to add these vertical beams or drill some screws to set them together. Once you add these reinforcements, the overall frame will be strong enough.
- Next, you will need sheets of plywood to complete the RV bench seat. 2-inch plywood should be good enough to get this task complete.
- Since one part of the frame is stuck to the RV wall, you will be required to cover the front and both sides. Cut the plywood according to the length of the front frame and cut two pieces according to the width.
- Use nails and hammer the plywood onto the frame or use screws and drill them through. Work cautiously while fixing the plywood to the frame.
Prepare the lids
- Next, you will need to prepare the lids and add them on top to complete the RV bench seats. This is one of the easiest and simplest methods to consider. Once you have the lids in place, you can use the space inside the RV bench seat for storage.
- You can choose to add more lids or add just one huge lid for the RV bench seat. This depends on the length of the RV bench seat. If the RV bench seat is too long, you can add up to two or three lids.
- Cut the lid according to the length and width of the RV bench seat. Note: The lid should have a minimum of 1/16 inch gap for the hinges. Hence, it should not be cut to the exact dimensions of the length and width.
- Next, you will need to add hinges to the lid that you built. Piano hinges are one of the best options to consider since they are long. Before installing the hinges, place the plywood on the frame once more and double-check if it is seated properly.
- Install the hinges to the lid first and make sure to use screws for this. Leave enough gaps and ensure that the hinges are straight and rotating easily.
Install the lids
- Now it’s time to install the lids onto the RV bench to complete the process. Place the lids correctly and make sure that they are straight. The lids need to be placed correctly onto the bench frame and they should close in a proper manner.
- Before adding the screws to secure the lids onto the frame, double-check to see if the placement is correct.
Paint the RV bench seat
- Now, the RV bench seat should be all set and you will be required to give it a good coating of paint. You can also choose to stain the plywood. Painting the RV bench seat in a color of your choice is one of the best options.
- Before painting the RV bench seat, you can use a sander to smooth out the rough edges. Sand the borders and remove all the sharp edges. Remove all the dirt and fill all the screw holes if there are any. You can fill these screw holes with the help of paintable wood filler.
- Finally, you will need to add some finishing touches by adding a couple of cushions to the RV beach seat. You can get customized cushions to match the dimensions of the RV bench seat. Use enough cushions to make the RV bench seat comfortable.
The RV bench seat with storage plans is now complete. You can remove the cushions and open the lid to access the storage space below. This is an easy process and it can be built in just one day if you have the right materials in place. Just be sure to get the measurements right and ask for help if you are unable to work on this project alone.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build an RV bench seat with storage plans?” We have discussed the steps to successfully build an RV bench seat with storage plans in less than a day. We have also touched upon the finishing touches to bring out a rich appearance for your RV bench seat.