How to build a wooden RV gate?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a wooden RV gate?” We will discuss the easiest steps to build a wooden RV gate. We will talk about the requirements and essentials for this project. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to successfully build a wooden RV gate in less than five days.
How to build a wooden RV gate?
To build a wooden RV gate, you will need to follow the steps described below.
- Get the measurements of the gate
- Fix the supports
- Construct a wooden frame
- Add crossbeams
- Install the planks
- Install the hinges
- Install a latch
- Paint the gate
- Install the gate to the wall.
Get the measurements of the gate
- The first step is to get the right measurements of the gate. Make sure that gate is wide enough and has a minimum of three or four-foot space on either side of the RV. At the end of the day, your RV should have enough gap to enter the gate without any hassle. Hence, it is important to keep space on the sides.
- Measure the length of the gate and the opening where you plan on installing the gate. You will also need to consider the height of the RV gate that you plan on building. To keep it simple, you can have a seven-foot tall gate.
Fix the supports
- Your RV gate will need to be fixed onto supports on either side of the walls. These supports can be made up of wood, but they must be one foot higher than the RV gate.
- Be sure to use solid wooden beams on each side. These beams must be able to withstand the weight of the entire gate. The thicker the beams, the better. If you plan on building a wooden RV gate that is seven feet in height, then you must cut each of the wooden beams to nine feet.
- Dig a hole and bury one foot in the ground and make sure that you use concrete to secure the beams properly. Wait for a day or two for the concrete to set. It is also important that these beams need to be fixed straight without fail. Crooked beams are sure to cause further damage.
Construct a wooden frame
- Next, you must construct a wooden frame to start building a wooden RV gate. The easiest and simplest way to build a wooden RV gate is by starting with the frame.
- There are a couple of options when it comes to building an RV gate. Some people prefer to have a sliding gate, but the easiest option is to construct a normal wooden gate that can be opened outwards on inwards.
- If you have enough space to park your RV inside, then you should have enough space for an inward-opening gate. Construct the frame of the RV gate based on the measurements. Build a rectangular frame according to length and height.
- This frame can be built with wood. Make sure that each ending of the wood is secured properly. The frame will act as a base to build a wooden RV gate. Use wood that has enough width for the frame since you will be installing the hinges and the latch.
- Now, you should be having a sturdy rectangular frame. Add crossbeams to this frame to make it stronger. You can add around three crossbeams and also add vertical beams to the frame.
- Adding more beams will help to make the gate sturdier. However, avoid too many beams since the gate might become heavy.
- Use screws or nails to get these beams in place. You can also use strong adhesive as an alternative for nails.
Install the planks
- In the next step, you must install wooden plans onto the frame. You can also opt for wooden panels instead of planks. This depends on what you need.
- Cut the wooden panels or the planks and make sure that they are installed vertically close to each other. There should be no gap between these panels or planks since they are required to stick closely together.
- Fix the planks onto the horizontal wooden beams of the frame. Drill holes on the planks and frame if required and use screws to secure them. If you are not keen on drilling holes, you can just use strong adhesive and stick the planks together one-by-one.
- Be sure to keep a small gap at the bottom for the gate to open freely. For the top, you can carve out the design of your won. Most people keep it simple and round off the planks or panels at the edges.
Install the hinges
- Once you are done with the planks, you will need to fit the hinges onto the gate. These hinges need to be fixed at one end of the gate. Since the gate is going to be huge in length and height. It is advised to consider large hinges that are good enough to bear the weight.
- There are plenty of options for hinges, be sure to get the right ones. Fix one side of the hinges with the help of screws and make sure that they are secured properly. You can use as many hinges as you like.
- While installing the hinges, be sure to keep the gate in place with a couple of 2-by-4s on the bottom for support. With the help of a pencil, you can mark where the hinge must be fixed on the gate and the frame.
Install a latch
- To the other end of the gate, you will need to install a latch. There are plenty of options to choose from. You can also opt for a simple latch just to keep the gate shut at all times. Identify the place where you want to place the latch.
- One part of the latch must be fixed on the gate and the other part of the latch must be fixed onto the wooden support. Use a pencil or marker to mark the area before installing the latch.
Paint the gate
- Finally, the fun part of this project has arrived. Get a color of your choice and paint the gate accordingly. Feel free to experiment with the colors and use various combinations if required.
Install the gate to the wall
- The last step is the most crucial step and this is where you will need help. Make sure to have another person with you for this process. You will need to carry the gate and fix the hinges according to the marking.
- Use strong screws to get the gate up onto the hinges. You will need to drill the holes into the supporting beams ahead of installing the gate. Use a driller and make sure that the screws are fitted properly. The gate must be able to balance straight with the help of these hinges.
- Open the gate and check if it is smooth enough without any hassle. The gate should open freely and it should be able to latch onto the other side.
Those were the most simple and easiest steps to build a wooden RV gate. Building a wooden RV gate is just like building the usual wooden gate for a house. However, this will require more effort and help for another person. You can feel free to contact an expert if you are unable to work with wood. This process is easy and it will hardly take you up to five days.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a wooden RV gate?” We have discussed the easiest steps to build a wooden RV gate. We have talked about the requirements and essentials for this project. Have you built a wooden RV gate before? Leave us a comment in the section below and let us know what you feel about this project.