How to build a trailer camp kitchen?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a trailer camp kitchen?” We will describe the steps and all the essentials that are required to build a trailer camp kitchen. We will also discuss the crucial things to consider when building a trailer camp kitchen. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to build a trailer camp kitchen with ease.
How to build a trailer camp kitchen?
To build a trailer camp kitchen, you need to follow the steps listed below.
- Measure the space of the trailer
- Plan the details
- Build storage space
- Install a refrigerator
- Create a workspace
- Add a stovetop
- Get some cookware
- Install a freshwater tank
- Install a sink
Measure the space of the trailer
- The first step is the measure how much space you have in the trailer to build a kitchen. Depending on the type of trailer you have if it is a camper or a teardrop trailer, you are required to check the free space you have at the rear.
- Be sure to get the length, width, and height, and be sure to note it down on in a book. The more space you have, the bigger you can build a trailer camp kitchen.
- Huge trailers already have a kitchen and these are small trailers. Hence, you will need to make the best of the space that you have.
Plan the details
- The second and most important step is to plan the details. Do this based on the measurements that you have. You should be able to determine if your trailer can have a refrigerator or not with the given space.
- The planning process is pretty crucial and you must consider all that you need before going ahead with this process. The most important part is to keep your needs before your wants and make sure to get only what is required the most.
Build storage space
- Once you have everything planned out, you will need to start building storage space. This means you need to get a couple of shelves or cabinets.
- You will need to have space to keep all your essentials like spices, salt, condiments, etc. Hence, you will need a small shelf for this.
- The next thing is to consider some storage space for all the cooking necessities like pots, pans, spoons, plates, and other utensils.
- Be sure to have just the right equipment for cooking and try not to add too many utensils since space is a constraint here.
Install a refrigerator
- A refrigerator/freezer is a must-have if you are planning on camping off-grid. Having a refrigerator will help you to keep food cold for more than a couple of days.
- You can also bring food from home and store them in the refrigerator before you hit the road. Installing a refrigerator is important and you will need to have a small space for this.
- Be sure to get the portable and small refrigerators that are used for camping. These refrigerators are compact and they do not take up a lot of power. However, make sure that you get the ones that are built for small campers.
Create a workspace
- The most important part of a kitchen is the workspace. You will be required to have a workspace to cut all your vegetables and prepare all your food items.
- This workspace should be clean and washable with a non-porous surface if necessary. One of the best options is to go for a built-in stainless-steel workspace.
- These workspaces are built for small trailers and they have enough space to prepare a meal for a mid-sized family. There are multiple options for kitchen workspaces and you can easily get the best. You can also customize the workspace according to your trailer.
Add a stovetop
- There is no compromise when it comes to adding a stovetop. This is the only way to get your cooking done. You will need to get a portable stovetop to get all the cooking done.
- There are built-in stovetops that are designed for trailers and these can be easily plugged into an onboard propane tank.
- Be sure to invest in a good-quality propane stove. Depending on the space that you have, you can either opt for a single or double-burner stovetop.
- There are also griddle-style, triad stoves, and cube stoves available. Be sure to get one that suits you best. While purchasing a stovetop, calculate how many people you will be cooking for and calculate the amount of propane that is required.
- If you find connecting the propane to the stove to be a hassle, you can always opt for a camping stove. A camping stove is one of the best things to consider and it is also sure to help you save more space.
- The most important tip to consider when purchasing a stovetop is to make sure you get a portable one for ease of transport.
Get some cookware
- Now that you have the stove and other things ready, you will need to select your cookware. This is pretty crucial since they can take up a lot of space.
- Make sure to select only what is required. Be sure to have a skillet, soup pot, and a few other cookware items. Do not go overboard and get extra, you might struggle to carry them around and store them.
- You can purchase a cook set to make sure that you have everything necessary. It is also important to get cookware that is lightweight and easy to clean up.
- Be sure to pick up a spatula, some spoons, large tongs, and a quality filet knife. A multi-purpose knife is also a good option to consider as it can come in handy while camping.
Install a freshwater tank
- If you need to get a trailer camp kitchen running, you will need to have a freshwater tank installed. A freshwater tank is necessary to store all the water for cooking. You can also use the fresh water tank to store drinking water.
- There are various sizes and plenty of freshwater tank options to match your trailer. Fresh water tanks are essential and make sure you store them in a safe place.
Get garbage bins
- Many people forget about garbage bins and this can be a huge problem when you cook and plan to camp. You will need a couple of garbage bins preferably one for the dry and one for wet waste.
- It is also not advised to leave anything behind or pollute the area where you plan on camping. Be sure to carry some garbage bags as well and bring back your waste with you.
Install a sink
- There are also a wide variety of small sinks that can be used in a trailer camp kitchen. However, this is just an option and it depends on the space you have left.
- A sink can be combined with taps and pumps to bring out the water. You can also opt for a small plastic tub. Many people find it easy to have a sink while camping.
- The next best alternative is to use a basin of water. A small basin is more than enough if you do not have space. If you have the space for a sink, you will also need to consider where you connect the wastewater.
While those were the most important steps and requirements to build a trailer camp kitchen, it is important to keep it simple. You just need the basic requirements to get everything up and running. Avoid having excessive items and unwanted things in your kitchen. The lighter and simple you keep it, the easier it becomes while traveling and camping.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a trailer camp kitchen?” We have described the steps and all the essentials that are required to build a trailer camp kitchen. We have also discussed the crucial things to consider when building a trailer camp kitchen. Have you built a trailer camp kitchen? Let us know in the comments below.