How to build a temporary RV deck?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a temporary RV deck?” We will discuss the steps to build a temporary RV deck with the required materials. We will also touch upon the dimensions and discuss the process in a simplified manner. At the end of this post, you will be able to build a temporary RV deck in one day.
How to build a temporary RV deck?
To build a temporary RV deck, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Determine the measurements
- Level the area
- Build the frame
- Add the joists
- Add the deck boards
- Paint or stain the RV deck
Determine the measurements
- Building a temporary RV deck is an easy process and it can be done in just a few steps. The first step is to get the measurements of the deck. You will need to understand and determine the size of the deck. This also depends on the area where you plan on building the deck.
- Use tape to get the measurements of the temporary RV deck that you want to build. You will need to measure the length and the width. There is no need to worry about the height. The temporary RV deck also depends on the size of the RV. However, it is also good to keep it simple and small since it is going to be temporary.
- The size depends on your preference. Temporary RV decks are usually up to 12 feet in length and eight feet in width.
Level the area
- Once you have settled on the measurements, you can go ahead and start leveling the area. To build a temporary RV deck, you will need to have a level area. Make sure that there are no stones or uneven surfaces.
- You can use this area to start building the temporary RV deck. This RV deck is going to be a platform for your RV. Hence, it is essential to have a flat area.
Build the frame
- The next step is to start building the frame of the temporary RV deck. Since this is not a permanent solution, it is also good o construct the frame with wood. This is one of the best options and is also easy to dismantle when necessary.
- Building the frame is pretty easy since all you need to do is get the shape of a box based on the measurements. For example, if the length of the RV deck is six feet and the width is four, you will need to build a frame with the same measurements.
- The best way to start building the frame is by using 2 by 6s. This is an easy process since you just need to get the frame together by fixing the corners of the wood. Use screws to make sure that they are sturdy. The frame needs to be stable and it should not be weak.
Add the joists
- Next, you will be required to add the joists in between the frame to fill the vacant space and make the overall structure stronger. Adding the joist will also make it easy to add the deck boards.
- Be sure to cut the joists based on the inside measurements of the wooden frame. These joists are meant to be placed horizontally. Adding the joists is pretty easy since you already have the frame in place.
- Place the joists on the inside and use screws to secure them properly. The most important part for the joints is getting the right measurements. Ensure that they are cut properly and mark the area with a pencil or marker where you plan on installing them.
- Use the same 2 by 6s for the joists. You can add up to three or four joints for a temporary RV deck frame that is up to six feet.
Add the deck boards
- The next part is to add the deck boards. Adding the deck boards is not a difficult task once you have the joists in place. Some people choose to add plywood directly over the frame. You can add one whole piece of plywood over the frame if necessary.
- Adding plywood is also a good option, but you will need to cut the wood to the entire size of the frame. You can also split the plywood in half and place them accordingly if required. However, deck boards are sure to give you a better appearance and a good wood finish.
- Make sure that the deck boards are cut to the length of the frame. The deck boards must be installed vertically. You can start by screwing the deck boards to the frame at each end. You can also use adhesive on the joists in the middle. However, this is not essential since the joists are sure to provide more protection in the center.
Paint or stain the RV deck
- Finally, you can go ahead and paint or stain the temporary RV deck that you built. You can add a color of your choice or plan on staining the deck based on the color of the wood or deck boards. You can also choose to leave the temporary RV deck the way it is without any paint or stain.
- Some people do not paint their temporary RV decks since they are bound to get dirty. That said, your temporary RV deck should be ready in less than a day. It is easy to build a temporary RV deck with wood and a few other materials to fix them together. An RV deck has no limitations when it comes to size but temporary RV decks are usually not too big.
Those were the simplest steps on how to build a temporary RV deck. With the above-mentioned steps, you will be able to build a temporary RV deck in one day. If you plan on building a long or huge temporary RV deck, you can easily split the process by building it in parts. Building a temporary RV deck that is 18 feet long and 12 feet wide might be hard in one go.
Try to keep it as simple as possible and make sure to get in touch with an expert if you are unable to work on this project by yourself. There are plenty of experienced professionals who can help get this job completed. While working, it is always recommended to wear safety gear like glasses and gloves.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a temporary RV deck?” We have discussed the steps to build a temporary RV deck along with the required materials. We have also touched upon the dimensions and discussed the process in a simplified manner. Have you built a temporary RV deck before? Leave us a comment below and let us know.